26er Vs. 29er Weight?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

26er Vs. 29er Weight?

So I'm looking to purchase a bike and would like to do some racing with it. I'm 6'2"(ish) and I have a few questions.

Between a 26er and 29er, How much of a difference is 7 lbs going to make?

Will the benefits of a 29er outweigh it's weight?

I was all gung-ho about the Fantom 29er Pro SL
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...om29pro_SL.htm

but then I saw the Fly 9357
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...7_wht_2100.jpg

I know the best bet would be to ride both, but give me your opinion on what would be a better trail bike with some light race duty (oh and I also have an 03 Cannondale Jekyll 600) Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The first thing you need to do is ride a 29er (if you haven't already). That should answer your question pretty quickly.

Given your height, you may well enjoy the added smoothness and speed the bigger wheels provide.

That said, 7 lbs. is a huge difference on the trail. Why else would guys spend hundreds or even thousands trying to lighten their bikes by even a pound? Try out some lightweight bikes locally and you'll see what I mean.

I think the 29er Pro SL looks like an awesome deal for $1000. The other bike you compare it to is 50% more money though. Not really a fair comparison.

For me, I first decided that I wanted a 29er after test riding some at LBS. It then came down to deciding between the 29er Pro SL ($1000) at about 28 lbs and the Fly Team Ti 29 ($1800) at under 24 lbs. I decided to go with the more expensive bike. Even though it cost $800 more, I realized it would cost me a lot more than that to lighten the Pro SL by 4 lbs. I couldn't be happier with my decision.

If however, you don't wind up being sold on the 29er concept after some test rides, I would suggest you go with the lightest 26" bike you can afford. Just be sure to ride some decent quality 29ers before deciding. I test rode some 29er bikes at about $1000 at LBS that didn't feel great. It was once I test rode the Gary Fisher Superfly that I knew I had to have a lightweight 29er.

Hope this helps a little.

mtbr member
    I recently purchased my Ti 29er and I love it. She clears EVERYTHING. Its complete blast to ride especially when you put even wider tires like the Stout 2.3 that I have on mine shes a tank. The saddle and grips are garbage but you expect that from most. Im so glad I pu the extra money into it. It does look even better in person then on the site. As soon as I get my new saddle ill post picks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Go to mbaction.com and check out the Breckenridge Firecracker 50. Both womens and mens 1st place were atop 29ers. Also read Richard B Cunningham's Happy Trials in the August 2009 issue.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Ouch and some more 29er love!

In this month's Mountain Bike Action, Richard Cunningham devotes his "Happy Trails" section to the 29er movement.

Some excerpts:

"...the truth is impossible to ignore -- the 29-inch hardtail is superior to its smaller-wheeled cousin in all corners of the cross-country performance envelope. It rolls faster, climbs better, descends with measurable improvement in control, and the larger-wheel format nearly approaches the rough-terrain capabilities of a four-inch-travel, dual-suspension 26er. In short, if you prefer a hardtail, your first and only choice should is a 29er -- unless you ar simply too short to fit between two 29-inch wheels and maintain an ergonomic pedaling position on the bike."

"All of the 29er's technical barriers have been flattened. Folks like Niner have ironed out weight, wheel-strength, tire design, geometry issues and proper gearing."

"Add a few inches of rear suspension to the 29er equation and it will mock any 26-inch suspension bike with less than five inches of inches of travel. After that point, however, physical complications related to swinging a huge wheel int the seat tube bolck the 29er from further encroaching into the territory of the 26er."

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PSpuza
    So I'm looking to purchase a bike and would like to do some racing with it. I'm 6'2"(ish) and I have a few questions.

Between a 26er and 29er, How much of a difference is 7 lbs going to make?

Will the benefits of a 29er outweigh it's weight?

I was all gung-ho about the Fantom 29er Pro SL
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...om29pro_SL.htm

but then I saw the Fly 9357
    https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...7_wht_2100.jpg

I know the best bet would be to ride both, but give me your opinion on what would be a better trail bike with some light race duty (oh and I also have an 03 Cannondale Jekyll 600) Thanks.
    I got the Fantom Pro SL 29er and my first impression is FORGET 26" bikes.

Of course I am not worried about racing and weight.

Weight wise it "feels" lighter than my older Trek 4500 and shipping weight was 34 pounds in box, so figure 29-31 pounds for the bike. It's not a tank at all.

Members who have read this thread: 0