2011 Phantom Elite- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2011 Phantom Elite

Ordered Sunday Evening, for the wrong/early adopter price of $699. The bike arrived via UPS this afternoon four days later. The quality of pics aren't great but I had no desire to dig out the DSLR for a bike build.

Pic of the box, since it seems to be the standard:

The unboxing:

In the stand:

Pulling of the packing material:

Parts that aren't hung from the factory:

Initial ride set up to try out grips/brakes/shifters:

Back in the stand to wire up the computer:

Only fault I have seen so far is the missing nut on the rear presta tube and I've got thousands of those rolling around the garage:

While building it up I did not use the stem/handlebar/seatpost/seat/pedals/seatpost collar. The headset would have been replaced while building it up if I had a spare King or 110. The derailleur adjustment consisted off tightening the rear shifters barrel adjuster two turns, probably the best shifting bike I ever built straight from the box. All in all it was a pretty good deal for 699 but Im not sure how I would feel spending 900 bucks for it. This is my first 29er and first mountainbike in a while with gears so I'm not sure how the weight compares to other bikes on the market but it feels pretty hefty. I'll have to drag the bathroom scale out to the garage and see what the thing weighs.
    Last edited by Ötzi; 10-21-2010 at 04:23 PM.
    The Good Times are Killing me

S*it Happens!
    That's awesome man...congrats.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i like your harley :-)

Trail Ninja
    Those grips aren't stock, are they?
    We're all on the same ship, and it's sinking.

mtbr member
    Nice ride! I dig those fantom frames a lot. Now go for a ride and get it dirty, that thing is way too pretty.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    so how much work did you have to put on it to get it ready to ride? doesn't look like to much

Trail Ninja
    Shimano Dyna-sys with FSA cranks... what's with the FSA cranks on all the Moto bikes? Just noticed the old Time pedals too. Front rotor looks a bit bigger than 160, but I guess that is the stock 160. Thompson Seatpost and Stem. A Flite saddle?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkel81
    so how much work did you have to put on it to get it ready to ride? doesn't look like to much
    Open box, insert seatpost into frame, hang in stand, cut zipties and remove protective materials from frame, mount stem/bars. place shifters and brakes levers on bars, mount front disc rotor and quick release on front wheel, mount front disc brake on fork, mount front wheel, adjust rear derailleur by turning the barrel adjuster two turns, align brakes and rotors, set on ground and ride.

Probably the easiest bike I have ever built. I once made a living being a bicycle mechanic and built bikes very regularly, either the entire industry now does a better job of building up bikes before putting them into boxes or I got lucky with this Motobecane.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I got one coming next week. Did you have to bleed the brakes?

Trail Ninja
    All hyd brakes usually come factory bled. You'd only need to do it if you want to trim the cables down. Mine rear brake came overbled, in fact. Instant bite and a bit of brake rub I couldn't tune out, so I rebled it. It's still instant bite, but could tune out the rub and have a bit of lever pull before it bites. The front feels weak in comparison... wish it were the other way around.

mtbr member
    So the 17" 2011 Fantom Elite weight via my bathroom scale, with the below listed changes to spec and a Sigma wired computer is 29.8 pounds.

Pedals-----------Old School Time Atac
    Handlebar-------31.8 Titec Hellbent
    Stem -------------Thomson X4 100mm
    Grip---------------Ergon GX1
    Saddle-----------Selle Italia Flite perforated
    Seat Post-------Black Thomson Elite 27.2mmx 410mm
    Post Clamp----Crappy non quick release stolen off wifes around town bike.

I also removed the rear spoke protector, the SLX Gear indicators and replaced the aluminum headset spacers with carbon fiber. The headset which is listed as a Cane Creek Sealed Bearing and is definitely not a sealed bearing, will soon be replaced with a Chris King and the seatpost collar is being replaced with a Thomson.

I still think the elite is a decent deal since most of those things I would replace on most bikes under the $2000 range. Where I think the most blatant corners on the Elite were cut is the stem, handlebar, seatpost and headset.

Finally below is the handlebar setup with a picture of how I mounted my Pop Loc for anyone who has never run one and wondered where to place it. I also replaced the supplied cable housing for the Pop Loc with a shorter piece of housing.

]

Trail Ninja
    Does it ride like an XC race bike or more like a trail/AM bike? My Moto Fly Team 29 Ti XO is a bit too racy for my taste. Parts are a bit too fragile, at least the front wheel (taco'd it riding down a local 1600' mtn) and doesn't descend too well. I'm not sure what it is; the wheelbase is only 1" shorter than my last bike, with a .7" shorter ETT, same chainstay length, 20mm more travel up front; all the other specs are so similar, it feels like Moto ripped off Gary Fisher's geo for their bikes. Hmm, does 1" make that much of a difference on a bike? I upgraded mainly cause I wanted to size down.

mtbr member

Went on my first ride with the Fantom 29er today. It was the first time I have ridden a 29er and the first time in eight or so years I have ridden single track with a bike with gears or a bike that isn't steel. I really enjoyed it, the 29er definitely seemed to feel like it took longer to get up to speed. I'm sure some of that could be negated with lighter tires/wheels but it rolled over just about everything I pointed it at on the trail. All of the crap i usually roll around to not suck off speed with the single speed was eaten up by the 29er. The 30 speed drivetrain worked well, even though I really only used ten of those speeds for the most part. I will more than likely turn it into a 2x10 drivetrain soon enough since I cannot see any need for the granny gear with the 36t in the rear. The Nano tire in the rear worked less than optimal for the trails I ride, I tried it mounted both directions and it seemed to slip on numerous roots and rocks.

I'm more than happy with the $695 price I paid for it but I still do not think I would have been happy with it for $895 considering the really crappy stem, handlebar, and non-sealed headset the bike came with. As it was I ended up spending just over $280 to upgrade parts, $75 a piece for the Thomson X4 stem and elite seatpost, $80 for used/like new King headset, $11 for the Titec Hellbent bar on clearance at REI, $20 for Ergon GX1 grips and $22 for a Thomson seatpost collar. The Selle Italia Flite saddle and and time pedals have been used on bikes for over ten years so I'm pretty sure their cost has been amortized.
    Last edited by Ötzi; 10-26-2010 at 06:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Grapenuts I just got my elite today and assembled it. I have about 25teeth on the 42 tooth front gear that seem to be ground down shorter then some others. is that normal?

banned
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjam
    Grapenuts I just got my elite today and assembled it. I have about 25teeth on the 42 tooth front gear that seem to be ground down shorter then some others. is that normal?

That is normal , it is to aid the shifting .

mtbr member
    After returning from the March for Sanity today I decided to finish up my Fantom Elite build. I replaced the 110mm Thomson X4 with a 90mm, installed a 31.8 Thomson seatpost collar and mounted a set of Crank Brothers skewers. I also removed the small chainring and turned the bike into a 2x10. While doing this I moved one of the spacers on the bottom bracket from the drive side to the nondrive. This evened out the Q factor between the two sides slightly. Ill weigh it on the bathroom scale to see what if any changes the upgrades made and take pics on the trail tomorrow.

mtbr member
    On the trail today

2x10 conversion

Updated stem and headset

mtbr member
    That's a nice looking ride, I'm diggin the flat black/gray color. How do you like the fork?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    I have not had any issue with the fork yet. i don't think the lock out is necessary and would really like to have a lighter fork but it has not let me down, yet.

mtbr member
    The bike is now down to 28.8 pounds. I replaced the Titec Hellbent with a flat FSA carbon bar (new $44 shipped Ebay) and replaced the tires with Continental Mountain Kings 2.2 (used $52 shipped Ebay). The tires made a world of difference on the trails I ride. I attempted ghetto Tubeless with the Mountain Kings/WTB rims and gave up after 10 plus minutes. I have converted a couple of Mavic rims in under 15 minutes a wheel with only a floor pump and the WTB rims just didn't look like they were going to go easily. I will probably look at buying a new pair of wheels, something convertible from 9mm to 15mm and with a notubes rim.

I'm also on the lookout for a different fork for the bike since I regularly see used Reba's and F29s go for around the $300 and figure I can drop some weight from the front of the bike while improving the suspension. It may be the difference between 26 forks and 29 forks but when I ride my 26 FOX RLC I don't think about the fork or notice it. When I ride the Tora I can definitely hear and feel the fork working.

So I have now spent somewhere around $1050 total on the bike and I'm getting close to the $1195 price of the Fantom Pro although I do believe I have a better parts pick than the Pro when it comes to bars, post and such. I still think the bike was a great deal at $700 but at its current price of $900 I would spend the extra $300 and upgrade to the Pro for the fork, XT/XTR mix, brakes and usable handlebar/stem. Even at $1200 I would feel the need to upgrade the headset, seatpost collar, seatpost, wheel skewers, grips and more than likely tires due to personal preference.

mtbr member
    So i broke down and bought a RS Reba RLT at $446 shipped. There is a night and day difference between and the Tora TK. Besides losing 1 plus pounds of weight off the front, the Reba is much more confidence inspiring and all around a much better ride.

No matter how much I spend on upgrades or how much more than the price of the Fantom Pro my bike ends up being, I think the Fantom Elite at $695 was an awesome deal. It allowed me to ride a 29er bike for a great price, to see if it was something I would want to pursue.

If i was to buy a 29er today,I would more than likely buy the the Fantom Pro. I know I would spend more than the asking price with upgrades but I think in the long run it would cost me less cash.

Members who have read this thread: 1