MongoosePro Grand Marquis Build- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2015

MongoosePro Grand Marquis Build

Hello MTBR Forums!

This is my first post here and I could use some help with a recent bike frame purchase and build. I found an unused 2002 MongoosePro Grand Marquis frame on eBay for a good price and decided to give building a FS bike a try. I recently purchased a Rockshox Sektor RL on Amazon for the build but when I got the package it actually contained a brand new 2012 Rockshox Boxxer World Cup Solo Air! I am considering selling the Boxxer but on the off-chance I wanted to give it a try will it completely mess up the geometry of the Grand Marquis frame? What would my head tube angle be with a 200mm fork (568mm axle to crown)? The Marquis is a size small, I believe. as the seat tube is 15.75". My main use for the bike will be trail/AM riding but I have been known take any drop I come across.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I remember these frames! Actually thought it was a descent bike, didn't see too many on the trails though. Would be a great project! I would not use the Boxxer. WAY too much travel and stress on the headtube. You have a great fork for a DH build!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    I remember these frames! Actually thought it was a descent bike, didn't see too many on the trails though. Would be a great project! I would not use the Boxxer. WAY too much travel and stress on the headtube. You have a great fork for a DH build!
    I really like the fork (especially since it is way better than anything I would ever pay full price for) but can't justify building a downhill bike when I live on the Arkansas/Texas border and will be using the bike for mainly trail riding. A number of years ago I had a Kona Stab while living in Florida and didn't keep it long because, although I loved the plush long travel, I couldn't stand riding it on the trails because it was such a dog to peddle. Plus, I've already bought too many other pieces for the Grand Marquis to start over with a DH bike. I was initially thinking of a 150mm Sektor for the Marquis, do you think that travel will work well? Because the Marquis is old and Mongoose isn't what it used to be, I can't find much info about the frame online.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It had a 100-125mm travel fork originally. I would not go any longer than 150, I would probably feel comfortable with 125ish. Hard to believe that someone still has one of those frames brand new, love to see how it turns out. I remember around then they also made a TI frame that I saw a couple of... I digress...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Here is a picture of the frame I purchased. I believe that it is the second generation of the Grand Marquis frame as the first generation had a straight seat tube and more XC oriented geometry. MongoosePro Grand Marquis Build-mongoosepro-grand-marquis.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah, I remember those too, the headtube angle is adjustable if I remember right. I think people were using 125-150mm forks on those with the headtube slacker. Sweet looking frame. Ideas for rear shock?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I purchased a slightly used X-Fusion 02 R 7.5x2 for the rear. I'm on a tight budget with this build so I'm being a real bargain shopper. So far I have installed a Truvative Howitzer crankset and bottom bracket, the X-Fusion shock, seatpost clamp, and seatpost. I have a handlebar and grips waiting to go on but need a fork and stem for that (hence my original post about the fork). The headtube is adjustable by spinning it around inside the frame which is a very interesting feature.