600HT Build- Mtbr.com

Thread: 600HT Build

May 2008

600HT Build

So I have been riding a 2006 Marin Palisades for a while now and did not feel comfortable with the bike. Issue was that the stand over height was way too close for comfort. I have good components and decided after reading this forum and others; I would just purchase a new frame.

After getting a 2008 600HT a few days ago I finished the build this afternoon. I was slowed by a headset issue. The headset is a 44mm Zero Stack Integrated headset. I found a Giant (FSA) headset at a LBS. The Cane Creek ZS-2 and ZS-6 would also be great alternatives. I could not find info nowhere on the Motobecane site or I could find after searching the interwebs for 3 days that would tell me what headset the frame had. I ordered a headset with the frame and was told the headset would work but found out it would not. After measuring the ID of the head tube at 44mm, it was clear the one that was sent would not work.

I will not have a chance to ride until next weekend but cannot wait. Pics are below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Thats a nice bike you have there. Glad to hear you got the headset issue sorted out. How much standover do you have on this bike? I ask only because the seat seems really low.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

May 2008
    The stand over is 30 1/2 inches. Compared to the Marin frame I had I now have a few inches.

This frame fits me very well. The 18.5 of the Marin frame was more like a 20" The Motobecane 19" is almost the same geomery as the Marin I had with a shorter stand over and 1" shorter downtube.

May 2008
    Very nice man. Definitely some great stuff on that frame.

May 2008
    Thanks. I took the components off my Marin. I had upgraded a few things that were the most important to me...drive train and brakes. When I did the swap I took the time to deep clean all the parts really well. That is why most components look new. Also got a set of SRAM Flak Jacket cables and housings. I had some CB Mallet Cs but just could not do clipless. I come from the old BMX days and being able to let go of the bike or get off quickly is important. I had too much old learned behavior to stay clipless. I do intend on getting a set of CB 5050x pedals.

Over all the bike weighs in at 30lbs It is a tad but heavier that the Marin but only by a few oz.

May 2008
    I picked up a pair of CB 5050X pedals yesterday and got to ride with them on this morning. I have to say I am impressed. That are not too heavy and they have a large platform. I also added pins to finish filling all the holes.

I found some black steel allen head screws at Home Depot. They were 4 x 8mm and the same size that you would get if you ordered them from CB. Good thing is they are $.40 for 2. I was able to buy 18 packs and 346 screws for a little over $7.

May 2008
    Correction, 36 screws not 346

mtbr member
    Did you pick up just the frame if so where at?

May 2008
    I purchased just the frame. I had all of the components already with the exception of the headset. It is a 44mm and can be tough to find. I have also added an Avid Rolamajig. Rear shifts are crisper now. Also added a red Hope seat collar, skewers, and bar ends. Had to have a little flash. Since I ride mostly on the street, it rolls on 1.95 Conti T & C's

I purchased it here

http://bikeisland.com/cgi-bin/BKTK_S...ils&ProdID=582

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just to clarify, this is the 19" frame you bought? I'm trying to decide between this frame and the Sette Reken. The reken has a TON of super positive reviews, the but tire clearance is only 2.3", whereas the 600HT is 2.5". I like running 2.35's. Also, I like doing XC/All Mountain, and I can't tell if the reken will stand up to it as well as the 600HT's beefier seat stays?

Any advice?

(I know this thread is super-duper old, but I can't start new threads yet as a new member.)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    motoroil, go to the test thread and make 5 posts and then you can start a thread.

mtbr member
    Sweet build. So far are you happy with the axel fork?

Members who have read this thread: 0