Allow me to introduce myself, my name is....- Mtbr.com
    I ride bicycles sometimes

Good job! Allow me to introduce myself, my name is....

HOVE....jk.

Name's Fedor and im 22 years old. Just ordered myself a 2009 Motobecane Fantom 29r in Flat Black. Should be here next Tuesday (11th). Cant wait to put this bike together, get the wheels trued and ride!

Im fairly new to i guess serious trail riding? I've had a Iron Horse Maverick 1.5 for about 3 years now. I originally got it at Dicks for 250 bucks. Just something to ride around our local trails with buddies. Never anything serious, just messing around doing small jumps and things like that. When i got the bike i weighed a solid 280 pounds. After riding an entire year almost everyday, i managed to get down to 205 pounds!!!. With a diet of course. Then winter hit.... I got lazy and got a desk job, started to eat alot again and in two years gained around 40 pounds. Bike collected dust because i broke the handle bar and bent my 4th rear rim.

This season i want my 200 pound mark back! I've been riding at my local park (Loch Raven, Towson) about 4 days a week with a friend. I cant get enough. But the terrain and my weight (240) is destroying the poor/cheap Iron Horse. The more expensive parts i throw on, the more the old ones brake. Its just not up to par.

Motobecane Fantom 29r + portion control diet + rest of the summer and fall = me being very happy and active again.

Ill post more pictures on tuesday or wednesday!!!

Heres me two years ago...E.T. style...poor bike...should of seen my rim after this...

Well everything came in like it should. And i have to say the shipping speed and prep work from Bikes Direct was perfect. The bike is flawless. I would recommend them to anyone and would buy there again 100%.

So heres the unboxing...

How it looked inside the box...

all out...notice how well its wrapped...

Box with manuals and front brake set up....

Packaging from the frame....

Everything besides the frame...

My new full carbon gravity riser...

And here she is....Can't wait to tune the derailleurs and take her out for a spin.

Since my camera broke, i only have the Iphone camera for now. Ill have better shots soon. Thanks for looking.

Motobey
    Hop on it and ride it to the max. have fun
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

Quote Originally Posted by mstguide
    Hop on it and ride it to the max. have fun
    Thanks! i will ride this weekend.

Think after i get some new pedals, im going to go tubeless.
    Love the bike. Haven't even ridden it off road yet, and i love the way it feels. the 17" frame fits me perfect!

Motobey
    Fuze
    Moto are not bad I like my 400ds. I have upgrade a few things like air on rear suspension, different seat post, bashguard (BBG). Next I want a 26" handle bar for more control. Overall I took it to North Carolina and had a blast coming down hill on one of their little parks, and that's all the time I had to ride while I was up there. Some of the guys I ride with have Jamis, Gary Fisher, Diamond Back, Treck bikes and they have all busted their frames so far I'm doing good not broken frame for me.
    "Si todos saben lo que ay que hacer por que tenemos problemas" Choose xpst.

So i did about 9 miles this sunday at my local trail (Loch Raven in Towson MD). What an upgrade from my 26r. All the components did very well, brakes were on point, and the wheels...well they clearly just run over everything. I noticed alot less fatigue then usual. This may be because the bike is lighter then my old school iron horse. Also, the 29r made downhill alot more stable, the bike feels planted in turns and at high speeds.

The only negative thing i found so far is that i need a longer seat post. But i already expected that from everything i read about the bike. Overall, GREAT bike. Thanks BikesDirect and Motobecane.

Pic i took with the phone after the ride

No-Brakes Cougar
    Yeah, the seat post is way too short but it's a great bike. I couldn't get over how light it is. Excellent handling!
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

Yea im very happy with it.

Just ordered a carbon fiber seat post to compliment my carbon handle bar. I think once i get that on and slime the tires, ill weigh it and report back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuze911
    So i did about 9 miles this sunday at my local trail (Loch Raven in Towson MD). What an upgrade from my 26r. All the components did very well, brakes were on point, and the wheels...well they clearly just run over everything. I noticed alot less fatigue then usual. This may be because the bike is lighter then my old school iron horse. Also, the 29r made downhill alot more stable, the bike feels planted in turns and at high speeds.

The only negative thing i found so far is that i need a longer seat post. But i already expected that from everything i read about the bike. Overall, GREAT bike. Thanks BikesDirect and Motobecane.
    Ever rode @ Patapsco-Avalon? If so, how does Loch Raven compare. My neighbors have done both and prefer the terrain at Patapsco but ride Loch Raven more often because of convenience (we live near Belvedere Square). I've only done Patapsco so I'm looking for a second comparative opinion.

my bad.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hey Fuze, thanks for the photos on the delivery/setup. I'm ordering my Fantom Trail this evening.

Cool. Enjoy it. I know i did.

Just got myself a carbon seat post and MAN it feels good. Still have to snap more shots and weigh the bike but i injured my finger pretty bad and will not be mountain biking for a couple weeks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Bikes looking good homey

mtbr member
    TAYOTAAA!

So ive had the bike out on the trails for about 10 more rides. I can say that all the "non" branded parts on the bike should be paid attention to. The seatpost, stem, handlebar, seatpost clamp and mainly the cables are something that may need to be swapped later in the bikes life. Even then the bike is still an amazing value.

With that said, i got:

Carbon BBB seatpost
    Carbon Giant stem
    Carbon stem spacers
    Carbon Gravity riser handle bar
    Carbon Tektro brake levers
    DIY road grips
    Ritchey Comp V2 seat
    Slime in tires
    Fork covers
    Chain stay cover
    BMX platforms w/ pins

The reason why im saying that the cables are something to look after is the bike has gotten tuned about 4 times now. All front derailleur. Seems to be great for about a ride and then cable stretch puts the Deore out of whack yet again. I hope it stops soon, which i told it will.

Either way heres some pics of the ride. I love her!!!

Got the bike to the scale with everything listed and all thats in the pics and it weighed in at 28/19 lbs.

Also forgot to mention that im having some trouble with the DART3 fork. The lockout doesn't seem to do much of anything and the reload knob is impossible to turn. Seems like if i use some pliers it begins to move and i can move it to + or - easily. Once you stop turning, it is impossible to start back up again. This might have to be something my LBS is going to have to look at because i cant figure it out. Any advice?

No-Brakes Cougar
    Not sure what's wrong with your fork, but I would definitely have you LBS take a look at it. The lock-out doesn't make the fork completely rigid, there should be a tiny bit of play but it should at least be doing something.

Yea im going to have to do that because i cant even set it to the right settings.

On other news, took another pretty long/hard ride. This time i bent the derailleur hanger. I took everything apart, bent it back, re-tuned the derailleurs and it shifts as clean as day one. I still have to purchase another hanger because this will most likely happen again.

Found this car in the middle of the woods...

Motobecane Fantom Pro > Motobecane Fantom 29 > DiamondBack (dont remember the model name)

Plus ive lost 10 pounds since the day i posted my first thread here. Went from 245lbs to 235lbs. Gotta love Mountain Biking.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    the problem with the fork is that its a dart 3. i have a fantom trail and it came with the dart 3 and i had the same problems you're having. the dart 3 is just a bottom of the barrel kind of fork. I upgraded to a recon 351 and its a totally different bike. the dart 3 really isn't even in the same ballpark as most average quality forks. your fork is such an important part of your ride that if you are riding on regular basis, you should start looking for a new one now. there will be no fixes for that thing, it just sucks.

^Hahah yea sadly thats what i have been reading...

I will definitely be looking for a new fork but the problem is that most decent forks cost almost the same price and this whole bike. So far i have spent $780 total on the bike.

Any advice on an affordable fork?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i scored a recon 351 with u-turn (85mm-130mm) and poplock for $300 from mikesbikes. i don't think you can find a better fork for the $. as far as forks go it might be the best bang for your buck out there and rockshox definitely has your back. the recon 351 is worlds better than the dart 3, its a completely different ride.

Ok so i found the fork but is this a 29 fork?

http://mikesbikes.com/product/09-roc...-lock-3304.htm

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    yea that would be helpful. the one i got was for a 26er, not sure about 29. sorry. either way, keep your eyes open because you will be wondering why the hell you waited once you get a good fork on that thing.

Imma have to wait till january 1st and buy myself a b-day gift ahaha. That fork looks/sounds amazing. Just cant find it in a 29. I might have to get a Tora or Reba but generally if i upgrade it would be to a air shock for sure.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Cool pics Fuze (cool car too, that a '58 Impala?). I love finding random stuff like that in the woods. At an XC park in my neighborhood, we have two old abandoned cars and a No Parking sign that has been almost completely engulfed in the bark of a tree.

I've read all about the problems people have had with the Dart 3, and I guess I've just been lucky with mine (knock on wood). How long have you had the bike? Maybe contact BD and tell them you got a bum fork, see if they feel like doing anything about it?

^ that right there isnt a bad idea at all. Im going to email them as soon as i post this. Ive had the bike for a little over 3 weeks.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Let us know how it goes. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I could swear the BB is making funny noises or feels funny sometimes. I wondering if I'm going to have to replace it sooner than later and if BD will own up. Other people have reported the BB going out on their Moto and it seems like BD is pretty good about it.

^check and make sure your cranks arms are nice and tight. I had this on my other bike and i could of swore it was bottom bracket and it was the arms slightly loose.

No-Brakes Cougar
    ^check and make sure your cranks arms are nice and tight. I had this on my other bike and i could of swore it was bottom bracket and it was the arms slightly loose.
    They don't wiggle when I move them (my old Trek's cranks work themselves loose every other month or so), but I'll get a hex wrench in their and make sure. Thanks for the tip!

Yea i didnt notice any movement either, but they were for sure loose and dont creek anymore. Also make sure its not your seatpost. That seems to happen too.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Yea i didnt notice any movement either, but they were for sure loose and dont creek anymore. Also make sure its not your seatpost. That seems to happen too.
    That could be, I noticed creaking when I would stand up on the right pedal. I'm not very confident in the gripping power of the stock seatpost clamp. It doesn't seem to be sliding down, but it closes a little too easy also.

Just as an update....MotoRaptor tires that came with the bike are great on the rear...but the front is another story. It just plain old unpredictable in anything loose. Ive had it wash out twice. Both were close calls. More research proved that it wasnt my fork or positioning in the turn. Ill be purchasing a new tire for the front.

Sep 2009
    Fuze,
    I am seriously considering a Motobecane 29er, what is the stand over measurement of your 17". My inseam is 32" and cant decide on a 17" or a 19". Thanks

No-Brakes Cougar
    Just as an update....MotoRaptor tires that came with the bike are great on the rear...but the front is another story. It just plain old unpredictable in anything loose. Ive had it wash out twice. Both were close calls. More research proved that it wasnt my fork or positioning in the turn. Ill be purchasing a new tire for the front.
    I've had a few wash-outs and plenty of close calls with the Motos as well. In my experience, they're great with loose on hardpack but get squirrely on really loose, gravely and sandy stuff (which describes the vast majority of trails here in the Bay Area). Let me know what you end up with, because I've been seriously considering a Weirwolf or some other aggressively treaded tire for the front as well.

My inseam is 32" and the 17" frame seems perfect.
    Last edited by Fuze911; 09-14-2009 at 08:30 PM.

So a little update. Ive been putting miles on the bike and so far nothing really major has happened problem wise. Ive had some front derailleur issues due to cable sag and a bent rear hanger. I swapped the tires to some Panaracer Rampage 29's and i must say its an impressive tire. Gobs of grip but super thin sidewall. Blew one out first trip.

Took some cellphone pics on the last ride so id thought id share.

A buddies Motobecane Fantom Pro

Then since its getting dark i started to research bike lights and found out that this forum has some amazing info on lights. Made a "Pond Scum" and i must say, this thing lights up the woods. I haven't done a full ride yet, but from the test i did i can tell its going to be great fun.

20w halogen powered by a home built 14.4v 2650mAh battery pack.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Nice! I've been considering switching to Rampages myself. They seem to be the best option for maximum bite.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So a little update. Ive been putting miles on the bike and so far nothing really major has happened problem wise. Ive had some front derailleur issues due to cable sag and a bent rear hanger. I swapped the tires to some Panaracer Rampage 29's and i must say its an impressive tire. Gobs of grip but super thin sidewall. Blew one out first trip.

Took some cellphone pics on the last ride so id thought id share.

A buddies Motobecane Fantom Pro

Then since its getting dark i started to research bike lights and found out that this forum has some amazing info on lights. Made a "Pond Scum" and i must say, this thing lights up the woods. I haven't done a full ride yet, but from the test i did i can tell its going to be great fun.

20w halogen powered by a home built 14.4v 2650mAh battery pack.
    Nice thread - congrats on the weight loss. I'm trying to do the same thing on a 09 Fantom DS Pro (incredible bike). Could you please post the link, forum or other info on making a Pond Scum. Thanks.

Great tires, just wish the sidewall was a little thicker. It blew out with in 30 minutes of riding on the tire. Guess it could of happened on any tire...Ill have to save up for another one.
    Last edited by Fuze911; 10-01-2009 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Truevine77
    Nice thread - congrats on the weight loss. I'm trying to do the same thing on a 09 Fantom DS Pro (incredible bike). Could you please post the link, forum or other info on making a Pond Scum. Thanks.

Thanks man. heres the link

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=245737

No-Brakes Cougar
    It does seem like the biggest complaint about those are the thin sidewalls. Do you run them at a really low PSI?

Around 38-40psi.

No-Brakes Cougar
    Around 38-40psi.
    Hmm.... that's not really that low considering. I try to keep mine around 20-25 PSI, but I let my rear tire slip down to 15 PSI and got some funny creases on the sidewall, though I've been told it's not actually sidewall damage. Do you have a lot of sharp rocks on your trails?

No sharp rocks. And yea i cant really run tires that low cause im at around 230lbs. So anything less then 35 feels really low and unsafe. Must of just been luck and a an edge on a rock but it got it good. There was a explosion of slime too haha. Mess.

Did another long ride with no issues. Overall, loving the bike!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by damnitzhym
    Ever rode @ Patapsco-Avalon? If so, how does Loch Raven compare. My neighbors have done both and prefer the terrain at Patapsco but ride Loch Raven more often because of convenience (we live near Belvedere Square). I've only done Patapsco so I'm looking for a second comparative opinion.
    Depends which trail you ride at Avalon. Loch Raven isn't as hard, but it's no easy trail. Avalon has much more techical riding and steeper climbs.
    - Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
    P. J. O'Rourke

WOW. Had alot of fun looking back at this thread!!!!

I've learned so much about mountain biking and mountain bikes in general! From learning about components to frame geometry to skills out on the trail, it has all been a blast.

I will try ramble too much so ill just go right to the Fantom. Fist off, its held up great! Sure, it has scratches and its seen some nasty spills. Lots of abuse from my weight (248# at the moment) and me just not going light on it at all!

Overtime i ended up upgrading everything except for the XT derailluer and the frame. Either things broke or were just plain old heavy. In the setup above, the bike weighed 32.5 pounds! Then, i remember i thought carbon was the answer. So i upgraded parts with cheap carbon pieces. In most cases not realizing that some parts would just be better if i spent a little more money of them. I found out real quick its all the things i've been overlooking that are important to complete a bike build that you want to rely on ride after ride.

Heres how the bike sat about a month or so ago:

For those of you who like part lists:

Frame: 2009 Motobecane Fantom 29er (got it as a complete bike and rode it since)
    Fork: 2006 RockShox Reba SL 100mm
    Headset: Origin8 Pro-Pulsion 7075 Gold
    Wheelset: Velocity Blunt Rims, XT Hubs laced with black DT Swiss 2.0
    Skewers: eXotic Carbon QR levers and Hallow Titanium 9mm axles
    Tires: Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4, Stans Tubless
    Brakes: Avid Ultimate Carbon with 160mm Origin8 Torq- Lite Rotors
    Derailluer: Shimano XT with 7075 Gold Jockeys, Deore shifter and Jagwire cables
    Cassette: Sram 980 11-34 cassette
    Crankset: FSA Gravity Gap with Clear Bash, MegaEXO bb and 31t Homebrew Gold 7075 Chain Ring
    Pedals: Crank Brothers Candy C
    Seat Post: Thomson Elite
    Seat: Ritchey Comp II
    Stem: Thomson Elite X4 90mm 0 rise
    Handle Bar: Origin8 Pro-Pulsion 15 Sweep 7075 660mm
    Grips: Road Bar Tape with Cork Bar Ends

Came in at 26.5 pounds in its final stage.

This bike braked like a dream, climbed like a dream, handled single track like a dream but it was lacking something on the downhill. And i knew what i was missing wasn't just another component. I wanted to take the next leap into my MTB adventure so i made the last purchase to this Motobecane story. A new frame. 2010 Rocky Mountain Altitude 29. I really wanted to wait for the Motobecane FS 29er to come out but it was just taking too long and i found a really great deal that i couldn't pass up.

So here is the new steed:

The RM has a slightly shorter wheelbase making it handle a little "faster" allowing me to brake less before and in turns. The Fox rear shock along with the high volume tires, running tubeless, just soak up the roots and cruise over obstacles. It really gets some speed on the singletrack twisties and the downhills i usually bounce all over. The added weight can deff be felt in the rear end however. Its not quite as flickable when popping it over things. Overall, I'd say the FS 29 makes downhill more fun, single track a total blast and climbing more of a chore due to added weight and slight bob.

Im going to be building the moto frame back up with parts i have sitting around to make a second bike i can bash around my local trails time from time. Would be fun to compare the FS and HT head to head on the same trails.

I love the Motobecane brand and the reason they exist. I love that you can get a high end moto that will last forever with great components that are proven to work and i love that there are motos like the one i purchased that will get people out on the trail and enjoy the outdoors like we all do all for a great price. Cant be done by many other companies, not for these prices at least. So, i thank you BD!

Thanks for reading!
    Happy Trails!

mtbr member
    Fuze911: This was a great post. I'm glad you followed up and revived it. I hope you can keep your weight down (you & bike). Ride on!

Members who have read this thread: 0