Why did you choose Mongoose ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Why did you choose Mongoose ?

There's a lot of brands out there, why Mongoose ?

mtbr member

Why did you choose Mongoose ?

Cheap but reliable frame i can build up. I live in Kansas so dont have any hard core mountains to fly down. So i don't need a $3k bike. That's what a lot of people don't get on this forum, not all of us live by whistler. They say there junk, some are, but not all. I build it the way i want. Does its job with only few hundred into it.
    Zero G3 im building know

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I find most people who buy Mongoose still are either in two camps..remember when Mongoose was still a real brand, and either don't know that the Wallygoose is not the same thing, or are people who buy cheap Walmart bikes anyways, and would have bought a Hyper or Roadmaster otherwise, and simply don't care. Mongoose does still make higher end bikes only sold online (and maybe the 5 LBS's nationwide that still are holding on). However I think most self respecting buyers given a grand or more, would not buy a mongoose for simple fact that they don't want to be confused with the $100 ones.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Ohhh... But is so much fun showing up with a big Mongoose decal on the down tube and watching to looks on guys faces as they look it over.... Seeing better components than they are useing, hydraulic disc brakes, etc. Then when promptly asked about price... Just say it was on sale for $299... Regularly $399... LoL
    If you stick around... All the somewhat suttle questions begin...
    Where did you get that? Is that all original? Do they have more?

It's funny how so many of the "elitist" LBS are starting to become "Authorized Mongoose Dealers" but haven't told anyone... Don't stock a single bike, and still talk trash about the brand. As they do with Cannondale. Also owned by Doral, the Canadian Co that owns Pacific Cycles. The US currently has such a small bike market, many don't realize what Mongoose sells all over the world, yet they never see here in the states. The Argus Fat Bike for instance...
    Simply look at the Facebook group... We Love Fat Bike
    Or some fat bike groups in Australia. Tell me what you see in a turquoise blue/green with the Mongoose label on the down tube.
    These ain't your family fun bIkes from Wally World ... Nor is the Vinson, often available for under $500 at major sportings goods retailers.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I like them because you don't see them often. I started on a trash picked XR250 that I put a Marzocchi 120mm 01 Bomber and air shock on the rear. Rode it for half a summer before I picked up a Teocali Elite. Loved riding it so much, but felt bad taking it down rocky east coast downhills, so I found a Boot'R to take some extra abuse. They both have similar ride and handling characteristics, so going back and forth is easy. They were a damn good value for the components included.

mtbr member
    Because it was free from a friend who was moving and didn't have the room to transport a bike. Frame is from the 90s but I've go update components and it works great.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Simple, handmedown from a veteran MTB rider who is upgrading!

Its a MOngoose Wing Elite double shock from about 2006 I guess. Seems to work just fine but boy is this built like a tank and heavy to boot.
    I suspect the changes are front forks, brakes to Tektro mech disk and a longer seat stem. (that needs cutting down for Short Arse me!)

I am 60+ and had bikes as a kid, then in teen years, then in 40's got a road bike to weekend cycle to work, now I live in Hornsby NSW and there are nearby MTB tracks and lots of bush with fire trails. I feel the calling again!

Seems like the Mongoose wing is a bit of an antique but will suit me for a while till i learn myself some more.

Thanks for an excellent forum.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Argus. Seemed like a decent bike for a reasonable price.
    Getting back on a bike after 40+ years.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    There are tons of 120-130 USD Mongoose bikes here in Malaysia. I assume those are "Walmart" bikes in US. But to be honest, they are good!

I have an officemate who rides it for 3 years now without maintenance.. not on trails though... but he is using it to 40km ride 2-3x weekly. And the bike still ok with basic components.

I think I will get one for weekly fitness ride.