Snagged a Schwinn Homegrown for free- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Snagged a Schwinn Homegrown for free

So long story short just picked this up today. I believe it is a 95 but I am unable to find the Serial number on it. It's pretty well used but still rides like a dream.
    Snagged a Schwinn Homegrown for free-homegrown1.jpgSnagged a Schwinn Homegrown for free-homegrown2.jpgSnagged a Schwinn Homegrown for free-homegrown3.jpgSnagged a Schwinn Homegrown for free-homegrown4.jpgSnagged a Schwinn Homegrown for free-homegrown5.jpg

Moderator Moderator
    Schwinn Homegrown Model Identifier | Bonus Tomato

I thought it was around a 98 but cold be older.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Well the reason I am leaning towards it being a 95, is the lower chainstays, where they meet the BB and the lack of Hayes disc mount. Here is another 95 (different paint job) https://www.flickr.com/photos/438829...7624622600032/

Moderator Moderator
    You could be right I was taking a guess but none the less really good looking bike.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Thanks, I need to tear it down and restore it fromThe ground up. It's a fun ride fore sure.

CTB
    mtbr member
    Wow, that's a heck of a bike for free!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by CTB View Post
    Wow, that's a heck of a bike for free!
    yeah, I live just North of topeka in Kansas and they have a group called cycle project. It's a non profit organization that has a free bike shop you can come volunteer your time at. After a certain number of hours you can get a bike. I saw this sitting there with no back tire or tube, no seat post or seat or see eat clamp and a broken rear derailleur. So I rebuilt the missing peices f rom what they had there and now it is my main ride. Though I plan on upgrading some components.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I love the ride of those old homegrowns. Good pick!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    I love the ride of those old homegrowns. Good pick!
    Yeah I love this thing too, I had almost forgotten how much Geometry has changed over the years. This bike even though it's the same size bike as My trek, it is so much shorter front to back, giving me a lot more control over the bike. I am seriously half tempted to to start swapping the parts out from my Trek to use on the Homegrown. I need to definitely need to replace the front shock it is very worn out.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbdeman View Post
    Yeah I love this thing too, I had almost forgotten how much Geometry has changed over the years. This bike even though it's the same size bike as My trek, it is so much shorter front to back, giving me a lot more control over the bike. I am seriously half tempted to to start swapping the parts out from my Trek to use on the Homegrown. I need to definitely need to replace the front shock it is very worn out.
    You could find a 3 lbs Sid for almost nothing. It'll flex if you use disc brakes on it though. I would love to find a homegrown locally. I have a hard time paying so much on eBay for a frame that's 20 years old.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    You could find a 3 lbs Sid for almost nothing. It'll flex if you use disc brakes on it though. I would love to find a homegrown locally. I have a hard time paying so much on eBay for a frame that's 20 years old.
    I aggree. I got extremely lucky with this. I really like my other bikes but. Tbh this one has nostalgia, it's from the time frame I started riding. But yeah I couldn't afford to actually buy the bike at eBay prices.

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by robbdeman View Post
    I aggree. I got extremely lucky with this. I really like my other bikes but. Tbh this one has nostalgia, it's from the time frame I started riding. But yeah I couldn't afford to actually buy the bike at eBay prices.
    I started seriously riding in 08 so the frame doesn't have nostalgia for me. The bike that I rode was a friend's and I just loved it. Extremely agile bike and I can't justify the ebay price because a 20 year old frame may last a lifetime or one ride.

I should probably keep looking and one will eventually show up at the right price.

Rod
    mtbr member
    You have a great ride. Enjoy it and give us some updates. I won't be surprised if you remove parts from your newer

mtbr member
    May 2015
    You have a great ride. Enjoy it and give us some updates. I won't be surprised if you remove parts from your newer
    I will for sure, and I think I am going to do that, steal the parts from the trek that need replacing, off the Schwinn. Also want to Try 1 X 9 drive train.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I really like the 1x9 drivetrain. I'm running a 32/34 and I can climb anything in my area, which includes North Carolina. I'm a climber though. A 36 gear would be great on the incredibly long and steep hills.