durability of double black diamond- Mtbr.com

Sep 2006

durability of double black diamond

I need a strait answer with respect to the durability of the double black diamond frame. I realize that it is advertised as a bike that can really take abuse, but I want to know if anyone has put real time and hucks on the frame. I am like inches from buying one, but I ride hard and big so I would really appreciate some feedback, thanks.

mtbr member
    Do you mean the Triple Triangle (Hellenic) frame? The design that GT uses on many of their bikes?

Sep 2006
    No, i mean the mongoose double black diamond.

Trying a little
    if you want a strait answer maybe you should ask Kyle Strait

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

Oct 2004
    Kyle? I thought he rode for specialized.

Oct 2004
    Never mind. I barely got the Strait joke. HA

Sep 2006
    strait...LOL wow you are a funny one. but seriously, anyone have some good input about this issue, it would be appreciated.

Trying a little
    go to fontana and ask EC. he'll be there tomorrow.

I never apologize. I'm sorry, but that's just the way I am.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    hey gline---i just posted a "review" of my 07 BD3---get it...the bike is burly, light and can handle abuse...i use mine for shuttle runs that do require climbing but once at the top its straight DH runs...i have had the bike for around 3 mths and the largest drop i have taken yet this summer is around 6 feet with tranny....maybe 4 or so to flat...the bike rocks and its light as hell...the DHX 4.0 Air is awesome....i dont care what others say about Air shocks...i doubt they have ever rode one before....get it and enjoy the thing pins...

Dec 2007
    They can take the abuse of the shed drop in les Gets!!!

Spreadin the love...
    Hey man, I've got an 07 and seriously love it...and I'm a bike whore. Atleast two new bikes a year, of completely different designs and ride styles. Actually, I go through like 4 a year cuz I'll swap out my hardtails, too... but anyway...
    The ONLY problem with the 07s and under are the main pivot bolts. Both are of a two piece design and don't last long. KoKo, I'm willing to bet that if you pull yours out they'll look like this:

These are the two bolts that actually go through the frame and it's usually only the one on top, the only one that actually connects the swingarm.
    HOWEVER, the 08s deleted this issue and apparently sell the hardware kit to upgrade the older models. I'm working on it, but no one's answering the phone. I'll put a post up once I get some part numbers and prices.
    Other than that... GET THE BIKE. You'll love it.
    Last edited by thrillseeker; 12-25-2007 at 12:53 AM.

mtbr "member"

Bike whores unite!

Quote Originally Posted by thrillseeker
    Hey man, I've got an 07 and seriously love it...and I'm a bike whore. Atleast two new bikes a year, of completely different designs and ride styles. Actually, I go through like 4 a year cuz I'll swap out my hardtails, too... but anyway...
    The ONLY problem with the 07s and under are the main pivot bolts. Both are of a two piece design and don't last long. KoKo, I'm willing to bet that if you pull yours out they'll look like this:

These are the two bolts that actually go through the frame and it's usually only the one on top, the only one that actually connects the swingarm.
    HOWEVER, the 08s deleted this issue and apparently sell the hardware kit to upgrade the older models. I'm working on it, but no one's answering the phone. I'll put a post up once I get some part numbers and prices.
    Other than that... GET THE BIKE. You'll love it.

Hello, my name is REEK and I'm a bike whore.

I go about 1 bike a year. Just gotta learn to sell one, when I buy one because I'm running out of room.

Definitely keep us updated. Have the first year BD bike (I think 05). hasn't been much trouble even after riding Plattekill and Diablo as well as Northstar. But now I'm afraid to pull the main bolt... May be upgrading the pivots.. or maybe it's new 08 BD time....

REEK

Spreadin the love...
    I'd say you'd be happy either way. I actually like the looks of the 05s/06s a little better than the 07s/08s.

Man...I've been waiting for the damn hardware stores to open so I can come up with a replacement bolt for my BD3...can't ride, got bored... stripped and polished my frame!

Check the "post your mongoose pics" or whatever thread for more pics. Had some fully custom decals made up as well!

SS FR HT
    buy it, i love mine, frames a tank. it takes a beating, i took mine off a 28 foot step down, held up like it was a $5000 bike. Best bike i have owned. go for it, oh and the problem the 07's have was fixed in the 08's...if you can find one, the larges are sold out at most places, same thing with the mediums. bike looks great and feels great to
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Formerbmx37
    so if a put a card in my spokes could i trick people in to thinking my bike is good

Spreadin the love...
    Hell, even DropNZone.com is now a Mongoose dealer. Talk to Allen, That man will pull one out of his butt!

And Kitsap...you can't say stuff like "28 foot stepdown" and not show pics, beeotch! Post em up!

What?
    Any word on where to get the pivot rebuild kits? For 06 BD

Members who have read this thread: 0