Mongoose Teocali,what size is your rear tire?- Mtbr.com
    STINKY TOFU

Mongoose Teocali,what size is your rear tire?

Wondering about what size rear tire you guys ar running or more importantly whats the largest you can run in the back. I took my comp for out on the trail for the first time last weekend and I had a blast but my rear was a bit squirly a few times on the fast bits. I tried shifting my weight back to get some weight down on the rear. The suspension rode the bumps really nice but it just felt like it needed a little more bite.The front held its line real good, so I'm wondering if I could use to bump up the the rear to a 2.25.

FYI: I was on packed trails with some loose areas and a bit of gravel too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been running 2.35 for the rear without any problems.

Jun 2006
    The stock size on my Teocali is 2.35 front and 2.10 rear both with Nevegal stick-e tyres.

Of course a bigger tyre will lesten the chance of pinch flats but i have had none ( running tyre at 40psi) in a year of Red routes, so that may be a moot point.

Personally, i prefer the idea of the back end breaking out 1st. Front end slides are more than slightly unsettling, where as the back end may break away but nearly always comes back with the minimum of drama.

Tyre type is likely to have more of a bearing on grip and feel than a slight increase in width. The Nevegals do everything i need of them and the rear is about to be replaced with another Nevegal simply due to wear.

Cheers

Stuart

STINKY TOFU
    you make a good point about the back end coming back with no dramas. I'm not very experienced but even I was able to get it back in line with minimal effort. But knowing I can move up in tire size is great, thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    If you have the original rims: No problems to use 2,4" Schwalbe Big Bettys (about the fatest 2,4" around with its 60mm)

Since I changed to Halo Tornado rims the BB got too fat so I put on a 2,35" Fat Albert that fitted nicely at the rear. Due to its weak sidewalls I will probably order a Kenda nevegal Stick-E 2,3" in the rear later on.

Members who have read this thread: 0