3 month update - Fantom 29- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2010

3 month update - Fantom 29

The bike has finally seen some real trails; weather and life issues finally relented enough to get some real riding in, and I am impressed. Shots from a pull-off of an easy trail (South Rim on Raccoon Mtn, TN, if you're interested):

Incidentally, the power lines come from a power station that uses a giant artificial lake as a power reservoir, and the bike trails go around the edge of the mountain it is built on. Pretty neat.

So far, the only thing that I have changed was the saddle; the stock piece was too narrow. I will probably change tires before too long, as the nanoraptors are almost useless in loose or damp conditions. I would like something with better grip, especially downhill. Any recommendations?

The fork works well, for me; others seem to dislike the dart 3, but both the preload and lockout work as advertised, and I only bottom out when I do something stupid. If I could change anything about it, it would be to have a remote lockout, since I live in a very hilly area and spend a lot of time out of the saddle. On the other hand, this makes the full suspension bikes less desirable, in comparison.

The large frame took some getting used to; it can be hard to maneuver it through technical bits, though I have gotten better. It is very stable, though, and even when I screw up, it acts in a predictable fashion (i.e. I fall on my butt, not my head ).

Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase, and will probably buy another motobecane for my son when he outgrows his current bike.

S*it Happens!
    Awesome, and nice area.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Members who have read this thread: 0