2010 29er Fantom Pro seems like too good of a deal, so I bought one.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

2010 29er Fantom Pro seems like too good of a deal, so I bought one.

Looks like the 2010 comes with a Tora 318 which is a solo air. The 2011 comes with a Reba, but costs $400 more. Even the 2011 Fantom Elite costs $100 more and only comes with a Tora TK which uses a coil. Seems like the 'ol 2010 is a heck of a value, so thats what I went with. The slate color looks awesome, I cant wait to ride it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 29er Fantom Pro seems like too good of a deal, so I bought one.-imag0161.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    An update after my first ride:
    First, this bike was a breeze to assemble. Basically just had to slide all the controls on the handle bars and bolt it onto the bike. I went over everything but it was all tight. Brakes and shifters work great, no adjustments needed. The bike only took 4 days to get here and that was with a blizzard hitting during shipping. I got to take it for its first ride today and I couldn't be happier. I'm coming from a dept. store bike so this one is obviously better in every way. Everything feels top notch and I love the fork. The LBS wanted to sell me a Gary Fischer Cobia for $300 more and it didn't have all the features this Fantom came with. (I love the remote shock lock) If anyone has any reservations about ordering a bike online, I know I did, I can say that its been a great experience. I'm very happy with everything
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 29er Fantom Pro seems like too good of a deal, so I bought one.-imag0164.jpg  

DynoDon
    Congradulations, I'd get rid of the reflectors if you don't ride it on the road and the dork disk will fall off on its own eventually (the disc behind the cassette), your bike looks good, it needs more mud on it. Happy Trails

Green Wrencher
    How is this holding up now?

I am looking hard at a 2011 GF Marlin and this sale specs blow it out of the water. Just not sure how it would feel without being able to test ride.

DynoDon
    There are some Spectrum Cycle in Jacksonville, Fla if your in S.C. thats shouldn't be too far, call and see if they have one to test, Happy Trails

http://cyclespectrum.com/storelocator/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Its been great. Zero complaints from me, very glad I got it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Got out in the mud today Loving this bike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2010 29er Fantom Pro seems like too good of a deal, so I bought one.-muddybike.jpg  

Low Rep Count
    Mud is great but the kickstand and reflectors kills me. No offense, to each his own. I bet you had fun though!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SPD
    Mud is great but the kickstand and reflectors kills me. No offense, to each his own. I bet you had fun though!
    Yeah, I don't get all the hate for kickstands, but it has been removed along with the reflectors

It looks like they dropped the price another $100. I think this is one of the best deals out there. I'm not sure what out there is going to be better for <$700

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_08.htm

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sltOT
    Yeah, I don't get all the hate for kickstands, but it has been removed along with the reflectors

[/URL]
    What don't you get? They are:

1. Heavy
    2. Ugly
    3. Can catch on roots, rocks, branches and can possibly cause a wreck.
    4. Have very little use on mountain bikes.

I am not sure whats to like. In 26 years of riding I have never had one and have never needed one. But if you like it, then no need to remove it.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    1. I think its funny how nuts bicyclists are over weight. That kickstand weighed maybe a 1/4 pound.
    2. I'm not going to say its sexy, but I'm not huge into how good my bike looks either. There are much better "looking" bikes on the market than the motobecane.
    3. I have never come close to catching it something
    4. It is very useful for standing your bike up. Like in the parking lot when I'm gearing up, I don't have to lean it on the car, or on the trail I don't have to throw it on the ground.

I dono. There sure is a lot of hate for kickstands, though.

DynoDon
    Does it chip the paint, or if it did get caught on a rock could it actually damage the frame, the frame is aluminum, what if someone sat on the bike on the kickstand, its not as strong as a steel frame wally bike in that area.. with my luck if something can go wrong it will, so I'll lean mine on a tree, in Michigan there is no shortage of trees,, good luck..

Wizard of the Trail
    Kickstands may end up impaling your foot or other body part in a crash. That one is pretty far back, but it's still something my mountain bikes lack. I don't need anything out there hanging to catch roots or rocks and damage my frame. Really no point with all the trees around. No hate, just no need for one.
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wondering how the Fantom Pro is working out? Also, just wondering what size it is, and your height, and how it fits ya.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm 5'10" and went with a 17" and it fits great. I'm 210lbs and I beat on it and so far its held up great. I've come to really appreciate the air-shock and the tune-ability that it gives you. Its so smooth flying down rocky hills. I had it overinflated at first but slowly dropped the pressure down a a bit and its butter now

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Congrats, that's one good rig you have..

ride hard, ride safe...

mtbr member
    Congrats. Looks good. Hope you enjoy it.

Members who have read this thread: 0