About to pull the trigger.. 2021 Motobecane HAL29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2020

About to pull the trigger.. 2021 Motobecane HAL29

Hello all,

I'm about to pull the trigger on this bike for $1500 on BikesDirect: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntainbikes.htm

I want a 29er Full Suspension, and this is the only one left in stock. I'd prefer to go for one of the nicer bikes that they are selling with a better set of components, but this is what I'm stuck with. I looked at other manufacturers, direct-to-consumers, and used bikes, but I honestly got kind of overwhelmed by the options... and since I know I'm probably not getting ripped off with BD, I figured I should try here.

This will be my first full suspension, so I figure I can ride it into the ground and sell it to another beginner in a couple years when its time to upgrade.

Here are my questions:
    (1) Should I settle for this bike, or wait for BD to restock some of their more expensive full suspension bikes?
    (2) Should I be worried that this particular bike isn't sold out? (are there any glaring issues with geometry / components?)
    (3) What should I expect to need to replace? Based on looking at the forums so far, people have replaced the SX derailleur, stem, seat, pedals and the bar. Anything else?
    (4) How bad is the SRAM SX gear really? Could I live with it?
    (5) Am I right to just go with what I've seen on BikesDirect, or am I not doing enough research to be buying a new bike yet?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    I believe that bike is sold out already. I tried to buy it myself, it lets you add to the cart but wont let you pay via PayPal.

Im no BD or mountain bike expert but at that price with those goods, I was willing to take a shot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    figures.. i guess thats just the market we are in then! whats your plan bike wise? used?

Trail Ninja
    Even pre-orders for some bikes are sold out, like for the Polygon Siskui T7. https://www.bikesonline.com/2021-pol...on-mountain-bi

Well, at least in some sizes. 27.5 M is still open for pre-order
    "The challenge is not in developing new ideas, but in escaping old ideas."

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by majokren View Post
    figures.. i guess thats just the market we are in then! whats your plan bike wise? used?
    This morning I bought a Vitus Mythique VRS. Got an email alert about stock, bought it and sold out a few minutes later. I wanted the VRX but it never came into stock so thought Id better move on the VRS.

mtbr member
    Sep 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by PTCbiker View Post
    This morning I bought a Vitus Mythique VRS. Got an email alert about stock, bought it and sold out a few minutes later. I wanted the VRX but it never came into stock so thought Id better move on the VRS.
    Woke up to a lovely email from CRC informing me my order was cancelled...back to the drawing board.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by majokren View Post
    I'm about to pull the trigger on this bike for $1500 on BikesDirect: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntainbikes.htm
    That bike was (and now is again) on my short list. My two issues are that the frame's not Boost (not critical for me actually) and it has JoyTech hubs (not a fan). If I bought it I would swap out the rear hub as soon as I could.

mtbr member
    Aug 2020
    I just noticed BD is showing the bike "Soldout Discontinued" on the "add to cart" pull down. So I guess it's off my list again. Getting a new stead used to be fun, now it's just work and disappointment.