29er or 26?- Mtbr.com

Thread: 29er or 26?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

29er or 26?

Hi, I am thinking about buying a new Motobecane bike, and I am not sure if I want to go with a 29er or with another 26er. I used to have a 17.5" Trek 6000 until it was stolen last summer, and I haven't ridden since. I am pretty much sold on a Titanium frame, but I just don't know which size wheel set to go with. I am 5'9" with a 30" inseam, and if I measure my stand over height using a straight edge it measures at 31". If I went with a 29er would the 17.5" be ok do you think? I appreciate any comments to help me decide.

Thanks

AZ
    banned
    Throw a leg over a couple of similarly sized 29er's to get a feel for size before you order .

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I recomend you check out a copy of Mountian Bike Action this month. They have a shootout among two bikes, almost the same except for the wheel size. They say it spot on IMO. I made the 29er switch last year and their article is spot on.

Here is the long and short .
    29er is like riding a monster truck. It motors over stuff that would stop a 26 inch wheel in its tracks. 29er also will suprise you with grip. climbing and cornering. This is also what works against it. They are big and

26 inch is more nimble.....and substancially easier to accelerate.

IMO a more experienced rider can make a 26 inch bike faster, but it takes effort and skill. I think that a 29er is on average faster for us regular guys and easier to ride. The line you take is less important as it motors over obstacles and is more forgiving.

I will never go back to a 26 inch bike but I can certinally understand why some would stick with it.

Members who have read this thread: 0