walmart mongoose upgrade?- Mtbr.com

Sep 2007

walmart mongoose upgrade?

Im curious to hear some of your opinions on this. I got a new XR-75 walmart bike from a lot walmart returns we bought, and I want to hear some opinions on making walmart mongooses better...

thanks in advance!

May The Force Be With You
    replace everything
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8
    replace everything
    Thanks for your "intelllegent" answer.

Can anyone give me any real answers?

i'm a shimano(xt/xtr)/marzocchi/hayes brakes fan. to up-grade the rearshock make sure you have the eye to eye measurement correct maybe look at an upgraded FOX. rims... mavic are nice, and i've had sunringle. i also have downhill straigh 8 so i got the beefy rims. look at some build kits as well, that may help alittle as well... http://go-ride.com/ there's an icon for build kits
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    lol wish i could see the look on his face when the build kit is 10x more expensive than the bike o.o

just throwing it out there is all...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by taikuodo
    lol wish i could see the look on his face when the build kit is 10x more expensive than the bike o.o
    dude. i paid 20 bucks for it and its brand new. why not do some upgrades?

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fordcobra04
    dude. i paid 20 bucks for it and its brand new. why not do some upgrades?
    Because you cant polish a turd. Honestly though, its not worth the trouble. This is coming from a mongoose rider, walmart gooses are basicly the same as those next bikes, just mongoose stickers.

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bringdoom
    Because you cant polish a turd. Honestly though, its not worth the trouble. This is coming from a mongoose rider, walmart gooses are basicly the same as those next bikes, just mongoose stickers.

Gotcha. So Im just gonna ride it until it breaks, and buy something decent.

Thanks bringdoom!

Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by fordcobra04
    Gotcha. So Im just gonna ride it until it breaks, and buy something decent.

Thanks bringdoom!

thats exactly what I would do. get your 20 worth and ride it till it breaks.

MountainMafia "Boss"
    I definately think you can upgrade them, just depends which one you have. Some of the "higher end" wal-mart models are a little bit better quality that their Next bikes. You can strip one down and build up a decent bike. I've done it. Replace the rear shock an forks first. Then maybe the drive train and cock pit. It can be done, and you still some out spending less money than dropping 4K on a new FR/DH bike, which is good if your like me with a wife and kids.
    "Live to ride... FREERIDE to live!!!!!!"

Mar 2008
    i did the same 8yrs , i got a goose from walmart @ $180.00 and after a god upgrade y spend $?,000.00 MongoosePro NXDH , from low end to hight end... look for pics.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a 10 year old Mongoose that I got from my nephew and threw about 60-70 bucks in it and with a free Marz fork from a friend it isn't a bad starter bike. It will get me through this season and buy a nicer bike later on. Ride it to see of you are into it then decide what you want to do.

mtbr member
    get a good used mtn bike from a garage sale ($50). it will save you a hospital visit($10,000).

mtbr member
    Is there a sticker on the seat tube that says "not for offroad use"?

jake the snake
    Feb 2008
    heres an idea run over it with a car tuuck or maby even a trek bike because mongoose sucks

mtbr member
    hey man, here's some solid advice from a non-gear snober.
    some of those bikes are worth upgrading, some are not. being that you only spent 20 bucks and you feel like making some upgrades to the bike, I'll do my best to give you the most solid advice i can. before i go into this, you need to understand that to upgrade this bike to any kind of halfway decent, offroad worthy level, you're going to have to spend the same amount of money that could buy you a better, decently equiped mountain bike used from craigslist, ebay, or any of those sorts of methods. however, I'll still go into this...
    the frame on this bike looks like it weighs quite a bit, and the rear swingarm looks to be made of steel while the rest of the frame is aluminum... the stroke of the rear shock looks VERY short meaning rear travel is very short, this may make finding an upgrade pretty tough.
    step 1. upgrade that fork! i reccomend the rockshox dart series of forks, pretty cheap and they give a lot of bang for the buck. I'd say go with a Dart1.
    step 2. is your seat comfortable, is the seat high enough? are you comfortable on the bike and does it fit you properly? do a search on google to find out how to make sure the bike fits you. if your seat is uncomfortable, or the seat post is too short to get the seat to the correct height, buy a new seat and seatpost. go to your LBS, not target or walmart, the seats they sell there will be no better than what is on the bike.
    step 3. upgrade the rear shock. check with X-fusion for new a rear shock, or look online on ebay for something a bit more "name brand" as was mentioned earlier, you need to measure the "eye to eye" length of the rear shock, that means from center to center of the mounting holes on each end of the rear shock (if you dont have a mm rule, measure in inches, convert the fractional measurement ie: 4 1/4 = 4.25 and then type this in google "x.xin to mm" once you have this measurement, you'll also need bushing size measurements to make the shock fit the frame, a lot of times you can just re-use the ones that came on the old shock, unless the inner diameter of the eye is larger than the outside of the bushing to press through it, in which case you need new bushings.
    step 4. these upgrades will probably have cost you over 300 dollars with ease by now, but if you want to keep going... we can. the crankset and bottom bracket are probably another weak link on that frame, if light duty offroad riding is all you plan to do, just put decent pedals on the bike, if you're happy with the crankset, pedals, etc... leave them alone.
    step 5. by now your wheels are probably out of true, rubbing against your brake pads and the like... again, it was mentioned earlier, go with mavic, or pretty much any other name brand wheelset. there are normally some pretty decent sales on wheelsets. at this point your closing in on 400 or more dollars....

however, your bike is almost halfway decent now, but if you find yourself REALLY enjoying mountain biking, do yourself a HUGE favor and get a nicer bike. you might be able to re-coup some of the money spent by selling the upgraded parts on ebay, but you'll never get back what you spent.

I made the mistake of upgrading an unusual target frame... i spent a lot more than i anticipated and in hindsight, i should have looked for a used full suspension frame and built that up instead. i dont nessicarily regret building up this frame, but if i had to do it again I'd probably not do the same thing. my advice to you sir, is dont spend too much money on this bike, go in the order i went in, and upgrade till your happy, or like a few other folks said, ride it till it breaks and then buy a good used bike...
    bottom line: just enjoy riding your bike, being outside and getting into the sport of mountain biking, its a hell of a lot of fun, dont let the gear snobs get you down...

Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    get a good used mtn bike from a garage sale ($50). it will save you a hospital visit($10,000).
    That just a stupid statement, he didnt say he was gonna do any crazy downhill riding, the the department store bikes for the most part are sturdy enough for and XC riding. Any way the only thing your going to get at a garage sale for $50 is a bike that will more than likely be a cheap bike to begin with and is beat to hell or rusted and need work and $ spent on it.

The only reason not to upgrade that bike at all is that its the cheapest Mongoose mountain bike you can get, $99 at Walmart. Some of the $200+ bike are worth a little upgrading especialy if you get them on clearance for cheap and buy your upgrades cheap on ebay, or Performance bike is good for sales on their Forte brand parts like brakes, seatposts,stems and such. I upgraded my $200 ($150 on clearance) Mongoose tactic during a half price sale and got Forte Precision seat post, Forte Team MTB v brakes front and rear, Forte Team MTB stem, and a WTB Speed V saddle for $95 dollars including tax. Then I made about $25 selling the original parts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivisect_VI
    That just a stupid statement, he didnt say he was gonna do any crazy downhill riding, the the department store bikes for the most part are sturdy enough for and XC riding. Any way the only thing your going to get at a garage sale for $50 is a bike that will more than likely be a cheap bike to begin with and is beat to hell or rusted and need work and $ spent on it.

The only reason not to upgrade that bike at all is that its the cheapest Mongoose mountain bike you can get, $99 at Walmart. Some of the $200+ bike are worth a little upgrading especialy if you get them on clearance for cheap and buy your upgrades cheap on ebay, or Performance bike is good for sales on their Forte brand parts like brakes, seatposts,stems and such. I upgraded my $200 ($150 on clearance) Mongoose tactic during a half price sale and got Forte Precision seat post, Forte Team MTB v brakes front and rear, Forte Team MTB stem, and a WTB Speed V saddle for $95 dollars including tax. Then I made about $25 selling the original parts.

I agree that the 200+ dollar bikes, in some cases, are worth upgrading. I have the older model schwinn S60 DSX, i have upgraded pretty much everything on the bike, the only things left stock are the frame, rear brakes, handlebars, brake levers and shifters, and the front deraileur. everything else, and i mean everything else, is upgraded. i already had lots of the parts (wheelset, rear deraileur, bar ends, etc....) but i still spend at least 500 bucks total between the bike and the upgrades.... buying a higher quality used bike is a better plan nearly everytime. the problem is being patient enough to find the right bike in the right size when buying used.

May 2008
    I got a mongoose status, which after looking at the walmart bikes is a step up from that. My bike I paid 300.00 for it has dual disk brakes (that work great) ez fire shifters (that are spot on shifting everytime), riaser bars (that are very comfortable to ride), Front shocks that (do the job I put them through), Rear suspension (that also does the job I put it through), it has some good 26x2.5 tires with light alloy rims (that I really like).

The bike looks great and rides great, some people told me on this forum that I shouldnt jump a tree root with it because its a toy bike. Well I have been having it between 4-6 months, I have been trail riding a good bit with it, jumping a home made table top and ramp in my yard with it and its just been performing wonderfully!!!

Dont let snot nose snobs that only ride bikes that are worth what I paid for my work truck discourage you, you take your newly found mongoose and upgrade what ever it is you think needs to be better and have your self some good old trail riding fun! When it goes out get you another one.

Now any crappy replies to what I have to say I hearby slap your snotty faces with a cyber SMACK!!! Before you can even utter the words your cheap mongoose is prolly performing just as good as my kona :-) I shoulda bought the wife a new fridge instead PWAH! And besides if anyone of you that bad mouth economy riding fellow bikers with a three thousand dollar bike were to be riding in my neck, I would dust you on your shiney refrig expensive bike anyway with my toy bike :-)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I had to jump in here. That XR-75 is not worth upgrading. Not that I have a far superior bike myself. But having tried a higher end Walmart bike the Mongoose BlackComb. $300 and returned which is similar to a Status also $300 (which Toysrus sells) that XR-75 is on the very low end.

Component wise you don't even have Disc brakes which are almost standard these days

Looking at the Blackcomb and Status they use many of the same exact components on Giant and Trek Bikes Shiman EZ fire shifter Trek uses the same Shimano Acera or Atlus derailer and ProMax brakes and other use the RST Capa 8 front shock.

might be better of with those because with upgrade costs will be way more than the bike itself which is not even a high quality aluminum or hydroformed and uses nameless componenets. And you'll still have what everyone sees is a $90 Walmart blue mongoose.

The Blackcomb is not bad at $300 or on sale for $250 its rideable without any upgrades the 19" inch frame was just too uncomfortable and it was a very heavy bike

May 2008
    to each his own still......... if it works for you JAM ON IT, if not go higher. Mine works for me and if I choose to get a set of roxshox for it thats me, or the original poster it doesnt much matter how much they cost agaisnt the cost of the bike at least he will have some better shocks. or a better seat, or a better rear shock, what ever he decides to upgrade.
    But at any rate as we can see its totally up to the rider, and everyone is different. I like my bike, and its what I could afford to pay for it and if I wanted to change something on it, I dont mind spending a few bucks on it to do so. But I like it the way it is so Im not upgrading anything. All of my noname toy parts are working just fine !!!! When I swoosh by those guys on higher end bikes they think so as well.

Dec 2009
    I agree with Iridethedirt. Most of the dudes on here are Haters. Not everybody can afford a $6K bike. Congrats on getting a bike for $20. I rode a Mongoose XR-500 from Walmart since 2000 and just reciently broke it. Not the greatest bikes out there but atleast I'm not out 5Grand on a bike.
    Here's my 2cents: If you do plan on upgrading it be wise about what you buy. Try to buy parts that you can put on a better bike or frame in the future. Or parts that will last so you can sell it to some kid that is just wanting to hit the trails.
    Upgrades I would make: New tires. A new front fork. Handlebar and grips. Most of these upgrades can be put on other bikes. If you upgrade the Seatpost be careful, it might not fit on your next bike.
    The shifters should work fine for now but some newer stuff will work better.
    That bike is gonna be heavy. Try to buy parts that will lighten your load. Try to find suff made of 7075 Aluminum. It's lighter than 6061.
    Good luck and just get out and ride.
    PS try not to do anything extreme w/ that bike. It will break.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Um...you realize you just revived a thread over a year old...

Pee's in the H8teraid
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic
    Um...you realize you just revived a thread over a year old...
    Archaeology...Ya Dig?

Dec 2009
    And I am sure we will see it again and again. As long as Walmart sells bikes that look like hardcore mountain bike people will buy them thinking they are ready for some hard riding

Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Drakken_11
    I agree with Iridethedirt. Most of the dudes on here are Haters. Not everybody can afford a $6K bike. Congrats on getting a bike for $20. I rode a Mongoose XR-500 from Walmart since 2000 and just reciently broke it. Not the greatest bikes out there but atleast I'm not out 5Grand on a bike.
    Here's my 2cents: If you do plan on upgrading it be wise about what you buy. Try to buy parts that you can put on a better bike or frame in the future. Or parts that will last so you can sell it to some kid that is just wanting to hit the trails.
    Upgrades I would make: New tires. A new front fork. Handlebar and grips. Most of these upgrades can be put on other bikes. If you upgrade the Seatpost be careful, it might not fit on your next bike.
    The shifters should work fine for now but some newer stuff will work better.
    That bike is gonna be heavy. Try to buy parts that will lighten your load. Try to find suff made of 7075 Aluminum. It's lighter than 6061.
    Good luck and just get out and ride.
    PS try not to do anything extreme w/ that bike. It will break.
    WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THE WALLY WORLD GOOSE WILL BRAKE? DO YOU MEAN LIKE THE FRAME OR SOMETHING REPLACEABLE? IVE GOT ON I GOT ABOUT 3 YEARS AGO AND WAS INTERESTED IN UPGRADING TO BETTER SUSPENSION BECAUSE THE FACTORY FRONT AND BACK SUSPENSION SUCKS.

mtbr member
    And it might hook them enough to draw them into the sport, they might buy a newer better bike the next spring and get into doing some local group rides, even some races. The Wally world gooses give the higher end gooses a very bad name, and make people judge the entire brand based on the offerings you find in Wally world. If it wasn't mongoose or schwinn logos it would just be another 200 or so dollar bike with a pogo stick rigged as suspension... But it doesn't matter if they buy a crap bike and find out riding trails is very fun, and upgrade, or that 1999 fisher with the blown out Judy, the upgrade bug finds us all, and we all buy new bikes, and we all found the sport somehow.
    For me, three years ago a target schwinn got me riding again after a ten year lapse, I used to race as a teenager and always loved it. I knew I was buying an ultra low end bike, but I also knew I was fat out of shape and far from needing high end gear. It was also what I could afford. I now ride a mongoose khyber elite frame with xfusion rear shock, rockshox tora 318 coil w/uturn and my assortment of upgraded goodies from the target schwinn, as well as new parts which would not swap over or simply just needed to be replaced. Doesn't matter how the bug bites you, it eventually will, and you will find a way to get better, higher performance gear, no matter if you get the 200 dollar Wally world special, the 400 dollar entry level hardtail from your lbs, or a used set up, you will upgrade, and you will have a passion for riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iridethedirt
    And it might hook them enough to draw them into the sport, they might buy a newer better bike the next spring and get into doing some local group rides, even some races. The Wally world gooses give the higher end gooses a very bad name, and make people judge the entire brand based on the offerings you find in Wally world. If it wasn't mongoose or schwinn logos it would just be another 200 or so dollar bike with a pogo stick rigged as suspension... But it doesn't matter if they buy a crap bike and find out riding trails is very fun, and upgrade, or that 1999 fisher with the blown out Judy, the upgrade bug finds us all, and we all buy new bikes, and we all found the sport somehow.
    For me, three years ago a target schwinn got me riding again after a ten year lapse, I used to race as a teenager and always loved it. I knew I was buying an ultra low end bike, but I also knew I was fat out of shape and far from needing high end gear. It was also what I could afford. I now ride a mongoose khyber elite frame with xfusion rear shock, rockshox tora 318 coil w/uturn and my assortment of upgraded goodies from the target schwinn, as well as new parts which would not swap over or simply just needed to be replaced. Doesn't matter how the bug bites you, it eventually will, and you will find a way to get better, higher performance gear, no matter if you get the 200 dollar Wally world special, the 400 dollar entry level hardtail from your lbs, or a used set up, you will upgrade, and you will have a passion for riding.
    Well said I started out with a mongoose XR-75 8 years ago now I have a Homegrown there ok to get you started and thats all could afford at the time.

mtbr member
    Umm I just bought a Mongoose XR-Comp and love it this is probably one of the best bikes I have ever had.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails walmart mongoose upgrade?-dsc01897.jpg  

walmart mongoose upgrade?-new-bike.jpg  

Specialized hardrock sport 29er Disk
    givin to me. 26in. next brand hardtail

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyR
    Umm I just bought a Mongoose XR-Comp and love it this is probably one of the best bikes I have ever had.

But what do you have to compare it too?

mtbr member
    pos 100 dollar bikes
    Specialized hardrock sport 29er Disk
    givin to me. 26in. next brand hardtail

Hi.
    pos 100 dollar bikes

Isn't that Mongoose a POS 100 dollar bike?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    Isn't that Mongoose a POS 100 dollar bike?

Depends on who owns it.... To one person it is a $100POS but to the next it is a $6000 Santa cruz

I own a POS Mongoose and don't plan on changing anytime soon Hell it will take anything that Eric Carter can throw at it.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan
    Depends on who owns it.... To one person it is a $100POS but to the next it is a $6000 Santa cruz

I own a POS Mongoose and don't plan on changing anytime soon Hell it will take anything that Eric Carter can throw at it.......

I agree that to some people, that bike may be a nice bike, But to say that it could take anything that Eric Carter can through at it is a joke. That bike couldnt take what I would throw at it. I know because i use to ride cheap bikes and spent more money on fixing them then if i would have just got a real bike in the first place. But, we all have to start somewhere!

Hi.
    It was a joke

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    It was a joke
    no it wasn't
    it was a barb
    and most agree w/ you
    Last edited by highdelll; 04-23-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    Honestly... ahh I give up

mtbr member
    This being the bike where the crank-arm fell off, and you are trading in for a specialized 29'er?
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    I agree that to some people, that bike may be a nice bike, But to say that it could take anything that Eric Carter can through at it is a joke. That bike couldnt take what I would throw at it. I know because i use to ride cheap bikes and spent more money on fixing them then if i would have just got a real bike in the first place. But, we all have to start somewhere!
    I didn't say HIS Mongoose could handle the abuse....I said MY mongoose can handle EC. ..Being it is one of his favorite POS Mongoose bikes.... If you know what he rides you'll understand...
    But anyway... the OP has bike he can ride and have fun even if it is not a $2500+ bike. Who gives a cr_p

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by rsullivan
    I didn't say HIS Mongoose could handle the abuse....I said MY mongoose can handle EC. ..Being it is one of his favorite POS Mongoose bikes.... If you know what he rides you'll understand...
    But anyway... the OP has bike he can ride and have fun even if it is not a $2500+ bike. Who gives a cr_p
    I know what he rides and I 'understand'

BTW, I'd love a mongoose.... maybe a Boot'R?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    If you can have fun on it and it doesn't cause you to get hurt, and you dont have to make a huge initial investment, and you can potentially have a minimal loss when selling it or ridding of it, then why not? Granted that's alot of ifs....

Actually I am looking quite forward to picking up my own little walmart mongoose quite shortly for pretty inexpensive and used. I have looked at the walmart bikes, and honestly I think the snare and dh team could actually be pretty decent and fun bikes that seem rather sturdy (at a glance, of course so did that xr comp). But I actually for some reason like the looks of the black xr75, the cheapest mongoose dual suspension around. They don't even look well made, and sitting on some of them they seem like they were put together horrible.

So yes Im going get one. For fun. Then I am going to ride it where people say you shouldn't... Off road. I think I will enjoy this little novelty bike.
    Last edited by WalGoose; 04-26-2010 at 01:47 AM.

~Disc~Golf~
    trollie itroll ster trolldheim

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Yes must be a little magical creature that has bright pink hair and you can make wishes with......

Common Highdell I thought you of all people would enjoy the name walgoose the most. Don't take me too seriously though.

~Disc~Golf~

mtbr member
    Phew, what a relief. For a minute I thought that WalGoose had failed to respond to highdelll because he had split his melon open while riding the novelty bike off road.
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well there is a possibility my name gives the wrong impression. While I do have a special and bizzare place in my heart that likes the "walgeese" I don't actually own one yet. But I will most likely be aquiring myself a used xr75 on a trade in the next week. (by the way the xr75 is the super duper awesome $99 walgoose model, that I think looks kinda cool).

I actually already have a bike of my own and am just getting back into riding recently. I am getting the walgoose xr as a second bike as a cheap commuter and as a second bike for when I try to get friends to come riding with me. (ps my other bike isn't an expensive one either, but probably not looked at in the same light as the goose)

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    Phew, what a relief. For a minute I thought that WalGoose had failed to respond to highdelll because he had split his melon open while riding the novelty bike off road.
    Not yet, but I will be certain to wear a helmet on that bike when on trails. I guess I am not too concerned with catastrophic events taking place as I will most likely be aware and somewhat gentle on it. As well as checking the frame out periodically. What I might be the most concerned with is the forks, sometimes cheap forks make me think something bad will happen. Nevermind, mongoose is a great brand that has been making great bikes for longer than many people on this site have been alive, what could possibly go wrong....

~Disc~Golf~
    something smells funny in here

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WalGoose
    Well there is a possibility my name gives the wrong impression. While I do have a special and bizzare place in my heart that likes the "walgeese" I don't actually own one yet. But I will most likely be aquiring myself a used xr75 on a trade in the next week. (by the way the xr75 is the super duper awesome $99 walgoose model, that I think looks kinda cool).

I actually already have a bike of my own and am just getting back into riding recently. I am getting the walgoose xr as a second bike as a cheap commuter and as a second bike for when I try to get friends to come riding with me. (ps my other bike isn't an expensive one either, but probably not looked at in the same light as the goose)
    What are you trading for a used xr75? A Bic pen? If you give anything more then that your coming out on the wrong side of that deal.

Members who have read this thread: 2