700 DS Rear Shock- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

700 DS Rear Shock

Just got the 700DS and love it. The back spring is a little stiff at 850lbs so that will be getting changed out soon. Does anyone have the exact dimensions for the stock rear spring? I want to upgrade the spring to a 400lb spring. Any suggestions or links where I can find one? I've also thought about just buying a new shock, anyone have the exact dimensions for that or a link to a replacement?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I would not recommend going to a lighter spring. The reason it is so stiff is because the suspension design is not very good and will bob all over the place if you put a lighter one on. You need to get an air shock with platform damping to help prevent bob. PM Starkonian, he should be able to tell you about upgrading to an air shock.

http://forums.mtbr.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=363476
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

New question here. 700ds

Anyone know of a good air shock I can upgrade to my 700DS. I just bought a used 2011 700ds model for 300 and I want to upgrade the rear shock. I weigh 165 and I can't even get it to compress nor can my 185 lb friend.

Bushwacker
    Check Ebay. Search Rock Shox shocks. There's a a new RS Sid 6.5" eye to eye for sale now for a little over $100. It has both positive and negitive presure valves. I'm running a RS MC3 I picked up new from Ebay for $95. Like ljsmith says, make sure you get one with a platform for climbing and mashing. The 700 frame allows using a larger than oem shock for added travel, PM me if you want a breakdown of how I did mine.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the info I read message too late I had already picked up a Cloud Nine 6.5" with 1.5" I could not stand the stock spring and the required spacers.

Bushwacker
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyceUnion View Post
    Thanks for the info I read message too late I had already picked up a Cloud Nine 6.5" with 1.5" I could not stand the stock spring and the required spacers.
    Looks like the Cloud Nine has a damper system with lots of adjustments. You're going see a big improvement once you get it dialed in.

I'm running about 25% sag in my MC3 which puts me a centemeter or two above bottom out on my typical biggest hits. Surprisingly I run without any platform 80% of the time. On big fire road climbs I'll flip on some platform or occasionally lock it out for that hard tail feel, but I don't have to. Flowing up and down single tracks I leave it wide open. Even with a good power stroke I bob less than a centemeter. My Tora starts bobbing before the shock but I have a bar mounted compression adjuster to deal with that. The rear gets unruly tho on out of the saddle mashing and that's where the damping system, or lockout, saves the day on this frame. If someone rides mostly on flowy type trails they could get away without a damper on the rear. The way I'm set up now I really don't have the bobbing issues that many complain about with single pivot frames.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi guys,

I read your posts, and someone recommended contacting Starkonian regarding shock upgrades for a Moto... Being a newbie here, all I'm allowed to do is post replies openly. Sorry if I'm hijacking the topic.

I recently purchased a 500DS and I'm very happy with it; I've already upgraded a few things, and I'm having a blast so far.

Now, it is time to upgrade the fork and the rear shock, but I'm having a hard time deciding, so I'm coming here for help.

I'm thinking for the rear shock a Cloud 9 or a Rock Shox Monarch RT3 High Tune. Both are 6.5 eye to eye. What's your take? Is there really a difference between these, and between these and the one that came with the Moto?

For the front, I really like the Rock Shox Tora, but don't know what spec I should get, or if coil or air. I currently have the stock one (SunTour XCT V2), and I don't know if getting the Tora coil will make for a better ride, or if I should spend the money and get air.

Can you throw some pointers? They would be much appreciated!

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jamstefan View Post
    Hi guys,

I read your posts, and someone recommended contacting Starkonian regarding shock upgrades for a Moto... Being a newbie here, all I'm allowed to do is post replies openly. Sorry if I'm hijacking the topic.

I recently purchased a 500DS and I'm very happy with it; I've already upgraded a few things, and I'm having a blast so far.

Now, it is time to upgrade the fork and the rear shock, but I'm having a hard time deciding, so I'm coming here for help.

I'm thinking for the rear shock a Cloud 9 or a Rock Shox Monarch RT3 High Tune. Both are 6.5 eye to eye. What's your take? Is there really a difference between these, and between these and the one that came with the Moto?

For the front, I really like the Rock Shox Tora, but don't know what spec I should get, or if coil or air. I currently have the stock one (SunTour XCT V2), and I don't know if getting the Tora coil will make for a better ride, or if I should spend the money and get air.

Can you throw some pointers? They would be much appreciated!

Happy trails!
    The stock shocks on those bikes are basically useless, so anything is an upgrade. I have not used either of those shocks you listed, but I would go with Rockshox just because I know they make good stuff.

You also will find a huge difference in an upgraded fork. Basically an air fork is more adjustable and lighter, so I would go with that. With a coil fork you may need to get a different coil if you are really heavy or light.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

Bushwacker
    jamstefan~

I sent you my post on up-sizing the rear shock via pm. For the fork I went with the Tora 318 u-turn coil. As ljsmith said, you may have to fine une the coil fork with another spring. The benefits tho for me is the u-turn feature allows me change the fork travel dramatically right on the trail. I ride in area that have huge climbs, single tracks down and fire roads back up. It really niced to be able to lower the fork for climbs and then let it for the descents.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Guys, thank you very much for your input... I have a pretty good idea on what I should do! I'll post some pictures and let you know how it goes after the upgrades are done.

Members who have read this thread: 0