Confused about Mongoose brand- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Confused about Mongoose brand

Growing up in the 80s, every guy wanted either a GT Performer or Mongoose "stunt bike," as they were called. Man, I wanted the GT with the swanky bright green (flourescent colors were the beez knees back then) and white mags! Anyway, my first real (as in bling bling) mt. bike was a GT RTS-3 in candy apple purple; that was in the late 90s and even then GT still had a rep and you were cool if you had a GT bike (saw lots on the trail). I didn't see many Mongoose bikes, but they still had a rep and were considered a good brand. Then fast forward a bit, Mongoose bikes were being sold at dept. stores with crappy, generic parts. Never liked their mt. bikes but always esteemed them for the stunt bikes they made back then, and I guess that's where my view of them comes from. Was Mongoose ever deemed a top brand in the mt. bike industry? I'm looking at a Jenson cat. and I'm a bit surprised to see some good bikes they have, Black Diamond and Teocali, nothing like the dept. stuff. I mean they look cool, pretty blingy in looks and price.

achiever
    Dude, my Teo Elite is the schnitt! It's spec'd pretty good and I ride everything on it. Commute 12miles a day 4 or 5 times a week (1/2 on, 1/2 offroad), loves trails and have ridden lift accessed terrain. I can't see riding anything else for quite sometime.

Red

achiever
    Darn double post!

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Yes Mongoose was a very good brand in the early 90s... they led the way in having truly good riding full suspension XC bikes by having the Mongoose Amplifiers.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

Takw/agranofsalt
    Jan 2005
    Mongoose, GT, Schwinn, etc.. all have gone through tough times. Things are a lot different than they were 15 years ago, 10 years ago, 5 years ago, ....etc. Mongoose has some sweet frames this year, backed by Eric Carter. GT and Schwinn are making comebacks too. All these companies have changed hands so many times you really just have to take them at face value and forget about their past good/bad reputations.

Built4Speed
    Oh yeah,Mongoose had some good mountain bikes back in the day. I had a IBOC Pro and an IBOC Team. John Tomac raced them too. But I've gotten a little confused about Mongoose lately.I hear people deride them as crap department store bikes yet mountain bike magazines praise them too. Like what Khemical says, take them at face value.
    "Faster and faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death."

mtbr member
    From what I've understood Mongoose got into some money troubles a while back. Somehow Wal-mart got involved with them & they started being sold by Wally world but they sold a much cheaper version of what you can buy at a real bike shop. Everything from the frames to the shocks were some strange off brand. Alot of people felt that Mongoose sold out to the man. You can still buy a Mongoose at your LBS but they don't have alot of different model's to choose from. Like others have said here they are trying to make a comeback. I too rode a Mongoose back in my BMX days it was chrome moly with blue mag wheels. I also remember if you had a Redline BMX you were the envy of everyone, I guess that's one reason why I bought a Monocog!
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
    ~Kierkegaard

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Mongoose now has two lines of bikes. The ones you see at department stores are the Mongoose line. At real bike shops you will see Mongoose Pro bikes. These are also the ones you see praised in the mags. I believe Schwinn does the same with their Schwinn and Schwinn Select lines.

i also unicycle
    Jan 2007
    hank is correct. also, GT, mongoose, and schwinn are all owned by pacific cycles.
    mtbr says you should know: i work in a bike shop.
    bikes & beers (on my blog) http://idontrideenough.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    GT is one brand I have not seen in Wal-Mart but I have seen Mongoose & Schwinn. Thats not say to say they dont sell them.
    "People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."
    ~Kierkegaard

Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
    Walmart is where the real profit is anyways. There's more money in selling a million bikes at $10 profit per bike than 10,000 bikes at $100 profit. That's why Mongoose has been able to keep producing high end bikes... the department store line subsidizes the operation of the LBS line.
    I don't post to generate business for myself or make like I'm better than sliced bread

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    GT is still sold by real bike shops only. All three are still quality bikes (from the lbs). The Mongoose Teocali has caught my eye. For road Schwinn has some great looking bikes at a good price.

mtbr member
    I do have to admit I don't see alot of GT dealer's these days I was looking into getting one of thire city bikes but no one around here carries GT
    ~Kierkegaard

I need a new name
    Jun 2004
    Yeah, GT's aren't very popular these days. I've been searching for a vintage Zascar or Xizang but even a new Zascar would be nice.

mtbr member
    It seems the only way to get a new GT is offline these days. Which I believe in supporting your LBS but what else are you to do if they don't carry what you want?

Even more sad is that if you buy offline no bike shop will help with keeping it up unless you pay them some money. Most bike shops will give you free maintance when you buy one from them. Myself being on a tight budget with gas being so high it's my only choice.
    ~Kierkegaard

mtbr member
    just like many other brand names you will find that they have a line that is sold in bike shops and catalogs, that are built with quality parts and put together by hand. then they will also have there name on a cheap frame with no name crap compnents that are sold at walmart and target. the reason they do this is so they can market there name to walmart shoppers. all I can say is thank god for trek, cannondale, and many others that didnt sell out to the giant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Rider
    It seems the only way to get a new GT is offline these days. Which I believe in supporting your LBS but what else are you to do if they don't carry what you want?

Even more sad is that if you buy offline no bike shop will help with keeping it up unless you pay them some money. Most bike shops will give you free maintance when you buy one from them. Myself being on a tight budget with gas being so high it's my only choice.
    Performance Bike while not a true LBS but they do have some retail stores still sells GT bikes and their i-Drive bikes are well made.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by hillbilly_hank
    GT is still sold by real bike shops only.
    I wish you were right, but you're not. In fact the number one GT dealer in my state (SC) recently quit selling them due to them being sold in department/sporting goods stores. I personally see them for sale all the time in department/sporting goods stores as well as Diamond Back, Schwinn and Mongoose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    GT, Schwinn, and Mongoose are all a part of Pacific Cycle who deals with department stores. As others have said, there are typically two divisions of each case (high-end/ bike shop & low end/ department store).
    Ever been to Mountain Bike Tales Digital Magazine? Now if only the print rags would catch on!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    IMO, the new GTs look odd because of oversize tubing plus their trip triangle frames.. thin tubes look better with 3xtriangles.

All day long
    ...I too rode a Mongoose back in my BMX days it was chrome moly with blue mag wheels. I also remember if you had a Redline BMX you were the envy of everyone, I guess that's one reason why I bought a Monocog!
    Back in my BMX days (1984/5) I had a Redline 500b in white. I got it primarily because nobody else in town had one...it turns out that everyone wanted to ride it.

I'll admit I liked my friend's Mongoose frame which had that one piece looped rear triangle. Very cool.

Jul 2006
    If anyone reads DECLINE there is a great article in there about the history of GT bikes and everything that they went through. I'm not gonna go through the whole thing but basicaly they were the biggest thing to ever come along in cycling because of awsome product and superb marketing. All was well until one of the owners died in a tragic motorcycle acident. The company slowly went downhill until they filled bankruptcy and Pacific picked them up, cheap, in bankruptcy court.

I know the OP was about mongoose, but I'm sure they went through a similar decrease in sales over time and went into bankruptcy as well as schwinn. Pacific bikes is owned by a corporation that knows nothing about cycling and are just out to get the most money they can, like any company I guess. Luckily they allowed a small section of GT and Mongoose continue to operate and develop awsome high end bikes, as well as push the technology even farther.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Their new DH bike, the EC-D looks very promising. Very good spec for very good price

mtbr member
    We have a place here called Dicks sporting goods which here in the south is pretty big chain. They sale some decent bikes they are labled Jeep but IronHorse makes them.
    I looked them over pretty good & everything is up to spec. However it is wise to have a real bike shop look them over & make sure they are put toghether right.
    ~Kierkegaard

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    I have a 2000 model MongoosePro Ti frame that carried me through 4 years of intense xc racing and training. I love the bike!

It would still be my primary bike if I hadn't fallen in love with the 29'er - SS revolution

mtbr member
    Was at Jensons Ontario earlier this morning to get some tire stuff. I was impressed by the Mongoose bikes I saw there. The Otero looks nice in person. I have to say I'm a sucker for squarish tubing, though the Otero didn't exactly have square tubing all around. There was a nice white with light blue highlights Tecali that looked like it fit me. I think it's a girl model because when I went to look behind the seatpost tube I saw a logo or something suggesting that it's a girl bike. Looks nice still.

I live to bike
    Quote Originally Posted by engineere
    I wish you were right, but you're not. In fact the number one GT dealer in my state (SC) recently quit selling them due to them being sold in department/sporting goods stores. I personally see them for sale all the time in department/sporting goods stores as well as Diamond Back, Schwinn and Mongoose.
    GT is going back to being sold only in bike shops, so you should stop seeing them in the sporting goods stores.

I'm SUCH a square....
    lotta folks have most of the story here.

GT/Schwinn/Mongoose bought up by Pacific Cycle in '01 (bankruptcy judge approved the deal on 9/11 -- eerie!), they embarked on what they called 'dual-channel marketing', which cost them some long-loyal LBS outlets, who wouldn't support this; they didn't want to have to battle the perception of the great unwashed that the only diff between W-M and LBS is $$. WE know better, though, don't we??

Dorel Furniture from Canada bought Pacific a couple years ago, making them Schwinn's grandpa. LBS-level bikes still get raves, even though linited selection; W-M bikes have fallen off the cliff as far as QC is concerned. (trust me, i know -- i have to build them!)
    A bike is the only drug with no bad side effects....

bikeguy45
    Can get GTs online at halfords

mtbr member
    I ride an '05 'goose Teocali Super. I still get some weird looks from people that don't know Mongoose is making some quality mountain bikes now. I would by another in a heartbeat - just not from Wal-mart.

mtbr member
    GT is one brand I have not seen in Wal-Mart but I have seen Mongoose & Schwinn. Thats not say to say they dont sell them.
    Pacific has committed ti the LBS dealers who can buy container loads of GT's you won't see them in the department stores.

Members who have read this thread: 0