6'2" + people on Fantom DS full suspension- Mtbr.com
    Shifted
    Feb 2009

6'2" + people on Fantom DS full suspension

Anyone 6'2"+ riding on Motobecane Fantom DS comp, Pro, team????
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ompro_dsIX.htm
    http://motobecane.com/fantomgeometry.html

I'm 200lbs, 6'3" with a bit longer legs than typical. 76.5" wing span. Just getting back into riding with a 4 year layoff after my 98 FSR GC got stolen. It was actually a little too small for me.

I'm thinking of ordering a bike without riding it first.. . yeah I know, bad idea. I have been shopping around for good deals and just can't come up with something that beats the value of ordering one from bikesdirect.com.

I'm specifically looking for full suspension light weight.

From riding other bikes, I know a XL specialized FSR, Large Titus ML 1, Giant XL all fit me. titus felt best but I found that the seat needed to be so high, I could barely touch the ground.

Gary Fisher hi fi + Large does not fit me.

The geometry on the Moto fantom is a kinda odd for a large that is suppose to cover the XL crowd as well. The dimensions are limited on the Moto. It has a pretty tall standover height. Low BB height at 11.75", shorter top tube length and wheelbase than most XL bikes.

couple major questions.
    Would you rather buy a bike that is slightly too big or too small?
    Would simply using a 1" offset seat post and 1" longer steering neck be a good way to get the "XL" feel for cabin size?

Any input would be nice.
    thanks

mtbr member
    i'm 6'4" on the 20" Team.

It fits me pretty well with the stock stem (120mm I think). I have a short(ish) torso so that is why if fits well. I had to put a longer seat post on it; 400 mm. Long legs.... 35" inseam. with that long seat tube i have effectively lengthend the cockpit.

Members who have read this thread: 0