About to pull the trigger `08 Fantom Team- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2008

About to pull the trigger `08 Fantom Team

I've been researching for weeks, and I'm about to buy a 2008 fantom team from BD. I wish I new more about the suspension. I know it's not a true Hurst 4 bar, but how does it compare--really.

I just can't seem to find any better deal on a FS XC bike out there. I wouldn't even be going so high end on the specs, but for my 2K budget, this thing wins hands down. How does the frame really perform to the 3-4K bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by m4j2t
    I've been researching for weeks, and I'm about to buy a 2008 fantom team from BD. I wish I new more about the suspension. I know it's not a true Hurst 4 bar, but how does it compare--really.

I just can't seem to find any better deal on a FS XC bike out there. I wouldn't even be going so high end on the specs, but for my 2K budget, this thing wins hands down. How does the frame really perform to the 3-4K bikes?
    I don't own one, so i can't tell you from experience, but I can tell you this: a lot of big companies do not use Horst link suspension. Trek, Gray Fisher, Jamis, Ventana, Kona, Rocky Mountain, Turner, and more. Between these companies, one of the biggest differences is simply the rear shock. The Fantom Team comes with the high end RS Monarch with adjustable platform, so it should be a good, efficient pedaling bike.

More expensive bikes will use fancier patented designs such as VPP and DW-link which people love, but you will pay a lot more for bikes like these.

mtbr member
    I have the '08 Team... but haven't ridden any other $3-4K to compare to. I came straight form a Ti hardtail. But I know I’m enjoying the heck out of this bike.

The RS rear shock works pretty well. The Reba team is awesome (I may even say I like it more that my F80RLT). The component spec is great - including the wheels (I was worried about them and was prepared to buy another set).

In the 2+ months I’ve had it, I’ve put on about 1000 miles. Zero issues with the frame and only minor issues with the avid juicy brakes squealing/howling - which BD solved with a different rotor.

With the rear shock set up properly, I've had no issues with pedal bob.

I don’t' think you would regret the purchase.

HTFU!
    I too have owned my Fantom Team since March and love it! I too have had a bit of noise from my rear brake but was told it was the stock pads. So far I love this bike. I have ridden it only a few hundred miles (still showing my road bike some love), all on trails and it has performed very well on jumps, droppoffs and even a couple of wipeouts. Two different bike mechanics have seen it and agree that the parts alone are worth more than the asking price. One of them saw it on the top of my Subaru and went outside and checked it out without me knowing until he came back in and asked what I paid for it. Anyway, I am happy with the suspension. I pumped both front and rear to 200lbs (I am 175) and that works best for me. I have only ridden hard tails before this bike so I cannot compare to others, but my friend has a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR and he agrees that this is a sick bike. I must agree with trebor, you will not regret the purchase.

Apr 2008
    Well, I just ordered a Fantom Team for myself (ships late June). As I have heard other people on the forum say, even if you hate the frame and toss it, you couldn't get a build kit with those components for less than $2000 (probably more like $2500)...and I am sure the frame is fine anyway.

I do have a question for those who already own a Team. I am thinking about switching out the XTR for SRAM X.9 or X.0.

What size is the rear dérailleur it comes with?

It looks like a long cage, and the Pro actually specs a long cage (rated for 45T). With the 12-27 Ultegra cassette that seems like overkill (44-22 + 27-12 = 37T). Based on that, a SRAM medium should be fine.

Does it seem like there is alot of extra chain? What position is the rear dérailleur in is you switch big-big?

Any idea how much chain stay growth there is though the range of suspension travel?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by svenpup

I do have a question for those who already own a Team. I am thinking about switching out the XTR for SRAM X.9 or X.0.

What size is the rear dérailleur it comes with?

It looks like a long cage, and the Pro actually specs a long cage (rated for 45T). With the 12-27 Ultegra cassette that seems like overkill (44-22 + 27-12 = 37T). Based on that, a SRAM medium should be fine.

Does it seem like there is alot of extra chain? What position is the rear dérailleur in is you switch big-big?

Any idea how much chain stay growth there is though the range of suspension travel?

Thanks!
    It is a long cage.

No extra chain - it is sized appropriately

I haven't checked the chain growth - but I can.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    What size tires are yall running on the stock wheelset? The Tires on the Fly are tiny, but arent these two bikes wheelsets the same? just wondering how big you could go... i was thinking 2.3?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Toss the frame?!!

This bike is amazing. And that goes for the frame too...its ridiculously light, but still super strong. I've done some huge drops on this bike, and i've never had any problems...which is more than i can say for my last bike (specialized stumpjumper comp).

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I missed the boat waiting on my damn stimulus check. All the 18" frames are sold out. I am 5' 10" with a 31" inseam. What do you think about a 16" frame? What are you guys riding? PS: I road (and still have) a 16" barracuda back in the day...

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm 5' 10'' with a 30 inch inseam, and ride an 18" frame. I personally wouldn't recommend the 16", the 18 fits perfect, but I think the 16 would be too small. My gary fisher's a 16 which fits my great because of the genesis geometry, I don't think it would work with this geometry. There's my two cents.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I wish I had ordered the 18, but they are all gone. What type of riding are you doing? Where do you ride? I live in Denver, and would be riding technical rocky mountatin trails.

The differences between the 16 and the 18 are a 1" shorter top tube, and 1.75" shorter seat tube. (lower standover besides this--how does the seat tube length really affect fit any comments?) the wheelbase is .75" shorter and .5deg less rake in the head tube.

I'm thinking all these numbers equate to the handle bars being 1" closer, and the bike being a little more twitchy (shorter wheelbase). any comments?

I'm thinking hard about buying it, just to see if it'll fit and then selling it if it doesn't.

I really want one of these bikes, but I may have to wait for the next shipment/year model...

Mar 2008
    I bought a fantom team. Like bikesdirect, had only one problem. BD does not ship to APO (Armed forces post offices overseas). So i had it shipped to a family member and then paid the 90 dollars to ship it via USPS to me in Germany. the LBS here was impressed said a bike like mine goes for at least 3,000 euro. haven't had much issus with the bike besides the rear cassette needing to be swapped and new tires to match the terrain in the area. I love biking in germany there are hundreds of miles of trails right behind my house and work. Good climbs and single tracks! I say if you are thinking about it, pull the trigger: thumbsup:

Members who have read this thread: 0