29er FS 20 Speed vs 29er FS 30 Speed- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

29er FS 20 Speed vs 29er FS 30 Speed

First year rider looking to take the plunge and upgrade to a Fantom 29 FS soon. I’m debating on going with the XO (Sram) or XTR (Shimano)….any pros or cons on each would be greatly appreciated. My other question is “Are 30 gears really necessary?” I live in Pennsylvania where everything I ride seems up hill but to me 30 seems a little overkill. I am currently riding a 09 Cannondale F5 with 27 speeds and very seldom do I drop down to the small chain ring on the crank. Any advice would be very helpful

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 09F5 View Post
    First year rider looking to take the plunge and upgrade to a Fantom 29 FS soon. I’m debating on going with the XO (Sram) or XTR (Shimano)….any pros or cons on each would be greatly appreciated. My other question is “Are 30 gears really necessary?” I live in Pennsylvania where everything I ride seems up hill but to me 30 seems a little overkill. I am currently riding a 09 Cannondale F5 with 27 speeds and very seldom do I drop down to the small chain ring on the crank. Any advice would be very helpful

The gearing on the 2x10 is pretty stout and replacement chain rings for the 3 bolt pattern are likely to be non existent. For that reason I would go with the 3x10.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If I don't understand that I am sure the OP doesn't either. Write to the reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS View Post
    The gearing on the 2x10 is pretty stout and replacement chain rings for the 3 bolt pattern are likely to be non existent. For that reason I would go with the 3x10.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsled Whore View Post
    If I don't understand that I am sure the OP doesn't either. Write to the reader.
    Let me translate:

He is implying that replacement chainrings for the 3 bolt 2x10 are going to be more difficult to locate than standard 4 bolt chainrings (found on the 3x10). That would be implied as a negative.

He also stated the 2x10 gearing is 'stout' meaning there is plenty of range on the 11x36 cassette (coupled with the 30/42 chains) to give you both reasonably low & high gear ratios.

By the way, I mostly agree with his assessment. I wouldn't however put that much weight on chainring replacement cost and availability. Worst case is you pick up another set of cranks down the road (good reason for an upgrade ) Its something to take note of, but not necessarily a decision maker. In other words, I'd probably pick the 2x10.

Personally, I know the lowest gear ratio on the 2x10 would be fine for myself. But everyone is different, and some one might want a lower one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 09F5 View Post
    First year rider looking to take the plunge and upgrade to a Fantom 29 FS soon.
    First year rider and ALREADY upgrading?!

I'm controlling the upgrade impulse myself...for now anyway.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    By stout he means that the 30x36 low end isn't low enough of a gear for a 29er, and you can't get replacement rings for the weird 3 bolt crankset.

That being said, I just received my 27t 3-bolt replacement ring for my Ti 29er, though I haven't installed it yet - showed up as expected, so they are available. Got mine from Universal Cycles.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dstedman View Post
    By stout he means that the 30x36 low end isn't low enough of a gear for a 29er, and you can't get replacement rings for the weird 3 bolt crankset.

That being said, I just received my 27t 3-bolt replacement ring for my Ti 29er, though I haven't installed it yet - showed up as expected, so they are available. Got mine from Universal Cycles.

This, I'm glad someone could decipher what I posted. Sorry for not being clearer. Thank you. I do think that the 3 x 10 is a better choice for those that can use lower gearing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    As the 2x10 becomes more popular the replacement parts will be there. Sram has already announced lower gears for the crank coming soon.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I am strongly considering the purchase of this bike

2013 Motobecane
    29er Full Suspension Mountain Bikes
    Fantom 29 FS XTR 30 Speed
    Avid Elixir 9 Carbon Hydraulic Disc Brakes

I cannot yet post links (need to post 10X before the forum will allow) or I would. The details are below and it can be found on the Bikes Direct Website.

Frame

Hydroformed Butted and Geometric Multishaped Aluminum tubes,1 set H2O Bosses (Small has no bosses), Four Bar Rocker Arm. Gusseted SL 7005 Aluminum (Disc Brake Equipped) Super Smooth Sealed Cartridge Bearings at critical pivots, replaceable rear derailleur hanger(Customers are reporting there is Room for 2.35" tires)
    Fork

ROCKSHOX REBA RL 29", TAPERED STEERER ALLOY 1-1/8" to 1.5" Taper, 42/47/52CM=193/203/203MM, post mount disc brake, 15mm x 110mm with Maxle Lite QR AXLE, TRAVEL:100mm, External rebound, low speed compression to 'Lock' with internal Floodgate

ROCKSHOX MONARCH RT3 AIR REAR SHOCK
    EYE TO EYE:165mm W/External rebound and 3 position Floodgate switch
    Crankset FSA 10SPD Afterburner MegaExo, 42x32x24T, 175mm
    Bottom Bracket FSA BB-7000-73 (CN LINE: 50.0mm) MEGAEXO BB
    Pedals n/a (requires 9/16 axle)
    Front Derailleur Shimano FD-M980, XTR TOP-SWING DUAL-PULL 34.9MM BAND-TYPE
    Rear Derailleur Shimano RD-M980, XTR SGS 10-SPEED TOP-NORMAL SHADOW DESIGN
    Shifters Shimano XTR, SLM980 SHIFT LEVER, (30 gears total)
    Cassette/Freewheel Shimano CS-M771-10,DEORE XT, 10-SPEED 11-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-32-36T
    Chain KMC X10SL, Silver, 10 Speed
    Hubs Vuelta XRP ALLOY FRONT DISC HUB 28H, MaxleLite 15mm THRU AXLE
    Vuelta XRP ALLOY REAR DISC HUB 32H, 135MM , 2x2 BEARINGS W/ALLOY BLK QR
    Spokes F/R:28/32PCS ( 3 CROSS ) 3.2 AERO, BLK SPOKES W/BRASS NIPPLES
    Rims Vuelta XRP PRO 29" ALLOY BLK FOR DISC ONLY RIM,F/R:28/32H W/FV W/EYELET
    Tires

WTB Prowler SL 2.1 29", 29x2.1" ( 52/52 ) DNA Compound, 60tpi Casing, Folding Bead, presta valve tubes (Customers are reporting there is plenty of room for 2.35" tires)
    Brakes Avid Elixir 9 CARBON HYDRAULIC DISC BRAKE, W/POST DISC MOUNT (front), BLACK, 180mm ROTOR
    Brake Levers Avid Elixir 9 Carbon hydraulic (carbon levers)
    Headset FSA ORBIT 1.5 ZS ,FOR 1-1/8"/1.5" FORK STEM Internal Alloy Cups, 1-1/8" ACB Upper, 1.5" ACB Lower w/Std 15mm top cover, cartridge bearing for threadless
    Handlebar Ritchey PRO ALLOY( 2014 ) FLAT H/BAR(5°) B/CENTER:31.8mm.R/W:0/560mm
    Stem Ritchey PRO 4Axis aluminum, 31.8mm ) EXT6°)110/120/130mm FOR 42/47/52CM
    Tape/Grip Ritchey WCS Hex foam
    Saddle WTB Rocket V saddle, CrMo-rails, Black
    Seat Post Ritchey PRO Aluminum 31.6x350mm
    Seat Post Clamp Super Light Polished Aluminum
    Sizes Small/42cm, Medium/47cm, Large/52cm
    Colors Polished Aluminum

But I have a few questions.

1) I have seen some complaints about wieght - can anybody give me a good estiamte of the wieght of the 2013 with the components listed in the advertisement above. I just sent an email to bikesdirect with the same question, will let the forum know if I get an answer.

2) How much truth is there to the advetisements claimes that other bikes with similiar setups cost 5 to 6K?

3) Are there any modifications that I can and should request from bikesdirect when ordering?

REI offers to build the remainder of the bike + tune it again after 3 months for $70, so I will most likley go that route. This bike will be used for exercise/entertainment about 2 times a week + adventure races about 4 times a year.

Thank you for any input that you may have.

mtbr member
    Last August I got the Fantom FS 29er SRAM 30.

Here are some of my thoughts and experiences:
    1. You will have a hard time finding the same components at that price. My bike was 1999, I see they went up to 2199. Still a good deal.
    2. I think the frame is good; not great, but good. I weight 260 and it performs just as well as my Trek frame.
    3. The wheels are trash that come on the bike. I got a great deal on some CK hubs with Flow rims. It was the best upgrade I did.
    4. I went with the 3x10 because I didnt see the big advantage to the 2x10. The 3x10 has lower and higher gears. Made sense to me. Also, I have only ever rode a triple crank. The terrain I ride is mostly short, steep uphills and fast, short downhills. The triple works great.
    5. SRAM/Shimano. Both are great. I had experience with SRAM so thats what I got. Shimano would have been great also.
    6. The top tube is shorter than conventional frame geometry. This worked out great for me since I have short arms and legs for my body. I am 6'4" and have a 33" inseam. The 52cm (18.5") fit me great and that is what all the online bike-fit-calculators said I should ride. I feel very comfortable on the bike.
    7. When you get the bike, you will be amazed by some components (the drivetrain, suspension, and frame). All else is not noteworthy. The bars, seatpost, stem, wheels, tires, skewers, seat collar, and other small parts are not too great. I replaced the crappy parts with good ones (thomson, crank bros, FSA) and now the bike feels "quality" to me.
    8. The bike isnt worth 5k to 6k, but I could see how an LBS would charge 3500 for it. Im not a bike-pricing expert, but I dont think that number is out of the questions. Someone else could weigh in.

That is my .02. Hopefully it helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the info! I pulled the trigger on the 2013 at $2299. It looks like the price difference came down to year, color, and Shimano vs SRAM. This is a big jump for me, as I will be coming from a 13 year old Gary Fisher HT.

Must wait two weeks before shipping...tick tock, tick tock. Got a 26 hour adventure race coming up in late August, which is also a big step up for me, with the help of this bike, I might just make it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I second the wheel upgrade. I mean they work fine, have bladed spokes, roll somewhat smoothly, but the stock wheels are heavy. I went with the Easton EA70 XC.

The seatpost, stem, etc seem fine to me, so I left those alone.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Another vote for the 3x10

I would go for the 3x10 as well. I have had my Fantom Ti 29er for a year now and love it. I debated over the 2x10 vs. 3x10 and finally ended up going with the 3x10.

90% of my trail riding is done in the middle ring but there are times when I am really grateful for the other gears.

Small ring - riding trails with my kids to force me to go slow, long grinding sandy climbs, when I have overdone it and just need something easy to push to get back to my truck.

Large ring - riding around town, riding pavement to get to the trails, hauling tail on the flats.

If you don't have them you probably won't miss them, but if you do you will most likely use them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    i like a 2x drivetrain, especially with XTR shifters that do not display the gear. I did not like having to look down at my crank all the time to see what ring I was in.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    [ removed - wrong thread ]
    Last edited by SilentGas; 07-05-2012 at 02:27 PM. Reason: delete me - wrong thread

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    It looks like I will be getting a new MotoB in 6-8 months. I am at a dilemma: 29'er Ti XC bike or this FS 29'er?

I like the idea of the speed of the XC bike, but I really only race once a year (if at all) and most of my time is spent trail riding. I'm glad you mentioned the climbing aspect of this bike - climbing efficiency is a BIG factor in my decision making process.

I've been riding hardtails primarily, but I think it's time for a big wheel squish. Anybody know what this bike compares to (in terms of geometry)?

How do you like the stock wheels/tires?

I've owned many BD bikes in the past, btw.

Members who have read this thread: 0