• 03-23-2009
    cabworks
    2009 Motobecane Outcast 29
    anybody who has build this one? post some pics please..tnx..

p.s. how does it ride...tnx again.
  • 03-30-2009
    baja1974
    Here is mine..:thumbsup:

• 03-31-2009
    lslance
    Baja,

List your upgrades and their cost please. I too am interested in getting one of these Outcast. Also how does it ride? And what was the weight stock & after the mods.

Thanks!
  • 04-07-2009
    dontheclysdale
    Here's the one we built up for my brother. I'm not sure if it's an 09 but we bought it new from Bikes Direct in Feb. It's not a squishy fork but it's super bulletproof. My brother is 270lbs. I think the bike weighs right at 27lbs.
    - Titec El Norte Seat post
    - Race Face DH bars
    - Race Face DH Stem
    - Sram 890 Chain
    - Avid SD7 Brakes and Levers w/ Koolstop Pads
    - Kris Holm Wheels (forgot what hubs) we bought these used

My brother loves this bike. I've ridden it a couple of times and it's pretty solid. He's gone off of many 3' drops with no problems. I was worried about the aluminum fork (and the frame) but it has not been a problem at all. Since we built it up in Feb, I think he's got about 150-200 miles on it. All in all a good cheap build. I think we have right at $800 or so in it.

• 04-08-2009
    lslance
    I've heard this frame has non-suspension geometry, but looking at Baja's bike that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've been thinking about buying the Outcast frame from bikeisland, and building it up with some spare parts I have. Still I will be shelling out more money than buying the complete bike from bikesdirect. I just want a cheap way to break into the 29 SS world.
  • 04-08-2009
    baja1974
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lslance
    Baja,

List your upgrades and their cost please. I too am interested in getting one of these Outcast. Also how does it ride? And what was the weight stock & after the mods.

Thanks!

Islance,,,I tested the bike and works excellent...I'm happy with the REBA and the frame Geometry....

My frame is 17"..I'm 5'10"

I'm happy with V-brakes (rear) and Disc brakes Front..The reason is that i can switch the rear tire and select a different ratio. I have on the bike 18T and 20T freewheels...If the trail is hard i just switch the wheels to 20T and adjust the brakes...I have 2 options installed..My friend with fancy single speed bikes (Disc) get jealous because thay can't have 2 freewheel options like me..

Upgrades:
    Handlebar Easton EA70 --- $ 49.99
    Stem --Easton EA30 -- $ 21.00
    Fork --- Rock Shox REBA SL -- $ 350.00
    Front Wheel Bonstranger --- Free
    Front Brakes -- Avid BB7 -- $ 55.00
    Saddle Selle San Marco Blaze K ---- $ 49.99
    Seatpost Ritchey WCS Carbon --- $ 49.99
    Weight -- 26 Pounds

I don't remember the original weight...

I'm going to remove the Kenda Nevegal because are too heavy...I'm looking to replace the tires with the Schwalbe Racing Ralph or Kenda Small Block 8 and save 1.5 or 2 Pounds.

Baja
  • 04-14-2009
    Pitch
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lslance
    I've heard this frame has non-suspension geometry, but looking at Baja's bike that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've been thinking about buying the Outcast frame from bikeisland, and building it up with some spare parts I have. Still I will be shelling out more money than buying the complete bike from bikesdirect. I just want a cheap way to break into the 29 SS world.

I recently put a Reba SL on my 07(?) Outcast frame and it handles beautifully. Definitely start with the frame and build from there, or expect to replace everything from the "complete" bike over time.
  • 04-15-2009
    baja1974
    Yes,,,Like me....:thumbsup: ....I have stock the frame,rear wheel and tire,crankset and rear brake...

I just shave 1 pound to the bike installing a 29x2.25 Schwalbe Racing Ralph tire...I can't believe..The nevegals weights 940 grams and the new Racing Ralph weights 520 grams...

Baja
  • 04-27-2009
    Jammy
    Has anyone tried fitting 2.4 Racing Ralphs in the frame? I'm curious if there's clearance between the seat stays.