$200 Price jump on the Fantom 29 Elite- Mtbr.com
    Got a suspension fork

$200 Price jump on the Fantom 29 Elite

The Elite was a serious contender for me as a 29er hardtail right up to this morning when they jumped the price up from $699 to $895.

doh.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yikes!! You are right!! I wsa just looking at it last night and thinking of grabbing on. man, this is just bad timing

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    ditto. almost talked myself into buying last night. now i think im going to go with a diamondback i found on ebay

:-/

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've written to them. do they do this normally --? special promos followed by steep price increase? this looks like bait-and-switch to me. i'm a bit irritated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by srileo
    I've written to them. do they do this normally --? special promos followed by steep price increase? this looks like bait-and-switch to me. i'm a bit irritated.
    Haha, I think a lot of people did. I was trying to get in touch with them about this (and something else) and my mail bounced:

<[email protected]>: host core-mab003c.r1000.mail.aol.com[172.29.29.12]
    said: 554 5.2.2 MAILBOX FULL (in reply to end of DATA command)

I wanted to order one a few days ago but couldn't, and this delay apparently canceled out my purchase due to the price increase!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I wonder what happened. FWIW, Mike posted the expected prices in the 29er forum a month ago as follows:
    These will be prices like $499, $599, $899, $1199, and $1299.
    levels will be called Fantom 29 Trail, Comp, Elte, Pro, and Pro SL
    Trail & Comp will be 27-speed
    Elite & Pro will be 30-speed
    Pro SL will be 20-speed

Personally I've been waiting on the 29 Pro but hoping it will end up costing a little less than he quoted above. The $300 gap between the Elite & Pro seems a bit much, although it's hard to say without knowing what's included.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i wonder if the original pricing of the Elite was a mistake on BD's part that they hastily just rectified this morning? I bought a fantom comp for $499 for my GF just a couple days ago. Was hoping for an elite for myself. aarrggh.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Oh wait! Even their Fantom29Comp has gone up!! I bought this for my GF 2 days ago for $499. This is now $699?! I dont think its worth it at the new price. the 26" version spec is a lot better value for the money.

what's happening here? bait and switch or early-bird promo?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I have noticed that they do early bird promos. Also seems that each year the bikes have increased in price also.

mtbr member

Wink

Oh wait! Even their Fantom29Comp has gone up!! I bought this for my GF 2 days ago for $499. This is now $699?! I dont think its worth it at the new price. the 26" version spec is a lot better value for the money.

Has Bikesdirect contacted you to tell you they wouldn't send your GF's bike until they recieved an additional $200? If not, it isn't a bait and switch.

I'm glad I got my 29er elite for $699, I highly doubt I would have bought it for $899. If it comes to my house with a cod for the extra $200, then I'l come on here and claim bait and switch Until then I'll consider my self lucky I bought it when I did.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You are right, it isnot a classic bait and switch. Still, its pretty odd that they would do this without saying "limited time offer" or some such on their marketing material.
    the 29erElite for $899 makes no sense to me.

good for you on the elite purchase. on second thoughts, i shouldnt have been sitting around waiting to make up my mind. hopefully they bring it back again.

Quote Originally Posted by GrapeNutsRobot
    Has Bikesdirect contacted you to tell you they wouldn't send your GF's bike until they recieved an additional $200? If not, it isn't a bait and switch.

I'm glad I got my 29er elite for $699, I highly doubt I would have bought it for $899. If it comes to my house with a cod for the extra $200, then I'l come on here and claim bait and switch Until then I'll consider my self lucky I bought it when I did.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I was waiting on a reply for the correct size on the Elite. Now that the price increased, I'll just keep looking on thier website and LBS. Anyone recommend a decent 29'er in the $600.00 price range?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There was a diamondback on Performance Cycle site that was around $700 with RS Tora shocks. i think it was a 26er though...

mtbr member
    Anyone recommend a decent 29'er in the $600.00 price range?
    I have seen this GT Peace for similar prices at several bike shops. It has a rigid fork, but it's a good bike for the $$.

http://cgi.ebay.com/GT-Peace-9r-Mult...item255e4c8461

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    saw this post and my jaw dropped. i was looking at the bike but waiting to see what else came in since they said they will be getting new inventory through November. Well i went to my cart and low and behold I had one in it from the last time i checked to see if they had my size. It was $699. I checked out. Hope they honor the price.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjam
    saw this post and my jaw dropped. i was looking at the bike but waiting to see what else came in since they said they will be getting new inventory through November. Well i went to my cart and low and behold I had one in it from the last time i checked to see if they had my size. It was $699. I checked out. Hope they honor the price.
    They should honor that price. Good for you.

The price increase is steep, but at least this was posted in advance. I'm thankful that I picked up my PRO SL and my wife's 700HT a few months ago. Still great values when you add up the components.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by El Dirte
    They should honor that price. Good for you.

The price increase is steep, but at least this was posted in advance. I'm thankful that I picked up my PRO SL and my wife's 700HT a few months ago. Still great values when you add up the components.
    This is my first bike. The Elite is a good deal for $699 i am guessing?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjam
    This is my first bike. The Elite is a good deal for $699 i am guessing?
    It was a fabulous deal. Vs. the pro, it has a better brakeset and 10 speed drive train. The other main difference was the fork which I put at a very slight downgrade vs the 318 air (not sure though). I was kicking myself (I just bought a pro a couple of weeks ago) -- I would have absolutely gone with the elite.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Got a reply from the BD about the price hike

"Hello,

It was a typo, the Elite is $895 and the Comp is $699, sorry about the confusion.

Thanks,
    Chris"

So, that means BD will not honor the old price. I guess it was a costly mistake for them. Am thankful i got my comp for $499, and i guess i might as well forget the Pro pricing now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    "Hello,

It was a typo, the Elite is $895 and the Comp is $699, sorry about the confusion.

Thanks,
    Chris"

So, that means BD will not honor the old price. I guess it was a costly mistake for them. Am thankful i got my comp for $499, and i guess i might as well forget the Pro pricing now.
    Yes, there pricing now reflects the component set (and the names -- why was the elite cheaper than the pro?) pretty well. They are just filling in holes in the 29er lineup. These days, that's what everyone is buying (including me! heh).

If anybody actually nailed one for 700$, consider the bike stolen!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    What i am worried about is how much the new 2011 Pro will jump up to. The 2010 model (sold out) is $795 -less than the new Elite price. And it had the Tora solo air shock i like. I guess the pro will jump up to $995 or higher. - equally out of my reach.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    What i am worried about is how much the new 2011 Pro will jump up to. The 2010 model (sold out) is $795 -less than the new Elite price. And it had the Tora solo air shock i like. I guess the pro will jump up to $995 or higher. - equally out of my reach.

So the $795 2010 Pro is sold out? I have a buddy looking at the 17inch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The 17" is available. i just checked

Quote Originally Posted by trm00
    So the $795 2010 Pro is sold out? I have a buddy looking at the 17inch.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The 17" is available. i just checked

Thanks. I saw that on their site but I wasn't sure if maybe you knew something that the site didn't reflect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i just ordered the elite (tracking info alreay!). i'll post pics once i get it and have it setup.

very excitied

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    you got tracking info that quick? I ordered mine yesterday and got nothing but a paypal invoice. And if you dont mind me asking what did it cost?

S*it Happens!
    With all the price hikes it would seem like the Fantom29er’s that are still left are some the best deals around…The 2010 Fantom 29er in red looks like an awesome deal for $595

However, not as good as the Elite turned out to be for some….
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Sure, i'd snap one up, but everything is sold out. I just hope the Fantom29er Pro doesnt go up in price. i really like the spec of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    With all the price hikes it would seem like the Fantom29er’s that are still left are some the best deals around…The 2010 Fantom 29er in red looks like an awesome deal for $595

However, not as good as the Elite turned out to be for some….

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    i got it for 700...luckily i had put it in the shopping cart on Monday and it was still in there when i went to buy i different bike on Wednesday. Now i feel like i have an extra 200 bucks to spend on upgrades! anybody have any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkel81
    i got it for 700...luckily i had put it in the shopping cart on Monday and it was still in there when i went to buy i different bike on Wednesday. Now i feel like i have an extra 200 bucks to spend on upgrades! anybody have any suggestions?
    Same happened to me. When I saw the price changed I checked my cart and it was still there with the old price.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They added more.

The Trail 29 $599
    Comp 29 $699
    Elite 29 $895
    Pro 29 $1195

Fly XO 29 Ti $2099
    Fly XO 29 Ti 2x9 $2099

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I put a friend from work on to the Comp......glad he was able to get for $500. Had it been $700 he would not have become part of the Moto family.

Those were great early bird special...I wonder if it was intentional?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just saw the new arrivals. $200 increase across the board on the 29ers for the same spec. I am not at all happy with this.
    Is this hike just for the 29ers or is it also going to happen on the 26ers? If its also for the 26ers, i might start looking at the LBS option. Reluctantly.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    2011 29er prices are actually coming down - overall

In the case of the Elite version [which is new 30 speed] it was posted at $695 by mistake. And a few were sold at that price [below cost] before we noticed it. Of course, on those we stood by the price; even though lossing money on each copy.

What is strange to me is that our on-line competitors often change prices and terms daily. Which I have never understood. I have seen one site change the same SS/FG from $299 delivered to and from $349, $399, $449, $499 back and forth every week - amazes me.
    Buy on Tuesday it is $349, logon Wednesday its $299, look again Thursday and its $399. However, selling prices do change; in shops and online

But when we correct a mistake on one bike; it seems to create a fire-strome

Any way; during 2011 we are adding lots of 29ers in multi speed from $399 up
    I would basicly say between Moto, Windsor, and Gravity; we will be doubling our 29er selection AND prices when comparing apples to apples are staying the same or going down. But I admit, conversion from 27-speed to 30-speed creates a price increase that may confuse some. 10-speed systems for MTB are new and a bit more pricy than 9-speed; but so far, customers love them.

2011 will be a great year for 29ers

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Mike makes an excellent point. I follow the online stores very closely as I am shopping for a new ride. I know exactly the site he refers to. They (BD) made a mistake and corrected it. Still a good buy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mike,
    thanks for coming through with an explanation of the price increase and also with a projection of what's to come. I did not know about the 9speed vs 10speed choices etc. I am eagerly looking forward to purchasing again from you.
    It was also nice of you to honor the Elite pricing.
    I am not sure if the FantomComp is worth the new price of $695, but i won't complain because i got it at the older price ;-)

All in all, looking forward to seeing the new line up in the Windsor and Gravity lines.

Quote Originally Posted by bikesdirect

In the case of the Elite version [which is new 30 speed] it was posted at $695 by mistake. And a few were sold at that price [below cost] before we noticed it. Of course, on those we stood by the price; even though lossing money on each copy.

What is strange to me is that our on-line competitors often change prices and terms daily. Which I have never understood. I have seen one site change the same SS/FG from $299 delivered to and from $349, $399, $449, $499 back and forth every week - amazes me.
    Buy on Tuesday it is $349, logon Wednesday its $299, look again Thursday and its $399. However, selling prices do change; in shops and online

I would basicly say between Moto, Windsor, and Gravity; we will be doubling our 29er selection AND prices when comparing apples to apples are staying the same or going down. But I admit, conversion from 27-speed to 30-speed creates a price increase that may confuse some. 10-speed systems for MTB are new and a bit more pricy than 9-speed; but so far, customers love them.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Mike,
    thanks for coming through with an explanation of the price increase and also with a projection of what's to come. I did not know about the 9speed vs 10speed choices etc. I am eagerly looking forward to purchasing again from you.
    It was also nice of you to honor the Elite pricing.
    I am not sure if the FantomComp is worth the new price of $695, but i won't complain because i got it at the older price ;-)

All in all, looking forward to seeing the new line up in the Windsor and Gravity lines.
    prices are going up everywhere across the board, and fast. my 2010 trek I bought last year had msrp $1,589.99 2011 model with basically same component set is 1799$ msrp, and is still running the 27spd drive train.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Mike I'm on of the guys who got lucky on the Elite. Thanks for honoring the price, and I guarantee we will do business again.

Got a suspension fork

Hi Mike,

You know I'm a fan of my Moto Ti LeChamp Heat and a fan of your company. Nobody was bashing or saying you guys can't make a profit. It was just a shock to the system for many of us to be making choices and while evaluating the options, BAM! $200 price uplift, not only on the Elite, but several of the new 10 speed 29ers. Hardly a firestorm, just a wrench in the works for us considering the new MotoBecane 29ers.

While I have your attention, I wrote the guys at BD but Chris repsonded without any details about upcoming Steel Motobecane's. Can you offer any insight? What I am curious about is:

- Geometry, same as any existing models? Maybe the Fantom geometry? Ti Flight 29? Other?
    - Any guess at ETA for the bike?
    - mid level, high level components?

Thanks.

ride for fun
    glad i got a 2010 phantom pro sl for 995! dont need that 30 speed junk in florida!
    Quote Originally Posted by HamfisT
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by nick d
    glad i got a 2010 phantom pro sl for 995! dont need that 30 speed junk in florida!

I am actually extremely interested in a 10 speed setup, because I want to go with a 1x10, and imho a 1x10 has a far better range with a 36 tooth granny than does a 1x9 setup.

ride for fun
    Quote Originally Posted by randyharris
    I am actually extremely interested in a 10 speed setup, because I want to go with a 1x10, and imho a 1x10 has a far better range with a 36 tooth granny than does a 1x9 setup.
    yes 1x10 that would be a nice setup! my last hardtail was a ss so all these gears just seem like overkill to me...

and now to hijack the thread; how do you like the 08 kona hei hei 2-9? i have one and love it!!! perfect compliment to my moto
    I understand that engineering has value in and of itself. But in the end, it's still just a pile of aluminum tubes.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by nick d
    yes 1x10 that would be a nice setup! my last hardtail was a ss so all these gears just seem like overkill to me...

and now to hijack the thread; how do you like the 08 kona hei hei 2-9? i have one and love it!!! perfect compliment to my moto
    Absolutely loved the Hei Hei for just over a year, but admittedly since getting the Unit I am now falling out of favor with the Hei Hei 2-9. I love the rigid steel ss ride so much that I am thinking of replacing the Hei Hei with something like a Bandersnatch in 1x10 trim, a nice steel hard tail with suspension fork.

The upcoming Motobecane steel 29er will be of particular interest.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Hi Mike,

You know I'm a fan of my Moto Ti LeChamp Heat and a fan of your company. Nobody was bashing or saying you guys can't make a profit. It was just a shock to the system for many of us to be making choices and while evaluating the options, BAM! $200 price uplift, not only on the Elite, but several of the new 10 speed 29ers. Hardly a firestorm, just a wrench in the works for us considering the new MotoBecane 29ers.

While I have your attention, I wrote the guys at BD but Chris repsonded without any details about upcoming Steel Motobecane's. Can you offer any insight? What I am curious about is:

- Geometry, same as any existing models? Maybe the Fantom geometry? Ti Flight 29? Other?
    - Any guess at ETA for the bike?
    - mid level, high level components?

Thanks.

Thanks for your support

The 2011 9IRON will be Reynolds with very nice 30-speed components: will be about $895 with and have SS option -- using special rear dropouts

But it will not be in until June

I think it will be a good seller

However, I am working on adding a lower level Ti 29er - which will also be a good alternative to Aluminum [for those that like Steel & Ti]

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Looks like the Pro jumped up $400.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by walangkatapat
    This model year's 29Pro SL was $895 until recently, now it is $995, and next years 30 speed model is $1195, so depending on how you look at that it seems to be $200 higher from recent prices, and $300 higher from a week or two ago.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    nah, this is spec'd more like the pro sl with the reba. The elite is more like the old pro, but with a arguably inferior shock. I think the elite is the best deal on the new lineup. The old pro and pro sl were just fabulous deals (29er tora air ALONE retails for 300$). I think it's pretty fair to say prices are up around 150$ if you discount 50$ for the 30sp drive train. This is consistent from what I've seen from other manufacturers.

Not to get political or anything, but I think we are seeing early signs that 100% asian sourced consumer goods are about to get a lot more expensive.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinm
    nah, this is spec'd more like the pro sl with the reba. The elite is more like the old pro, but with a arguably inferior shock. I think the elite is the best deal on the new lineup. The old pro and pro sl were just fabulous deals (29er tora air ALONE retails for 300$). I think it's pretty fair to say prices are up around 150$ if you discount 50$ for the 30sp drive train. This is consistent from what I've seen from other manufacturers.

Not to get political or anything, but I think we are seeing early signs that 100% asian sourced consumer goods are about to get a lot more expensive.
    I see that Airborne has new 2011 hardtail 29ers coming out, it will be interesting to compare them. In my opinion, even at new higher prices, the Motobecane's still appear to be a better deal than the Sette Razzo from PricePoint.com.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yea. that's a shame really. On one level, i dont care whether something is an Elite, Comp, Pro or ProSL; i just want a fantom with higher end Tora shocks and a decent XT 9 speed drivetrain for about $700. Last year's models met this requirement so easily (windsorCliff, Pro etc) that i am just wishing there were a few left over in my size to grab. Between being sold out on the desirable ones and the sticker shock on the new ones, i am just a bit frustrated.

But it looks like the old 700HT is now restocked and selling at the same spec for the same price, so i have hope that BD didnt mess with a winning formula. Patience....

Quote Originally Posted by walangkatapat

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    To be fair, it's not really comparing apples-to-apples to say that the Pro jumped $400. The line has been reshuffled, and a closer comparison would be:

Generic bar/stem/post:
    2010 Pro $795 -> 2011 Elite $895 ($100 more and move to 30 speed for 2011)

Ritchey bar/stem/post, some upgraded components:
    2010 Pro SL $995 -> 2011 Pro $1195 ($200 more and move to 30 speed for 2011)

It's not clear to me why the new Pro is $200 more than the Pro SL while the Elite is only $100 more than the old Pro. The changes between the models seem similar. Possibly there are other upgrades from the old ProSL to the new Pro that I'm missing. I was disappointed to see the price jump though.

Two things I would love to see BikesDirect do:
    1. Provide a combined table showing the differences within each model line.
    2. Provide an online bike-fit calculator which has built-in information about the models BikesDirect sells and which can recommend an appropriate size for a given model given some info from the buyer (given appropriate caveats that ultimately it's up the buyer to choose the right size).

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I see that Airborne has new 2011 hardtail 29ers coming out, it will be interesting to compare them. In my opinion, even at new higher prices, the Motobecane's still appear to be a better deal than the Sette Razzo from PricePoint.com.
    If you look carefully, you will see that the razzo is low/no stock and if history is any guide will not be replenished at the current price.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRaf
    It's not clear to me why the new Pro is $200 more than the Pro SL while the Elite is only $100 more than the old Pro. The changes between the models seem similar. Possibly there are other upgrades from the old ProSL to the new Pro that I'm missing. I was disappointed to see the price jump though.
    You forgot to adjust for the shock. In cases where both coil and air shocks are offered, the coil shock tends to run 100$ less. No way to know for sure because RS likes to reinvent their entire product lineup every single year...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    One thing is for sure, BD needs a better marketing/web designer. Their website is simply too confusing to use.

AZ
    banned
    If you look carefully, you will see that the razzo is low/no stock and if history is any guide will not be replenished at the current price.

Razzo is likely gone when it sells through , Price Point has been rolling out new models at significantly higher prices .

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    On the Sette site they state that there will be two Razzo's coming out this winter. New paint for the current Razzo and another that is more of a race design.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    Razzo is likely gone when it sells through , Price Point has been rolling out new models at significantly higher prices .

Must be the expense of those two page ads I keep seeing in the MTB rags.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    One thing is for sure, BD needs a better marketing/web designer. Their website is simply too confusing to use.
    I heartily disagree... presumably part of the reason why BD is able to offer their bikes so cheap is because they don't have the high marketing/web design overhead (among other things).

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

The comp

I got the comp a couple weeks ago when it was 499, its a great ride, I've road it hard and have yet to have a problem with it. So glad to have chosen a 29er, the comp seems to be plenty of bike for me right now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Richwon4
    I got the comp a couple weeks ago when it was 499, its a great ride, I've road it hard and have yet to have a problem with it. So glad to have chosen a 29er, the comp seems to be plenty of bike for me right now.
    how does the suntour fork feel? reviews on these things are all over the map, from 'junk', to pretty decent, etc. Do you happen to know if it's spring or elastomer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    And i couldnt disagree more with you either. You definitely don't need a highzoot marketing dept to create a simple webpage that shows the bikes you sell based on very simple categories such as style, level, purpose etc. BD's page right now is a horrible, haphazard arrangement based on drivetrain, components, wheelsize etc.
    A well thought out webpage will help BD get over the initial reaction that even i had of "yikes, this looks like a badly scanned print catalog - they cant be making good bikes if their website looks like this"
    But what do i know? i am a designer by profession.

Quote Originally Posted by SynVisions
    I heartily disagree... presumably part of the reason why BD is able to offer their bikes so cheap is because they don't have the high marketing/web design overhead (among other things).

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    From looking at the newly restocked 700HT - being sold at the old price and spec, i have a feeling that the old 29er Pro, Elite, Comp specs and price will be transferred over to the Windsor and Gravity lines.
    At least that's what i hope.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor

That is interesting

I have looked at dozens of alternative sites for design ideas

and I alway prefer ours

it seems so straight forward

of course, our biggest issue is getting enough bikes to meet the demand
    so Web design is not our top issue; OTHER THAN I insist on good pictures
    and accruate specs

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    This model year's 29Pro SL was $895 until recently, now it is $995, and next years 30 speed model is $1195, so depending on how you look at that it seems to be $200 higher from recent prices, and $300 higher from a week or two ago.
    I bought my Windsor Cliff Team last summer at $979 and I'm pretty sure the Pro SL was $995 back then. I realize the upgrades on the 2011 Pro, but I assumed that the SL was the top model so will it also increase by $400?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I am cool with the site layout. A little primitive, but very functional.

so Web design is not our top issue;

BUT since you are waiting on bikes to arrive you should have plenty of spare time for Web design.................

or you could just use that spare time to ride.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor

no bike we sell jumps in price that much; unless there is a spec change
    [excluding the one mistake posting that we was done - of course, humans make mistakes]

however, the new 10-speed drive trains are more expensive than the older 9-speed type
    same happend in road; when the change from 9-spd to 10-spd occured; prices went up a bit

7 to 8 to 9 is not as radial; as many parts are interchangable

but with 10-speed; it is a lot more than just a shifter and cassette; that must happen for the system to work correctly

i am trying hard to keep 30-speed mountain bikes under $1000
    and we have done that and several models so far
    and by next spring we will have several more 30-spd MTBs under $1000 or even under $800 and maybe under $700

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That is interesting

and I alway prefer ours

and accruate specs
    bikesdirect, I am in software business and I greatly prefer your site layout vs much of your competition. The reason is simple: you have tons of information jammed into the page and it's very easy to make comparisons. Use of color is very good (green for full susp) and informative. IMO, many fancy technologies like flash, heavy javascript, etc. suck. keep it simple.

If you will permit a couple of suggestions:
    *) need some way to indicate limited size/low stock items from the front page (like current pro 29sl)
    *) could use some more women's mtb, or at least women oriented sizing tips on your current lineup
    *) could use more links to OEM product manuals

AZ
    banned
    and I alway prefer ours

I humbly suggest that it's not about whether you like the site but , how do your customers like the site . You might want to listen to constructive criticism a bit more open mindfully . FWIW , I agree with the previous poster , the site could use a revamp .

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mike
    trust me when i say there are better ways to show off the bicycles in ways that make sense to newbies (like me) and hardcore MTBers. While keeping things really simple, straightforward and scalable. Your site does a great job with photos and spec sheets and is basically very flat and straightforward. It is just the organizational hierarchy that is confusing.
    I'll send you a basic sketch of what i think your website should be doing.

That is interesting

and I alway prefer ours

and accruate specs

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Mike
    what are your plans for the existing (sold out) line up of bikes? I do not care if the bike is a 10speed or 9 or 8 speed. The price point and spec you had of the 2010 line up was just unbeatable. If you could somehow transfer the old spec and old price to the Windsor or other line, a bunch of us would be really thrilled.

no bike we sell jumps in price that much; unless there is a spec change
    [excluding the one mistake posting that we was done - of course, humans make mistakes]

however, the new 10-speed drive trains are more expensive than the older 9-speed type
    same happend in road; when the change from 9-spd to 10-spd occured; prices went up a bit

7 to 8 to 9 is not as radial; as many parts are interchangable

but with 10-speed; it is a lot more than just a shifter and cassette; that must happen for the system to work correctly

and by next spring we will have several more 30-spd MTBs under $1000 or even under $800 and maybe under $700

Homey the Clown
    Jan 2004
    Hi Mike.

In reference to a steel 29er, is there any chance that you'll spec one with similar parts to the Fantom Pro? I prefer that model by a large margin over the Elite, which sounds more in line with the steel bike you described.

Thanks.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    bikesdirect, I am in software business and I greatly prefer your site layout vs much of your competition. The reason is simple: you have tons of information jammed into the page and it's very easy to make comparisons. Use of color is very good (green for full susp) and informative. IMO, many fancy technologies like flash, heavy javascript, etc. suck. keep it simple.

If you will permit a couple of suggestions:
    *) need some way to indicate limited size/low stock items from the front page (like current pro 29sl)
    *) could use some more women's mtb, or at least women oriented sizing tips on your current lineup
    *) could use more links to OEM product manuals

I like these ideas:

we are trying to solve the out of stock issue; and so far the best way still runs a few days behind the actual stock out

I have often thought of womens mountain bikes; but we have never had time to do something that is womens specific -- just small sizes;; my idea is something super light in the 22 lb range [that is what my wife likes] but most women seem to be in the $400 range on MTBs and a sub 23lb mountain bike is way over that $$$

Links to OEM product manuals to a great idea

might put them in FAQ type area

thanks

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    Hi Mike.

In reference to a steel 29er, is there any chance that you'll spec one with similar parts to the Fantom Pro? I prefer that model by a large margin over the Elite, which sounds more in line with the steel bike you described.

Thanks.

Yes

we have specs on 3 levels in steel
    but decided to bring the middle one first; as there is limited production

probably high level one will be second; then the entry one

ride for fun
    can you still spec with 27 speed? cause i honestly couldnt have went the extra 200 for the 2011 version of my bike(phantom pro 29sl) i would have bought another bike, probably used or one of the others mentioned above. and honestly i prefer less gears than more, although i am in south florida

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    what you do claiming? bikesdirect.com is best choice. if do you buy the entire bike is more cheaper do you build the only kit.... i have to right to claiming... in brazil we pay more 70% of federal taxs for imports, in everything... a bike of US$1000 (with shipping) costs for me almost US$2300 (we pay tax over product price+ship, not only the product.. bastard!) , and continues was the best choice... you luck for home on a just country

Members who have read this thread: 0