529ht- Mtbr.com

Thread: 529ht

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

529ht

Has anyone run the wheels on this bike ghetto tubeless or do you know if it can be done?

mtbr member
    This rim is an alex DH18 rim, so pretty much a narrow 18mm internal width rim. You could probably go split tube and it'll hold (once you give it a week to seal/glue up), but at low pressures, it would fold and get real squirrelly on you. If you just want it for flat protection and are OK at using higher (normal tube) pressures, it should work fine. If you want the benefit of using lower pressure tubeless, I wouldn't bother.

If low pressure is the goal, I'd consider getting a bike with wider rims. Anything with the WTB I25 rims will work well for tubeless. If you haven't checked it out, look at bikeisland.com for the bikedirect's scratch and dent stuff. Can usually find something there that's a better price. I've bought a couple off there that came with busted forks for extra $ off, which was nice because I wanted to replace the fork anyway.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Do you think the gorilla tape method would work?

mtbr member
    I doubt it will work as well as split tube without a good bead shelf in the rim. Don't know what type of bead shelf this rim has though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm trying to get a nicer bike without breaking the bank. The option of going tubeless would be nice, even if I had to do some work to do it. Would something like the fantom 29 x4 be more appropriate with its wider wheels? Would I sacrifice anything in other components? Is there something that I'm not seeing?

mtbr member
    It's better, but not amazingly better. The fanton x4 wheelset still has a 22mm internal width and a so-so bead shelf for tubeless. The WTB i25 rims that come on the gravity 29.1 are a better wheelset. The fantom frame is better, but the gravity frame is still good. I've been using one for maybe 4 years and no complaints.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes with WTB TCS Tubeless Compatible Rims

Another option is the motobecane 429 (have to search google for it). OK bike. not Fantom good, but for the money, it's a good bike. Spend the money saved on a good wheelset down the road.