Should I Sell the Straight 8??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Should I Sell the Straight 8??

2001 Small frame (push shock, not the earlier pull type) Lawill suspension rear

So I ride this bike almost 4 times a year average (Only twice the last two years) . I can't ride it locally here in CT because it weighs almost 50 pounds. I used it strictly as a DH, lift serviced trail bike (Killington, MT Snow)...

I bought a 2007 Spec Demo 7 last month because it has a bit more versatility and is lighter , although still NOT a true XC bike, it weighs 42 pounds, so I am fit enough to pedal it (just not fast :P) .. It seems as slack and stable as the Schwinn but I haven't had it on a true DH trail yet.

Should I keep the Schwinn as a spare/loaner , or sell it?? The money is not the number one reason. I have 4 'off-road" bikes now, 2 XC, the DH, and the Demo 7. Running low on room in the basement.
    Last edited by John; 10-11-2007 at 02:54 PM.

May The Force Be With You
    year/size?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance
    '11 Jedi (for sale, small)

thank you, how much might you be willing to sell her for?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance

mtbr "member"

Keep it!

Actually, I'm kinda having the same type of issue. I have 2 straight 8's left after selling off my other lawwill bikes. One is a new push shock type that's only been ridden 2 times. Money is not an issue with me either so I still love the simplicity of the design and the ride so I'm finally decided to hold on to mine. Room is an issue though. Any one need a Dakar XLT?

By the way, shwinn8, how's the straight 6 working out?

REEK

never had a straight6. my current str8 is doing ok, i'm building a homegrown so i can ride around town. i'm looking for a small(17'') 4banger also
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Keep It!

As time goes on there are less and less of these around. Eventually they will be worth a ton! However, right now it is not worth that much. If you have room, I would keep it as a spare or loaner as you suggested.

I am still riding my 97 bass boat blue Straight-6.I happen to have a spare pull shock, so I am not that worried about it going out of commision. I suppose if I have a frame failure, I would get rid of it. But until then, I am riding it. As a matter of fact I am looking to buy a newer fork for next year.

mtbr "member"

My bad

Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8
    never had a straight6. my current str8 is doing ok, i'm building a homegrown so i can ride around town. i'm looking for a small(17'') 4banger also

For some reason, I thought you had mentioned a straight six in the past.

REEK

Quote Originally Posted by Reek
    For some reason, I thought you had mentioned a straight six in the past.

REEK

it all good.

just so we're not jacking his post...KEEP THE STRAIGHT 8!!! i always get complements at the mountain with i'm riding
    Last edited by shwinn8; 10-13-2007 at 10:28 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Alright , Keeping it !!

But it's going to be stored in my tiny shed . I'll have to hang it from the rafters near a back wall to make it fit. Too much in there already!!

I made a major change to the way the bike shifts last year. I removed the stock hanger location and built my own derailluer hanger. I recently installed a better design than my original to increase strength of the hanger. My only issue with it is that over washboard trails, the derailluer will clatter against the chainstay (when in the top 5 gears) . No bike is perfect I guess.

how much for the fork?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    '01 Straight 8
    '16 Balance

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shwinn8
    how much for the fork?
    Can't part out the bike if I'm keeping it!! It was over $750 new when I bought it in 2003 (2003 Shiver DC 190mm).

Members who have read this thread: 0