Mongoose XR 200 help- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2007

New question here. Mongoose XR 200 help

Hi all,
    I need some help. I am a teen with 100$ and love riding. Should I get this for 164$ and save or buy the even lowere end model THE XR75 for 100$. I saw them at Walmart. I heard The XR 75 has a lot of bad comp. and does not have a disc brak in front. On the other hand I have heard good thing s on the XR 200. Its got a front disc brake but an un comfy seat (just buy an other one). So what should i do ???? HELP!!!!!!!

May the Force be with you
    I had one of those bikes back in the day. Save your mony and if your on a very tight budget go to Cosco,Target,craigslist or ebay.But if I were you I would save a bit more and get a little better bike.
    It will be worth it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Why shouldn't I ? And what type is good?
    THX

mtbr member
    May 2007
    "Mongoose 24" Dueler Bike" what about this?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    My roommate just bought the xr200. It weights about 50 or 60 pounds and the disc brake in the front rubs and doesn't stop well. It would be better off with a V-brake. I understand you're a teen. How old are you? Is there no way you save a little more money?

Look on eBay for someone selling a bike with a local pick up option or, if you find a bike for sale near you ask the seller if you can come pick the bike up.

You should do anything you can to avoid buying a Wal-Mart bike. Go to your local bike shop and find the cheapest bike they have if you want to avoid eBay. ANYTHING but Wal-Mart. If you can find an old bike on E-bay with only front suspension or no suspension at all you'd be better off than you would be with that bike. Below are some examples of cheap bikes on eBay. Good luck. P.S. I got my bike on eBay. It's an S-Works and I love it. eBay is a good thing. Just be patient and keep your eyes open.

http://cgi.ebay.com/26-inch-mountain...ayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gary-Fisher-Moun...6.c0.m14.l1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannondale-Delta...6.c0.m14.l1318

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by fitchhollister
    My roommate just bought the xr200. It weights about 50 or 60 pounds and the disc brake in the front rubs and doesn't stop well. It would be better off with a V-brake. I understand you're a teen. How old are you? Is there no way you save a little more money?

Look on eBay for someone selling a bike with a local pick up option or, if you find a bike for sale near you ask the seller if you can come pick the bike up.

You should do anything you can to avoid buying a Wal-Mart bike. Go to your local bike shop and find the cheapest bike they have if you want to avoid eBay. ANYTHING but Wal-Mart. If you can find an old bike on E-bay with only front suspension or no suspension at all you'd be better off than you would be with that bike. Below are some examples of cheap bikes on eBay. Good luck. P.S. I got my bike on eBay. It's an S-Works and I love it. eBay is a good thing. Just be patient and keep your eyes open.

http://cgi.ebay.com/26-inch-mountain...ayphotohosting

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gary-Fisher-Moun...6.c0.m14.l1318

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannondale-Delta...6.c0.m14.l1318

+1 to what he said. The walmart bikes are cheap for a reason, they will break! (not to mention heavier than hell). Save your money a little longer, try asking your parents to go 50/50 on a purchase, Mow lawns, do anything to get some cash. In the end, you'll realize why walmart bikes are a bad idea.

Dec 2008

Rear Suspension seperating from frame

My question is this, up until yesterday I had a Mongoose XR-200 until I had what can only be described as a catastropic failure with the rear suspension. Riding normally and then I remember waking up on the ground. I was told that the rear suspension totally seperated itself from the frame of the bike, and then the bike simply folded inwards. I am trying to find out if a.: there are any recalls on that rear suspension, and b.: if there is anyone who has heard of this happening to any mongoose bikes before. Yes I bought it at walmart, was just a bike to use around town. No trail riding or such, just up and back on the road. Any help I can get will be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

bike

hey man i know i hear alot of hatin on the xr200 from mongoose and for the price it aint bad at all yes the suspension is a little stiff but other than that ive had mine for about 4 months and ride it about 13 miles a day on and off road. the only thing i changed was the seat to stiff. other than that im pretty happy with the bike, now yes it aint a titus, or specialized bike but a good bang for the buck, if i had the money id buy a titus....

mtbr member
    hey i got a schwinn from costco and the very first componant that went out was that fake reservior rear shock with a 800 pound coil spring.the bushing for the shock shaft wore and it started t make noise.i replaced it with a rock shox deluxe duh now i have a vanilla rc on it also i had to replace both frt and rear rims .they got warped on curbs lol.
    go and save alittle or youll end up replacing parts...aloha

Dec 2008
    Would changing the seat rod, to a longer one have any effect on the suspension? That is what was questioned while we try to figure out what happened with my bike. That being when I put a longer seat rod on my bike, that it changed the set up of the bike and thus might have led to the rear suspension seperating from the frame. Had a look yesterday at the point where the suspension hooks up to the bike and it appears from all looks as if it just simply seperated from the Frame

I know that there was a recall on this bike, in the 20 inch version, in 2006; This bike however is the 2007 26 inch version. The problem with th 06 version was the rear suspension, any chance that this is a problem with the 07 26 inch version?

Big Gulps, Alright!
    Bottom line (and there's a whole thread on this) is that Mongoose or Schwinn department store bikes are toys. They are not build for any serious use on road or off. The rear suspension separating from the frame is not atypical of this type of bike. They have cheap, weak parts, frames made of heavy materials and spotty welds, and no real warranty to speak of.

Your best bet, is to get the cheapest bike your bike shop has to offer, or a used one from craigslist or something similar. It will hold up to lots more abuse and you get actual customer service.

The extra money you spend on a nicer bike will be far less expensive than the dental bills you'll have after you break your face on a Mongoose Wal-Mart bike.
    Axle Standards Explained

Founder at North Atlantic Dirt, riding & writing about trails in the northeast.

Blind biker
    If you have to get a cheap bike from walmart get a rigid one if you can i have one that is 6 years old and is in prefect working condition. stay away from the xr75 i had one for 6 weeks and it went to hell but i rode it for atleast 20 miles each day 7 days a week.

Mar 2009

Mongoose 200 XR Advice

I have a Mongoose XR 200 that i bought in Wal Mart a 3/4 years ago and am thinking of upgrading it, is it possible to replace to rear V brake with a Avid Juicy 5 Hydraulic Disk Brake, because the Promax Cable Disk Brakes on the front SUCK nd i need something with a bit more power on the back for going downhill!!!

Just read through a few posts about the XR 200 exploding Mid Ride. . . Cant say i've have any kinda problem like that, i mainly ride off road and downhill. I'd love a Specialized StumpJumper but there the small issue of the whopper price tag!!! Guess im just gona hav ta stick with the good old Mongo for the minute. .

If anyone has any ideas on the Brake replacement id appreciate a Post!!!

Cheers!!!!
    Last edited by Gippo50; 04-04-2009 at 04:31 AM.

Jun 2007
    dude putting a juicy 5 on that bike is pointless. 1. You'll pay a ton to have brake tabs on the rear, pay for a new rear wheel and hub. 2. the brake itself cost about as much as thw bike itself. 3. When riding DH you should not be braking with your rean anyway........ So no don't put a juicy on the rear.

Do you mean specialized Stumpjumper? never heard of a superjumper.
    Last edited by evilimprdr; 04-03-2009 at 01:09 PM.

Mar 2009
    [QUOTE=evilimprdr]dude putting a juicy 5 on that bike is pointless. 1. You'll pay a ton to have brake tabs on the rear, pay for a new rear wheel and hub. 2. the brake itself cost about as much as thw bike itself. 3. When riding DH you should not be braking with your rean anyway........ So no don't put a juicy on the rear.

Cheer Man, Guess your rite. . . . . But you can pick up a new Avid Juicy 5 rear for about $70 on ebay. . .

nd Dude I'm curious, riding DH if your not using your rear then what you gona slow yourself wit. . . . .?

Thanks for the advice!!!

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=Gippo50]
    Quote Originally Posted by evilimprdr
    dude putting a juicy 5 on that bike is pointless. 1. You'll pay a ton to have brake tabs on the rear, pay for a new rear wheel and hub. 2. the brake itself cost about as much as thw bike itself. 3. When riding DH you should not be braking with your rean anyway........ So no don't put a juicy on the rear.

Cheer Man, Guess your rite. . . . . But you can pick up a new Avid Juicy 5 rear for about $70 on ebay. . .

nd Dude I'm curious, riding DH if your not using your rear then what you gona slow yourself wit. . . . .?

Thanks for the advice!!!
    You should be using the front. If you have proper braking technique you'll have no problems using the front

Jun 2007
    if your braking with your rear it will cause your suspention not to operate right because your rear wheel isn't spinning lossing traction. Best thing to remember is that your wheels are like gyro's, if there spinning fast there help you stay upright.

mtbr member
    I just upgraded from riding a Mongoose XR75 (a "Walgoose") to a real Mongoose bought at a bike shop. While the difference between the two is staggering, it does not seem that you are ready (either out of necessity, or availability of funds) to make that leap. I did some minor upgrades to the XR75 while I was riding it, but do yourself a favor and don't pour money into it. Save it up for the time when you are ready to get a better bike. Do inexpensive upgrades or modifications and enjoy riding.

My XR75 had linear pull brakes both in front and the rear. Your's has one only on the rear. I found that they worked much better when I bent the springs outward to give them much more resistance and a quicker re-opening. You should also remove the brakes' caliper arms and move the spring retainer to the "outer most" adjustment hole. Use a good thin bike lube in all the areas where the brake's inner cable enters a sheath area, and lube all the moving parts on the brakes and levers. For the front disc brake, you can open it up and carefully clean all the braking surfaces (pads and rotor) with rubbing alcohol. If the pads appear worn buy some new ones - the original equipment pads that came with my son's Promax mechanical disc brakes were crap - BB5 pads should fit into this brake and are much more available and usually better quality. You can lube your moving parts here too, but avoid any lubricant in any place that can work it's way onto your rotor or pads.

Have fun on that bike, but be careful doing anything extreme. I rode only cross country, and still spent considerable time fixing and tweaking. I think even moderate downhill or freeride would break something on that bike - or at least bend the rims.
    Vehor vivo est!

mtbr member
    I don't mind at all - I got the Otero Pro at Performance and I love it...rode about 9 miles today (slow day - it was kind of cold). This bike seems to handle anything with ease. For example, my favorite loop trail used to take me about 38 minutes on the old bike (record was 37) today I did it in 32.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Vehor vivo est!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I wish I had seen this thread friday. I went and picked up an XR 200 yesterday at wal vegas.... I know I know I should have gone to a LBS and seen about their used bikes first.

well seeing as I haven't riden the bike yet(it's been raining all day today), I wonder how difficult it would be to return...?

mtbr member
    Ah - the one great thing about Walmart - they will take it back. I have heard from someone that used to work at a Walmart Super-Center that they even took a half-eaten cake back after a party because the customer claimed it wasn't good!
    Vehor vivo est!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDiamond-1
    I hear everyone say "Do not buy a Wally-World MTB"!!

Come on guys, we all know that not everyone has the money to go out and spend it at the LBS on a better MTB. Granted if they waited long enough, they could find a good deal on a used or new entry level MTB, but some people do not have the money nor time. With the way the economy is today and so many jobless or very tight budget people/parents, it can be down right impossible for some to do this. I know, because I live on a tight budget even though I own my own business, so I can totally relate. I have a Wally-World MTB in my collection, that my wife rides presently. I bought a Mongoose Blackcomb in 2003 when they first started to show on the market just because I like the design of it. Since then I have modified the brakes, fork, rear shock, stem, headset, bars, saddle, & seat post and I have given it a real sweet beating including hucking 7' drops. Now, I would not recommend that with stock parts, but i have seen it done before. BTW, the drive train including the cranks are still original stock, along with the V-brake levers. Here is a pic the Blackcomb as of late last year with my wife riding it at our local FR trail.

I hope you have a darn good health insurance plan !

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackDiamond-1
    I hear everyone say "Do not buy a Wally-World MTB"!!

Come on guys, we all know that not everyone has the money to go out and spend it at the LBS on a better MTB. Granted if they waited long enough, they could find a good deal on a used or new entry level MTB, but some people do not have the money nor time. With the way the economy is today and so many jobless or very tight budget people/parents, it can be down right impossible for some to do this. I know, because I live on a tight budget even though I own my own business, so I can totally relate. I have a Wally-World MTB in my collection, that my wife rides presently. I bought a Mongoose Blackcomb in 2003 when they first started to show on the market just because I like the design of it. Since then I have modified the brakes, fork, rear shock, stem, headset, bars, saddle, & seat post and I have given it a real sweet beating including hucking 7' drops. Now, I would not recommend that with stock parts, but i have seen it done before. BTW, the drive train including the cranks are still original stock, along with the V-brake levers. Here is a pic the Blackcomb as of late last year with my wife riding it at our local FR trail.
    Out of curiousity, what rear shock did you find to fit this bike? I have this bike as my now back-up bike and I'm thinking of doing a couple little upgrades to it. It's been a great bike. I've got well over 1,000 miles on it so far (maybe close to 2,000?) with never so much as a flat tire, and I'm not exactly gentle on it. My new bike I just paid $2,000 for was broken right out of the box. Been waiting 2 months to have it fixed under warranty, and still haven't gotten to ride it, so I might as well show a little love to the Mongoose while I wait.. Thanks...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

derailer

hello im new to riding and need a little help.
    Im buying a used Mongoose xr200 for just $75 and the guy says i just need to get a derailer and new chain....I have no clue what derailer i would need to get or if its a specific type ofr that bike. Same goes for the chain...i know its not the greatest bike but i plan on using it for a a few month and see if biking is something i can enjoy and then spend more on a good bike. Thanks for reading and helping

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by calito519
    Im buying a used Mongoose xr200 for just $75...i know its not the greatest bike but i plan on using it for a a few month and see if biking is something i can enjoy and then spend more on a good bike.
    Don't. Pedaling that thing around is going to make you hate biking. It's like someone buying a Trabant to see if they like driving. I'd recommend buying a used hardtail to see if you like it. You'll get a lot more bike for your money, and it'll just work a lot better.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    We don't know much about you. But, you should go to a good bikeshop (not Wal-Mart or Target) and then get on craigslist and look for one of those brands as cheap as you can find it. I got a good specialized for $100 that way. By the time you buy a derailleur and a chain you'll have $100 invested in Junk. An old quality bike is better than any bike sold at a national retailer. Mongoose was good A LONG TIME AGO. Now it is garbage. If you feel you must have it, take a look at pricepoint.com. To put things into perspective for you, a good derailleur costs over $75.

Singletrack Slayer
    Mongoose was good A LONG TIME AGO. Now it is garbage. If you feel you must have it, take a look at pricepoint.com..

Mongoose was good a long time ago? Yes, Are they still good today? YES! Walmart crap is Exactly what it's called, Walmart Crap! Go to The mongoose website and see what you've been missing out on if you want to see some real mongoose bikes....

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastshot
    Mongoose was good a long time ago? Yes, Are they still good today? YES! Walmart crap is Exactly what it's called, Walmart Crap! Go to The mongoose website and see what you've been missing out on if you want to see some real mongoose bikes....
    Mongoose isn't a top of the line bike.

While this bike is certainly a nice bike: $3299.00

http://www.mongoose.com/usa/usaeng/m...-Teocali-Super

This is a top of the line bike: $9300.00

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...cname=Mountain

Singletrack Slayer
    Mongoose isn't a top of the line bike.
    While this bike is certainly a nice bike: $3299.00
    This is a top of the line bike: $9300.00
    uh, Ok?
    If you can point somewhere in my post where I stated Mongoose is "top of the line" then call me hypocritical. I simply replied to your comment on how Mongoose is crap, and said how it was false. If you are trying to imply that the Teocali is somehow related to those "Bikes" (if you can call them that) at Walmart, then you are completely misinformed. Just because they are not "Top of the line" and don't carry a $9,000 price tag(which often times is just Brand Markup, but thats a completely different argument I will NOT be getting into ) Does Not make them bad!

To sum it up,
    -Mongoose is still a great brand
    -Specialized makes bikes similarly spec'd and priced to mongoose, but also has "Top of the line" bikes.
    -$200 "walgoose" bikes are not part of the Mongoose brand...

Thats all I have to say about that...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastshot
    uh, Ok?
    If you can point somewhere in my post where I stated Mongoose is "top of the line" then call me hypocritical. I simply replied to your comment on how Mongoose is crap, and said how it was false. If you are trying to imply that the Teocali is somehow related to those "Bikes" (if you can call them that) at Walmart, then you are completely misinformed. Just because they are not "Top of the line" and don't carry a $9,000 price tag(which often times is just Brand Markup, but thats a completely different argument I will NOT be getting into ) Does Not make them bad!

To sum it up,
    -Mongoose is still a great brand
    -Specialized makes bikes similarly spec'd and priced to mongoose, but also has "Top of the line" bikes.
    -$200 "walgoose" bikes are not part of the Mongoose brand...

Thats all I have to say about that...
    Purely opinion based here... but I was trying to be tactful with my last post. I'll try to be a little more clear. I think that Mongoose was a good product when I was 15 and riding BMX bikes (15 years ago). Now I ride S-Works and I can assure it's not brand markup. It is however, amazing. In sum, Mongoose is crap. I am now unsubscribing from this thread. Goodbye.

Singletrack Slayer
    Purely opinion based here... but I was trying to be tactful with my last post. I'll try to be a little more clear. I think that Mongoose was a good product when I was 15 and riding BMX bikes (15 years ago). Now I ride S-Works and I can assure it's not brand markup. It is however, amazing. In sum, Mongoose is crap. I am now unsubscribing from this thread. Goodbye.
    Everybody is entitled to an opinion, just some people are more open minded than others

mtbr member

If you ride a s-works...... why are you in the mongoose forum talking about 9000 dollar bikes?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by calito519
    hello im new to riding and need a little help.
    Im buying a used Mongoose xr200 for just $75 and the guy says i just need to get a derailer and new chain....I have no clue what derailer i would need to get or if its a specific type ofr that bike. Same goes for the chain...i know its not the greatest bike but i plan on using it for a a few month and see if biking is something i can enjoy and then spend more on a good bike. Thanks for reading and helping
    I'll try to answer the actual question if your still interested, I believe those used a Shimano Tourney rear derailer. If your bike looks like the one in this thread. You should be able to pick one up for not alot of money $11.56 at amazon as far the chain I am assuming any shimano 7 speed compatible chain will work. Chain Link

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    hey kid post in your areas freecycle and see what available, i use the ride a walgoos xr250
    decided id be happier with a hard tail, went to freecycle posted that i was looking for rigid frame, ended up with a complete giant boulder for free only thing was i had to drive 120 miles round trip to get it, obtw i also got the xr250 off of freecycle as well, you'll never know til you ask

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Doral company owns mongoose, gt, connadale, and swhinn. Some where on that walmart goose is gonna say pacific cycles; this means it's junk! Go pick up used local hard tail at lbs. for around $100.
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted1
    Doral company owns mongoose, gt, connadale, and swhinn. Some where on that walmart goose is gonna say pacific cycles; this means it's junk! Go pick up used local hard tail at lbs. for around $100.
    Actually, Doral owns pacific cycles as well.
    http://www.pacific-cycle.com/our-story

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have had my Mongoose xr200 for several years now and cant complain. U used to weigh around 220 and road a good bit and am under 200 now. I have had no problems with anything breaking. I have rode some fairly rough horse trails in western NC that are very rocky and while not always smooth I have not had any problems with the bike at all. It is somewhat heavy even with an aluminum body. I was actually doing some looking as far as upgrading when I came across this forum. Sorry. Not everybody has 500+ or 1000+ to put into a mtn bike.

I've had this bike probably 5-8 yrs now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    fitchhollister you seem to be a duche. from your username it sounds like you are living off of daddys money anyway.

mtbr member
    bikes i have bought under 100 dollars...

2009 giant rincon $75

2002 trek 4500 $90

2003 gary fisher advance $100

2003 specialized hardrock cr-mo $50

buy used at that price range for sure.

oh ya, 2006 boulder se giant $60

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yeah I need to do some checking at some shops. I wouldnt mind finding something lighter for sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

XR-200 Issue

I am a new member and I am not trying to steal this thread. However, I cannot start a new thread until I have at least 5 posts. I bought a Mongoose XR-200 in 2010. I have only been on about a dozen bike rides since the purchase. When I was riding a few days ago, the rear tire started rubbing against the frame after I breaked hard. When I got home I took of the rear wheel and noticed the rear axle was bent. I took apart the rear axle and noticed the cone nut that covers the bearings was bent as well. When it is assembled the wheel spins rough. I am in search of what axle I need and the type of cone nut that covers the bearing as well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Good job! mongoose XR-200

I've had my mongoose XR-200 since the beginning of 2008, I ride rocky and rough trails about four times weekly excluding winters and this bike has held up pretty well, although my derailleur broke about a week ago but this was an easy cheap fix only like 15 dollars. This bike is considerably heavy and yeah the disc brake doesn't stop quite as well as I'd like it to, but I think the suspension works great and the large 2.35'' tires are a plus. For the money you are getting a great bike so long as you take care of it and some minor upkeep and preventative maintenance and this bike will do excellent on all terrain!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Is a mongoose 2006 pro wing elite bike any good? I would make a thread about it but I can't yet.BTW where is this so called sticker that says it shouldnt be ridden off road? I just got my pro wing elite and there isnt anything on the bike or in the manual saying it shouldnt be ridden off road.

Edit: found the sticker it says it shouldnt be used for jumps down hill or aggressive offroad how ever it doesn't say it shouldn't be used for off road. Most beginners aren't going to go crazy off roading in the beginning so simple trails would be good for the bikes but to say no off road at is just not true.

I've heard Wal-Mart bikes be compared to honda's and the high end bikes called ferrari thats a pretty good analysis but everyone can't afford a ferrari (high end bike) telling me I should throw down 2000 dollars or more for a bike is just crazy talk because there's no way I could do that even with saving it would take a long time. There is nothing wrong with owning a honda ( low end bike) if you are just going to commute every day or just take a casual ride around the neighborhood I think that's where these bikes fit in the casual ride round the block or so. A Wal-Mart bike will hold up to those casual rides just fine.
    Last edited by darthlaidher; 09-01-2011 at 06:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That analogy is a little off. Instead of Honda, think Yugo.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    That analogy is a little off. Instead of Honda, think Yugo.
    lol whatever.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Braking

Quote Originally Posted by evilimprdr View Post
    if your braking with your rear it will cause your suspention not to operate right because your rear wheel isn't spinning lossing traction. Best thing to remember is that your wheels are like gyro's, if there spinning fast there help you stay upright.
    You should never lock up either of you wheels if you are trying to stop going downhill. Then you lose control locking up tires. And its safer to brake (not lock up) with the back tire in case the front brake catches and u and the bike goes over the tire and headfirst into the ground. If your wheel does happen to lose traction, let off the brake to try to regain traction. And no matter what wheel you brake with, your body mass and the bikes frame will still want to go the speed it was going. Braking causes your mass to shift forward on the bike, relieving the rear suspension of the weight that was once on it. Causing your mass to shift forward too much can relieve too much weight off the back tire and lessen your braking ability. Its simple physics. Now if you are on flat ground or uphill, the front brake would be the best option because you mass is then exerted onto the front tire, thus more traction and braking ability. NEVER use front brake going down hill. If you dont believe me, try it, go down a steep hill fast and hit your front brake. If you dont break your neck and kill yourself, ill visit you in the hospital. (that was sarcasm by the way... really dont do that)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by THeJoseph123 View Post
    NEVER use front brake going down hill.
    That wrong, and is some really bad advice you're giving. On a downhill you're already carrying more weight on the front, and the rear will lock up even more easily. The trick is to brake with your front, while shifting your weight back (if needed). Good luck stopping on a downhill without using your front brake. The general rule is your front brake for stopping, your rear brake for control.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

re

Quote Originally Posted by bad mechanic View Post
    That wrong, and is some really bad advice you're giving. On a downhill you're already carrying more weight on the front, and the rear will lock up even more easily. The trick is to brake with your front, while shifting your weight back (if needed). Good luck stopping on a downhill without using your front brake. The general rule is your front brake for stopping, your rear brake for control.
    truth is, it all depends on the angle at which you are going down. I dont go on really steep hills cuz there arent any i can access. Can we agree on that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have owned a Mongoose XR200 for about 2 years, it feels great on the road but the rear suspension is too stiff for me. No problems with it tho... Off-road, It does great with only a few problems.
    -Tires have warped and are no longer true (area of where i live can contribute to that)
    -Tires are dead, wont even hold air (can be from the many thorn bushes)
    -Chain Slips, and has came off many times but never got stuck, was able to put back on while still riding
    -Handle bars sliding off
    -Paint wearing off on front shocks from holes
    -Tires wear off fast on road
    -Rear suspension squeaks

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by THeJoseph123 View Post
    truth is, it all depends on the angle at which you are going down. I dont go on really steep hills cuz there arent any i can access. Can we agree on that?
    No. The steeper the hill gets, the more ineffective your rear brake is, and the more important your front brake is. The answer isn't to avoid the front brake, but rather proper technique.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by darthlaidher View Post
    Is a mongoose 2006 pro wing elite bike any good? I would make a thread about it but I can't yet.BTW where is this so called sticker that says it shouldnt be ridden off road? I just got my pro wing elite and there isnt anything on the bike or in the manual saying it shouldnt be ridden off road.

Edit: found the sticker it says it shouldnt be used for jumps down hill or aggressive offroad how ever it doesn't say it shouldn't be used for off road. Most beginners aren't going to go crazy off roading in the beginning so simple trails would be good for the bikes but to say no off road at is just not true.

I've heard Wal-Mart bikes be compared to honda's and the high end bikes called ferrari thats a pretty good analysis but everyone can't afford a ferrari (high end bike) telling me I should throw down 2000 dollars or more for a bike is just crazy talk because there's no way I could do that even with saving it would take a long time. There is nothing wrong with owning a honda ( low end bike) if you are just going to commute every day or just take a casual ride around the neighborhood I think that's where these bikes fit in the casual ride round the block or so. A Wal-Mart bike will hold up to those casual rides just fine.
    I own a Wing Comp which uses the same frame but different components. The frame, albeit heavy, will take the abuse. I have had the bike since 2003 and and all that remains of the original components is the headset, I broke or wore out everything else but the frame is still fine, no dents or cracks in it. FYI..my woners manuals for my Specialized Hardrock and Enduro also said not to use offroad, I think it's just a warranty or safety disclaimer so the wont get sued if you hurt yourself.

Members who have read this thread: 0