Mongoose Canaan- Mtbr.com

Thread: Mongoose Canaan

mtbr member

Mongoose Canaan

Anybody seen, touched, ridden, heard anything more about this bike? It looks pretty sweet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Canaan Elite

Sorry to dredge up this old thread but I'm surprised there's not more talk about this bike. So far I'm impressed, rides great, smooth suspension, and very stable at speed. Also, the bike is very well spec'd for the money. I posted some pics in the Mongoose sticky thread at the top of the page if anyone's interested.

Aug 2007
    I have one and love it! I have had it for 3 months and am very happy. I got mine from Performance on sale for 1599. Then caught a tax free sale, and got it down to 1425. On top of that it was spec'd with the RP3 on the website, but came with an RP2. I made a few phone calls, and rubbed elbows with the store mgr and got a FREE upgrade to the RP23. SUH-Weet!!!

I replaced the candy bros crap pedals with shimano SPD's... but other than that it's stock...

BD

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This bike is currently going for $1529.97 at performance after the 15% discount. If you sign up for a Performance membership, you get 10% to spend on gear and what not.

This bike has caught my eye. The specs look nice and it feels light (27-28lbs).

You can easily spend $1000 more on a bike to just peal off 1-2lbs.

I just want to know what sized tired you can fit on these. Stock at 26x2.0. I would like to go wider if possible.

Aug 2007
    I am not sure, but probably at least 2.3... I am running a 2.1 up front and it still has lots of room left...

BD

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BeeDee
    I am not sure, but probably at least 2.3... I am running a 2.1 up front and it still has lots of room left...

BD
    BTW do you feel much pedal bob with the bike?

Aug 2007
    not much, and ZERO with the ProPedal turned on... I have the RP23 set to 2 when the propedal is ON.. and I can hammer out of the saddle no problemo... I have a Medium size frame and the bike weighs around 26...

BD

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    What are your thoughts of the wheels? MTB reviews don't have much good to say about the rim, the wheelset is split down the middle. likely favoring the more negative side.

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Rim/product_86100.shtml
    http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Wheelset...t_125977.shtml

I'd be using this bike for mainly single track. A few small jumps here and there. Both downhill and up.

Aug 2007
    Well I managed to TACO the front wheel on a DH run... but that was because a newbie in our group stopped at the bottom of a descent... I grabbed the front brake (DOH!) and the front tire washed out as I switched lines to pass him... when I got up I dusted myself off but the rim was TOAST... I replaced the wheel with something beefier because it was cheap.. and I swapped out the kenda nevegal for a Mythos XC which I like MUCH better.....
    The rear wheel has held up fine.. about 100 miles so far... nothing huge, a couple of 2-3 ft drops at 15-20mph... I am very happy with the bike and would recommend you go test ride one at Performance or other LBS..

BD

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Don't you mean Kenda Karma? That is what comes stock. If my bike comes with them I plan on swapping them out ASAP with some Kenda Nevegals.

Aug 2007
    mine came with Kenda Karma Stik-E's that have Nevegal on the side of the tire.. I ran the front at multiple air pressures and never got the confidence I was looking for... The rear holds ok on climbs and corners alright... but I ride in a lot of loose pack over hard surfaces... your mileage may vary...

BD

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    After 4 months I'm still very happy with my Canaan Elite. The bike handles great and is stable on descents. I attribute these traits to the shock and linkage weight being low in the frame and the slacker than typical head angle. I changed to a shorter 100mm stem and a conventional seatpost to run my favorite saddle. Suspension is great, the rear freedrive is plush and can firmed up for climbing with a flick of the RP2 propedal switch. I also like the fact that I've never seen another one on the trail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    This is a XC bike, but I'm sure you guys take it off a few jumps and down hills at blazing speeds. How does this XC handle these tasks?

Also how is it for slow descents down single track? Does the bike feel good or do you feel like you're going to fall over the front of the handle bars way too easily?

Aug 2007
    On a few high speed descents I have lowered the seat.... but generally I think the bike handles pretty well.. the front end doesn't wander on slow technical climbs, and I think it handles slow technical stuff even better.. I haven't caught more than 2 feet of air... it handled that fine.. I wouldn't take it on any 5-6 foot drops.. well not at my weight..lol I have bombed down some rough single track at 30 mph and it soaked up the bumps just fine... Every time I ride it, I get more confident in the suspension and handling...

BD

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Its a lightweight bike. Big air and you are asking for trouble. See the catastrophic failure posted in another thread.

A $1500 26 lb 4" bike is not meant for hucking or burly riding. Duh.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Mine came with 2.0 IRC Mythos II tires. Useless. I did a 45 km back country ride yesterday and I am missing a lot of skin thanks to front wheel wash out.

Nothing like a 50km washout on sharp rocks.

The Canaan was fantastic though. I have about 50 hours on it so far and it is great.

I will be getting some 2.3 Nevegals and post back. Mud may be a problem

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Hello,

What is a weight of frame Mongoose Canaan Team with fox rp23?

Marcin_Goluch

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just bought a Canaan Team frame for $500,not bad considering the shock goes for $380 and the headset around $40.Can't wait to get it and build it up!

Not sure how much it weights,but it can't be too much since the Elite weights in at just over 26lbs.

all your base
    thread RESURECTION!
    just excited to join your ranks.
    Ordered up a brand spankin new '08 elite frame for $399 shipped! including a seatpost, front mech, and headset; and the rp2 of course. This will be my hack race bike for next year, unbelievable price.

btw, this thread has no pics. I'll try to get something up when she arrives.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've got a 2008 Canaan Comp that I've ridden for a little over a year (about 2500 miles) and I like it very much. Although it's categorized as an xc bike, I've ridden most of what San Diego has to offer without any problems. I don't huck, but it handles everything else well, including Noble Canyon. Except for the pedals, grips, and the tires (switched to Nevegals after I wore out the Small Block 8's), the bike is still completely stock.

Old & Slow
    Another thread bump.

I have had the 09 Canaan Elite for about a month now and love it. I test rode both the GF HiFi Deluxe and the Giant Trance 3 and picked the Mongoose. I had done my homework prior to buying and was aware of potential frame problems, but the ride, fit, and price was perfect for my style of riding and my budget. Besides the guy at Performance guaranteed I could return it if I ever encountered a problem. One question for those who have the older models of this bike. My seatube has a small hole drilled into it and a sticker added with a warning that the seatpost must be visible thru it. Did the prior models have this warning?

thanks

all your base
    My 2008 does not have this warning, sounds like good idea though. Still working on mine, (there will be pics eventually), but have gotten a few rides in on it. Traction while climbing rough terrain is really impressive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SanDiegoDirt
    Another thread bump.

Besides the guy at Performance guaranteed I could return it if I ever encountered a problem.
    Did you get that in writing? I'm only half-joking, because the first Canaan frame I had developed a hairline crack on one of the shock mounts within a month of purchase.

Mongoose kept promising a replacement frame and the date slipped at least 3 times before I made a big enough stink that Performance (rather than the manufacturer) gave me a replacement frame.

If it's any consolation, I've had the second frame for more than a year and haven't had any problems with it

Old & Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Canaan
    Did you get that in writing? I'm only half-joking, because the first Canaan frame I had developed a hairline crack on one of the shock mounts within a month of purchase.

Mongoose kept promising a replacement frame and the date slipped at least 3 times before I made a big enough stink that Performance (rather than the manufacturer) gave me a replacement frame.

If it's any consolation, I've had the second frame for more than a year and haven't had any problems with it
    I hear you. But I made a pretty strong point about the potential issues and how it could influence my purchase. Surprisingly, he acknowledged it, and that's when he told me not to worry about returning it. Hopefully it won't come to that. Sure like the bike though.

Members who have read this thread: 0