2011 Moto Fantom DS Pro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2011

2011 Moto Fantom DS Pro

I just ordered the new 2011 Fantom DS Pro (should arrive on Monday). I was wondering what upgrades folks would make to it? and pretty much what is your opinion of the specs/overall bike.

Things I cam wondering about:
    drivetrain 3x10 (opinions)
    chain (is it any good)
    tires (should I swap out SB8's for Panaracer Fire XC's)

What else should I be concerned/aware aobut?

Quick history: This is my first full suspension bike and I plan to ride more XC in the
    Bay Area and Santa Cruz, I'm not planning on bombing too much.

I plan to update this thread with pics and more details once I get the bike and actually get to ride it.

Thanks...
    Last edited by 510eastbayrider; 01-07-2011 at 10:46 AM.

DynoDon
    I have the Fantom Pro, I would just ride it, and replace comfort items like grips/seat/bars, then replace parts as they wear, tires would be a personal preference, I like my Schwalbe Rocket Rons at 480 grams, the Reba forks are great, to set them up, a good starting point is half of your weight in the top half, half your weight in the bottom half, the rear I started with my weight with gear, if you go light it will bob, I like the rear stiff, it pretty much eliminates the bob, the gates on the forks, and rear shock are something you have to set to you, if you use them. I've got 800 miles on mine now, great bike.
    At the bottom of the BD bikes page is a link to order a spare hanger, a good thing to have, jerseys there too.. Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks Mana... I can't wait for the bike to arrive. This is my first FS bike so playing around with the shocks is something I will have to learn about.

This might sound stupid, but....do i need a shock pump or can I use one of my bike pumps. From my understanding I will need a shock pump but that it doesn't come with the bike?

DynoDon
    the shock pump won't come with the bike, you can get one from the bottom of the BD bikes page for about $30.00, its pretty cool to do the air set up, and everyone sets their bike up different, you can check out some sag vids on youtube, I gave you some good starting points, and thats all sag is, is a starting point, you'll figure out in time what works for you, I found a hill that I could go up and down, trying different settings, gears until I kind of figured out whats best for me, but that can change too.. its a learning curve, and its all what you like, we all ride different, and set them up different, just play with it, google some info, youtube etc, then play somemore, you'll get sooner or later..Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    SB8's are good for dry conditions only. If they still include elixir brakes, new rotors may be in your future to get rid of a common hum from the rear. The vanes on the rotor are too close together and cause some sort of harmonics. Other than those two things, mine is stock and it is a great ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks Snickers. I looked around online to learn more about the Elixir Brakes CR. It sounds like there is a wicked squealing sound (different than the hum you mention) that is common. Some folks have changed the rotors and/or swapped out the brake pads for organic ones and said that solved their problem.

If thats the case...can anyone recommend good replacement rotors and pads? Also, anyone know of a good place to get them online?

Also, anyone have an opinion on Panaracer Fire XC's or Kenda Nevegals.....I'm thinking Fire XC's 'cuz I had 'em on my old bike and they are cheaper ($22 at pricepoint)

I'm not going to buy anything yet ( I still don't have my bike) but wanna get as much info as possible so I can troubleshoot if need be.

Thanks....

DynoDon
    I wore my original brakes out fast, but never had a squeek out of them, I put in Jagwire pads, they seem to be holding up better..I've still got the stock rotors..no problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, apparently some get the noise, some don't. I wouldn't call the noise a squeal. I don't know how to describe it, you will know it if you hear it. It will actually vibrate the frame. Search the forum, you will see what others have posted.

I replaced my Avid rotors with Alligators from Pricepoint. But don't use organic pads with them, they will wear out faster.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks... Hope the brakes are all good but if they develop a problem I'm thinking about keeping the rotors and trying out organic pads first.

Turns out I'm getting the Fantom Team instead of the DS Pro due to a mix up at the factory. So, I think I'll post a new thread.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

how'd the bike work out?

Hey,

Its been a while now... how'd you like the bike and what upgrades did you make if any? I am especially curious because I just picked up that same bike online....

Members who have read this thread: 0