230 lbs too heavy for a fly pro??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

230 lbs too heavy for a fly pro??

just wondering if it was a bad idea to have such a light bike when i weigh 230? maybe i should stick with fantom ht elite?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    yeah that would be cutting it close in my opinion. I love my fly, but it is truly a light weight cross country bike. If you wanted to lose weight (Not insinuating that you should), but I would use it as a reward once I reached a certain weight because she (the bike) is so worth it! I am going to take another couple rides, and will get a nice little ride report going on my Fly Ti here in a couple days.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks for the reply. i guess i knew the answer to that question just wanted it confirmed bc i really want a light bike. oh well, i guess i will just keep my search in the 26-28lb range as im not losing weight, im actually trying to gain weight, but i have single digit body fat %. my 2 hobbies (bodybuilding and mtbiking) do not coexist very well.

mtbr member
    I have considered 200lb too heavy for a lightweight aluminum frame.

I am comfortable with a titanium Fly.

Get some cheap steel frame, buy a Fly and move parts over.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    you really think at 230 i should go steel? ive never considered it but i guess i will now. im considering buying a used cdale caffeine. what do u think of that frame?

thanks.

Peace & Love
    yes, a 230 lb Fly Pro bike is way too heavy - not sure how thats possible either

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    In my opinion the only thing suspect would be the wheels and tires. You would probably want a stronger/stiffer wheelset and higher volume tires (the stock tires claim they are 1.9, but are really more like 1.7). But the frame should be fine. The Fly frame is no where near as light as it is claimed. I weighed my 18" frame and it is 3.6 pounds with headset cups installed. That is not exactly scary light, but just run of the mill light for an aluminum hardtail. Also considering it is Kinesium, which is stronger that most aluminum tubing I don't see the problem. Now if it truly were the 2.8 lbs claimed, that would be another story.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ssdark1
    you really think at 230 i should go steel? ive never considered it but i guess i will now. im considering buying a used cdale caffeine. what do u think of that frame?

thanks.
    I think it all depends on your riding style, and I have not heard anything particularly bad about caffeine, but from all accounts lightweight aluminum hardtails do fatigue and eventually fail, faster and more likely under a heavier rider. One thing to consider, you will not get Canondales warranty on a used bike.

I have only commented about Fly, as I have seen that frame in person and it is on a lightweight race side. So I passed on it, even as it was a good deal on parts until bikesdirect came out with titanium one, which I happened to like very much so far. I have no fear riding my Sette Shadow DJ aluminum frame. Your mileage may obviously vary...

I do prefer steel and titanium especially on hardtails for their ride and relative peace of mind.

Members who have read this thread: 0