2011 fly ti 29er. should I?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2009

2011 fly ti 29er. should I?

I've got the itch for a 29er bad.

Was going to keep it simple and cheap but this seems like a lot of bike for the money.

Should I look at anything else?

I couldn't build a bike even close.

banned
    Sep 2010
    Great value it is , just make sure that it is going to fit .

mtbr member
    If a hardtail is what you are after - you will be hard pressed to find a better riding and longer lasting frame at any price point, IMO.
    But yeah - make sure that you know how to size it and adjust fit - stems, seatpost setback, etc... you will just get a box in the mail.

Trail Ninja
    If you want a hard tail equipped with high end parts, you can't beat the value unless you look for used bikes.

I pre-ordered the 15.5". I'm 5' 7" and barely have enough standover, not enough seatpost (350mm, upgrading to 400mm), and the reach seems spot on. It came in Tuesday, but had issues with the rear brake and bled it to get it to work. I took it on its maiden voyage today. It climbs better than my Schwinn Homegrown HT and descends pretty well. Once I got comfortable, it started to rip. The 29er wheels + Ti isn't going to make it anything like a FS, but if you like hardtails it's as compliant as it gets for a quick performing bike. Performs like my GF Rig, but has gears and a bit more travel, and is Ti.

Looking forward to taking it on some more gnarly trails and with my riding buddies to see how it does.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Thanks for the input. Sizing issue is a concern buying sight unseen. I'm thinking the 19 is about right but also considering the 17.

6' with a 33.8" inseam (leggy). 26" arm reach. Torso about 24.75.

I do want a ht. I miss my old ht 26 much of the time, though I'm sure the memories are better than reality. 29er ht seems like a great combo.

So far Craigslist in my area has been crap or way overpriced. Aside from the kickass boutique hammerhead, the lbs I've been to have been a disappointment. And I think 3-4k minimum at hh is when their value makes sense. Next bike maybe.

It's carbon dontcha know.
    6' you're almost certainly the 19".

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I ride a 19" Fly Ti and am 6'1". If you quote your pant inseam you should be OK but not a lot of room to spare. I believe you would be too cramped in reach with the 17.
    I love this bike and believe you will too. A great value as mentioned. Most compliant hardtail I have ridden.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I ride the 19" Fly Ti and am 6'2". I need a 0 setback seatpost to get the fit perfect.

S*it Happens!
    Why is this a question?

The Ti 29er in known for keeping mushrooms safe, for sure it’s good enough for you. Ha,ha. All kidding aside, if you want it go for it. It's an awesome deal.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Got mine 4 months ago, converted it to SS, raced it 12hr SS three races already. Final series is two weeks away. You'll love this bike. No regret.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleGAbiker
    Got mine 4 months ago, converted it to SS, raced it 12hr SS three races already. Final series is two weeks away. You'll love this bike. No regret.
    SS by magic gear or a tensioner?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    Magic gear 32/19. I hated tensioner. Of course my gear is limited to 32/19, that's why i just built up a stumpjumper 29er SS because i wanted SS specific gearing.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'm 6' with 33" inseam as well and ride the 19" just fine=) 17" would be too small...

mtbr member
    DFYFZZX:

How much stand over clearance do you have? What tires are you running?

I have been riding a Fantom Pro 29SL for the last year, and it's time to upgrade. I am either going with the Ti Fly or Niner.

Thanks,
    Keith
    Last edited by h2o-x; 10-01-2010 at 08:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x
    DFYFZZX:

How much stand over clearance do you have? What tires are you running?

I have been riding a Fantom Pro SL 29r for the last year, and it's time to upgrade. I am either going with the Ti Fly or Niner.

Thanks,
    Keith
    There is a good thread in the 29er forum comparing the two bikes. The Niner MAY have more standover because it has a hydroformed Al top tube. The niner is reported to be a whale of bike...BUT...make no mistake, it won't have the ride quality of the Ti Fly. For me, smoothness of the ride off road is a MAIN ingredient of why I prefer the Ti Fly to any Al hardtail I have ridden. The Fly has amazing damping qualities.
    The Fly relative to its size does not have a lot of standover. I for example prefer a long top tube...about a 25" or so. The Large Ti Fly is short of that. I didn't want to go XL because now the standover would be very tight. My stuff rests on the top tube of a Large Fly and I am long legged with 34" pant/35.25" cycling inseam. This is pretty easy to understand because the Fly has a straight top tube and many 29ers are curved concave up for this reason...front of the bike is higher on a 29er versus 26er of course...Fly has a typical 100mm head tube...or so until you get to the XL. So a longer top tube and sloped top tube would be preferred in my case....so I run the size Large with a long stem.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by dirtrider7; 10-01-2010 at 01:05 PM.

mtbr member
    FWIW - my 26r Fly Ti did benefit noticably from switching to a rear hub with 10mm bolt on axle. I am on the heavy side - and it does seem to track better, while still being smooth. I am not a big fan of stiffness - it just have to be in the right places. Axles is one such place. That said - Fly's shaped tubeset is better then many namebrand ti frames I have ridden.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    Hi any chance of posting a pic of the bike as a single speed and weight? If you wanted the ability to run other gears without a tensioner you could use a ebb from trick stuff, they work great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by snellvilleGAbiker
    Sorry, I will try again

Hi any chance of posting a pic of the bike as a single speed and weight? If you wanted the ability to run other gears without a tensioner you could use an ebb from trick stuff, they are pricey but work great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lost kiwi
    Sorry, I will try again

Hi any chance of posting a pic of the bike as a single speed and weight? If you wanted the ability to run other gears without a tensioner you could use an ebb from trick stuff, they are pricey but work great.
    Here is the MotoB SS 29er w/ 32:19 magic gear...Weight in at 20.7lbs

Here is my new SS specific Spesh Stumpy SS 29er 2011 w/ 32:19 gearing...Weight 20.3

Members who have read this thread: 0