29er Pro SL arrived...

Printable View

• 11-05-2009
    i2ambler
    29er Pro SL arrived...
    The box showed up last night.. I built it up over the course of about an hour... I only got a chance to tool around the neighborhood last night. It wasnt hard to put together at all - I was surprised that i had to build the entire cockpit, though.. No big deal.

Boxed up:

Built up (notice the Motobecane sticker in first pic):

Impressions so far:

The Bad:
    Front wheel needs truing
    Pedals are crap (replacing them anyway)
    Some of the welds are a little sloppy. I might be nitpicking, because its basically raw metal, and easy to see.
    Motobecane spelled wrong on one side. Lack of quality control, anyone? It is absolutely inexcusable to misspell your own brand name.

The Good:
    One of a kind! Motobceane! Worth millions!
    Feels alot lighter than i thought it would.
    Fork is really friggin nice. PopLoc works great
    Shifts like butter - after minor adjustments
    Brakes are ridiculously powerful.
    No generic bits.

I'll post a build report sometime today at my blog: bigmuddywheels.blogspot.com
  • 11-05-2009
    JPapp
    Nice... I can't believe they misspelled the brand name on the frame. I got my 21" 29er Pro SL a couple of months ago. Been beating it up every weekend. It's a great bike. The only downsize is my buddies call it a catalog bike.....

Have you contacted Bikes Direct about the misspelling?

J
  • 11-05-2009
    i2ambler
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JPapp
    Nice... I can't believe they misspelled the brand name on the frame. I got my 21" 29er Pro SL a couple of months ago. Been beating it up every weekend. It's a great bike. The only downsize is my buddies call it a catalog bike.....

Have you contacted Bikes Direct about the misspelling?

J

I sent them an email. Its not a big deal or anything.. but maybe they will advise on how to fix it, or take the stickers off. It seems alot of people bag on motobecane. However, if you stuck a trek sticker on it, they wouldn't know the difference. The reason, it seems, bd is so cheap is because of the lack of marketing they do. Didnt someone say 'Well, pros dont ride them, so they cant be that good' Well, pros get free bikes.. they get paid.. and bd saves money not having to pay marketing costs, or other overhead., and apparently by hiring dyslexic sticker appliers.
  • 11-05-2009
    ljsmith
    Thats a nice looking bike. Are the decals under a clearcoat? If so then it may not be an easy fix. If they are not under a clear coat they can be taken off and a new one applied if BD sends you one.

I have to say though that you need to shorten your hoses and cables!
  • 11-05-2009
    JPapp
    Probably just need to zip tie the front brake cable to the fork (fork comes with some ties). I didn't need to adjust the cables at all. My frame had the decals under clearcoat (bummer).
  • 11-05-2009
    i2ambler
    Quote:

Originally Posted by JPapp
    Probably just need to zip tie the front brake cable to the fork (fork comes with some ties). I didn't need to adjust the cables at all. My frame had the decals under clearcoat (bummer).

Only came with one ziptie that will work with the front hose.. Ive already got it ziptied to the fork.. The one cable that is def. too long is the poploc cable.. ill have to mess with that later.

** I did notice that i may have my front brake cable routed incorrectly. I need to ziptie the cable to the front of the fork crown, and run the cable behind the fork leg. I will do that when i get home.**
  • 11-05-2009
    isleblue65
    Quote:

Originally Posted by i2ambler
    Well, pros get free bikes.. they get paid.. and bd saves money not having to pay marketing costs, or other overhead., and apparently by hiring dyslexic sticker appliers.

I just spit my drink out:D

It certainly doesn't speak well for quality control seeing the sticker mishap. Do you suppose nobody noticed that during the entire process of installing components, boxing it up, etc or was it a case where they saw it at the last moment and thought it would be too much work to fix?

I just paid the balance on my 2010 Fly Ti Team 29er and I'm hoping attention to detail is good.
  • 11-05-2009
    i2ambler
    Its weird, because, it seems like everything else was really well done. I had zero problems installing everything. The rear brake rubs a bit, but from what I understand, that is pretty common with new brakes. Im assuming they have a machine that rubs the stickers on, then the clearcoat is applied..

I can see how someone missed it - since i put the whole bike together, then went for a ride, and took photos of it, and didnt notice until today AFTER i came to work and posted the pictures to flickr from my camera. I havent even seen it in person yet. I wonder if the camera magically moved letters around and when i get home it will be spelled right. Im thinking not.
  • 11-06-2009
    i2ambler- any update on your sticker problem? Any response from BD?

I think you're in a tough situation. On one hand you probably want a perfect bike for the amount of money you spent. On the other hand, is it worth the hassle after waiting, assembling, and tuning the bike?

Do you plan on doing much more riding this year? If not, I would want BD to replace the bike (or at least the frame).
  • 11-06-2009
    i2ambler
    I have not gotten a response from Bikes Direct as of yet. I sent the email yesterday, and was hoping for a response within 24 hours. I guess thats not going to happen. My email basically just said 'hey, this is no big deal, but do you have some stickers or something to fix it?' I even included a photo.

It is definitely disappointing to have the main HUGE sticker to be misspelled. In fact, its kind of embarrassing. Its VERY hard for me to brag about what a killer bike I got when the brand name's not even spelled right on the frame. Especially since the brand already has a stigma of being just a step up from walmart. Even though I know its just a sticker and doesnt affect the performance at all, it just reinforces - in the minds of snobs, and lets face it, ignorant - that Motobecane is not a worthy brand.

Mistakes happen, and Im not really upset about it. I dont see myself taking the bike apart and shipping it back. I see myself enjoying the bike for quite some time to come. However, the least I would like is an email from Bikes Direct acknowledging the mistake and possibly offering up some sort of solution.. After all, I did just give them a thousand dollars.

** I did use my wife's paypal account to pay..and they have her email on record, not mine. I sent the email explaining the problem with my email account.. so this MAY be causing the delay in response. However, I did include her email address with my email.

We shall see! Other than the sticker issue, Im quite satisfied with the experience.
  • 01-14-2010
    less_than_aaron
    Did you ever hear back from BD?
  • 01-14-2010
    i2ambler
    Yeah.. I got a 100 buck credit to bike island. Or I could have returned the frame - which I deemed a pain in the ass. I still havent used the hundred bucks on anything. Not sure what to get, to be honest.
  • 01-16-2010
    oldassracer
    double post oops
  • 01-16-2010
    oldassracer
    that is weird

Nice $100 bucks from bikesdirect

but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks this could be easily photoshopped...

Got any more pics of the bike in different lighting or macro etc?

Tin foil hat and flame suit on
    :skep: :D

or perhaps this is the russian edition...
  • 01-16-2010
    i2ambler
    Hah.. yes the Russian edition. Actually there are more photos of the bike in the woods on my blog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldassracer
    that is weird

Nice $100 bucks from bikesdirect

but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks this could be easily photoshopped...

Got any more pics of the bike in different lighting or macro etc?

Tin foil hat and flame suit on
    :skep: :D

or perhaps this is the russian edition...

• 01-17-2010
    doctormemory
    3 Attachment(s)
    Motobecane Fantom Pro Satisfaction!
    A few months ago I bought the Motobecane Fantom Pro SL 29er and I'm loving it as well. I've had some second thoughts about the Reba because like Slavedog I don't really push my bikes to critical mass. I love humping up and down the trails at Minnewaska State Park in New York's Hudson Valley Shawangunks, but generally I'm a little more trail oriented. I probably could have skipped the extra bucks for the Dual Air Shock. Still, the bike is great, Bikesdirect gets my vote for straight no-frills ahead savings.

http://bikingthehudsonvalley.shutterfly.com
  • 01-18-2010
    oldassracer
    is your non drive side downtube decal also reversed on the "ec" ?

if it is, sounds like you'll win $100...
  • 01-18-2010
    doctormemory
    1 Attachment(s)
    All decals intact!
  • 01-19-2010
    i2ambler
    Quote:

Originally Posted by doctormemory
    All decals intact!

Nice.. figures - the sticker machine fails once on the frame that I recieve. doh!
  • 01-19-2010
    less_than_aaron
    Quote:

Originally Posted by i2ambler
    Nice.. figures - the sticker machine fails once on the frame that I recieve. doh!

Glad to hear BD did their best to make you happy. I'm still researching my next bike and this is one I'm considering. I am always a little wary of on-line merchants, but it sounds like they do their best to take care of the customer.

I think the messed up sticker is kinda cool. :thumbsup:
  • 01-20-2010
    oldassracer
    Note to self: must learn Photoshop
    :thumbsup:
  • 01-20-2010
    i2ambler
    Quote:

Originally Posted by oldassracer
    Note to self: must learn Photoshop
    :thumbsup:

Troll much? I'm assuming you are intentionally trying to get a rise out of me.. I don't really appreciate your insinuations that I am some sort of cheat. At this point, I think I'll ignore you. Trolls bore me.
  • 01-20-2010
    mrmas
    I got one myself last week to replace an old Rockhopper. Great bargain. Nothing that I could find comes close to the componet group in this price range. Went over mine with a fine tooth comb. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. Who cares what the name is on the frame or if the stickers are messed up. Congrats on the new ride.