527ds- Mtbr.com

Thread: 527ds

mtbr member

527ds

Just got her today. Ups didn't deliver till late evening. I only got to ride around the block. Love the color can't wait to break it tomorrow on the trails.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Took her out on the trail today nine mile ride tires spun in the soft beach like sand. Other than that they did what they were suppose to do.
    Things to replace:
    Rear shock is super stiff and flexes very little.
    The rear shock coupled with the hard seat made my rear end ache after 4 or so miles.

Pedals were slippery when wet and slide out from under me time to time while changing gears.

Upgrades as follows.

Rear shock.

Super light weight pedals.

Eventually I will add a down hill front fork.

Lastly when my grips wear out I will replace them.
    I use these grips all the time on my KHE flat land bmx bike absolutely love them. Super grippy and soft on hands.

If I ever find myself lost, I just change where I'm going.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Of the upgrades you listed, I'd double check the following:

Fork: to my knowledge, the motobecane comes with a QR front hub, and that fork requires a 20mm thru-axle. Just look at the suntour upgrade program (search MTBR for a 200+ page forum post about it) and grab a raidon. Great fork for the money. Changing the fork travel above 120mm is asking for trouble in regards to bike geometry and damaging the frame. This is not a downhill bike, and if you use it as a true downhill bike, it will probably break sooner than latter.

grips: the Ourys are great, but for the price, get the lock-on Oury or ODI grips. I bought a set of slip-on oury's for $5. They work fine, but the lock-on ones are a little better. I also like the ease of taking them off/on the handlebar when I break a brake lever.

rear shock: as an alternative, you can get the suntour epicon air shock for about the same price or a little more. I can't say if it's better, but in general, I trust suntour a little bit more than DNM. And make sure you get the right size bushings for your frame. Probably 8mm bolt diameter x 25mm width.

The stock pedals are slick, especially when wet, but shouldn't slip just from changing gears. I didn't see the bolt size on the pedals you linked, but make sure they use the 9/16" mountain/road thread diameter, and not the 1/2" diameter.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input very helpful. The downhill fork was a wish list item. I am eventually going to buy a down hill frame and build from scratch. I've never been a consumer of big name brands. Due to price inflation. I like the smaller start up companies they usually work hard for the money in the beginning till they make it lol.
    I've changed the seat this far I'm 5'11'' 215 lbs (I workout) so the stock seat was not wide or soft enough. The pedals slipped cause of wet conditions coupled with gears shifted a few times. The stock pedals have tiny teeth on them that easily cake with mud clay and sand making them useless. This is my first mountain bike ever I really appreciate the input as I figure out what does what and goes where. I won't be rushing on purchases I do my research before I buy anything. Suntour rear shock I'll have to look it up. Right now I am having a tough time finding a 6" rear shock. Seems like the industry standard is 6 1/2. I'm not looking for a down hill bike per say. I just need a bike that can handle some jumps and drops. I felt like the stock setup may fail after a while.

mtbr member
    I'm glad to have a response this bike thread seems a bit dead compared to some of the other bigger named threads lol

mtbr member
    don't give up on the WTB seat yet. It's actually a decent seat. Earn your iron butt with a couple rides and look up bike shorts/chamois butter. it makes a huge difference. Those wide padded seats are what I like to refer to as "shop floor comfy". Once you start riding on them for over an hour, they go downhill quickly and cause bad chaffing. the bigger seat also makes it difficult to slide around and shift weight on the trail.

I don't know what the stock shock is, but I thought the motobecanes usually came with a 6.5" shock. For an actual 6" shock, the rockshox monarch used to have a 6" 150mm version (maybe out of production though), but for the cost, the DNM and Epicon are a better buy. Also, you can usually use a 6.5" shock instead of a 6" shock if you don't have any frame clearance issues. Using a 6.5" shock with 1.5" travel will be very similar to a 6" shock with 1" travel.

FYI, if you're seatpost height is comfortable, I'd cut some of that bottom seatpost off after it leaves the seat tube. Once it's out of the seat tube, the seatpost doesn't provide any additional support.

mtbr member
    I shaved four inches off my seat post. Nah I gave up on that seat I am running my now old school primo bmx seat which I love. Keeping an old tradition of something from my old bike on my new bike. I measured eye to eye and its six inches across. I read on line the 6.5 will work however the shock will be under constant tension.

mtbr member

Your thoughts please? Still can't find a rear shock that fits.

mtbr member
    the rear shock is always under tension. It just has a different pressure & sag position when you use a 6.5" vs. 6". And using a 6.5" would steepen the headtube, so a longer fork travel would work with it. downside is the center of gravity is increased (only like 15mm though), but upside is more bottom bracket clearance.
    New SR Suntour Epicon LOD Air Rear Shock 165x38mm | eBay

the epicon fork over the raidon is probably overkill on that bike. Kind of like comparing the rockshox Reba vs. the rockshox Recon. both good forks that are much better than the stock fork, but the choice is heavily dependent on riding style and how much money you want to spend. The one you linked is for 27.5" wheels, and although it will work, I'd look for one that'll fit 26" wheels with longer 120mm travel. I also always question the warranty with amazon/ebay forks. The suntour upgrade program is straight from suntour with full factory warranty.

For now, I'd honestly say you should ride that stock fork until you really notice it limiting your riding skill. It's not a great fork, but since suntour added the hydraulic lockout circuits, it has a little bit better suspension damping.

mtbr member
    Dually noted

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Hey OP did you ever buy any of the items you were looking at? I have the same bike a 500DS and now that I am back home from college I spruced up my bike a bit. The 6.5 DNM shock does indeed fit (and works very well even for me that I weigh about 240lbs lol) and is the same exact size as the original KS260.

Members who have read this thread: 0