Are Schwinn S-25 Full Sus. Mountain Bike Frames worth putting tons of money into?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2018

Are Schwinn S-25 Full Sus. Mountain Bike Frames worth putting tons of money into?

I got this bike at a pawn shop near me a couple years back, and I'm assuming it's a Big box store bike, since most schwinn bikes that look like mine are from Big box stores like target, walmart, etc. I noticed on the back it says 6061 Mountain, and 6061 Aluminum is pretty tough... Right? anyways, I have already some after market components, like the forks, rear shock, handlebars/stem, wheelset, and a one by seven (11 - 34t) All that was about 900 dollars including price of bike which was 90 dollars. I know that's a lot, but did I waste my money? Is it worth putting more money into? I plan on doing some XC, trail/enduro, with small to mid sized jumps. But... any thoughts?

mtbr member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O70Y3X57Slk

is this the bike? You may have wasted that 90bucks but maybe you could find a better frame to put all those parts on. Where do you live? have you checked your local CL for bikes for frames? There are some very nice new bikes for under 1k you could have bought, but don't give up yet.
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O70Y3X57Slk

is this the bike? You may have wasted that 90bucks but maybe you could find a better frame to put all those parts on. Where do you live? have you checked your local CL for bikes for frames? There are some very nice new bikes for under 1k you could have bought, but don't give up yet.
    Yep that's what I have... I live in Burien Washington, and yes I have checked craigslist (if that's what you mean by CL) I have not found anything yet below 400 dollars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    Its personal choice. If you like the bike & its fits you good go for it. You already put a lot into it.
    I have the full suspension Mongoose 29" I got for free, was thinking of taking parts from my trek marlin 6 & getting a new rear shock so I have a decent full suspension bike.
    I will look for a nice used full suspension frame someone is getting rid of cheap, no rush.
    Good luck & enjoy the ride

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    If you like the bike and also get some enjoyment out of shopping for parts and installing/upgrading then I think you made a good choice. I have an 03 Trek that I put over $1000 into this past winter. Could I have just bought a new bike? Yes. But I got a lot of enjoyment out of looking for deals on components online and then installing them myself. Also I have one of the last years Trek made mid-level frames in USA and that makes the bike valuable to me. So in conclusion, beauty is in the eye of the beholder .