Are the 26" Motobecane HT series going away?- Mtbr.com
    Land of the 230+

Are the 26" Motobecane HT series going away?

My little brother just emailed BD about the the arrival date of the 2015 400HTs, and BD responded that the 400HT has been discontinued, and will not be restocked. It seems that all the 26" HT series will not be restocked. I guess they are moving exclusively to the 27 and 29ers. This is a sad day seeing probably some of the best value bikes of all time go away.

mtbr member
    I can't see them getting rid of the 26" HT series entirely, but I can see them cutting back on models. Maybe go with the higher end HT series under the moto brand, but only have entry level 26" hardtails under the gravity brand. When I first started looking at BD a couple years ago, they had about 10 different moto 26" HT series bikes. Way too many. It could also be a supply thing. They might have had extra parts that didn't fall under the traditional 400HT parts list, so they made a new level to justify the change. (ie. using hydraulic brakes instead of mechanical or an XCT fork with lockout vs. one without).

Land of the 230+
    Well, aside from the 300HT's cantilever brake mounts, the rest of the HT series frames are identical, no? At that point its simply a matter of decals and what parts are used to assemble it. It seems trivial to have a wide range of bikes based on the same frame. But from the looks of it, I dont think they are keeping any 26" motos at all. I dont see any 2015's, and there has been some talk in other threads of the 650b's replacing them across the board.

mtbr member
    to my knowledge, identical. The upper level ones might be the ones with better looking welds, but at the end of the day, same frame.

I hope they keep em. I don't ride 26 any more, because I'm really tall and 29ers feel better to me. I guess it's all about demand. They've probably had a lot more sales from the 29ers and 650's lately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    As much as I love my Moto and my experience thus far with BD, I can understand them being aggressive with regards to cutting and introducing specific bikes. They recently introduced fat bikes and 650B, these will likely be cutting into sales of their other bikes and those are most likely to be 26" .
    BD is operating on far slimmer margins and must make serious choices in order to pass savings. I can understand eliminating lines, even if it upsets folks, to keep the vast majority happy with what they are famous for, good bikes at unbeatable prices. I can imagine having spent all that money ordering a line of 26ers, including groups, only to be unable to sell them. Having to recoup losses isn't a situation they can get away with without their customer being affected.