mtbr member

Calling all 2001 Schwinn Panther owners

Can any of you provide me with a high resolution picture of your replaceable derailleur hanger?

I'm trying to track one down!

Thanks

Calling all 2001 Schwinn Panther owners-img_2410.jpg
    Last edited by arcdesigns; 09-04-2017 at 09:24 PM.

VRC Illuminati
    We seldom see bikes newer than the mid-90's there. I'm not sure you'll get a lot of action on your post.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    This bike in pitcular and 2001 Schwinn Panther's in general have over 50 posts in this forum. We'll be fine.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    Wow! That's cool! This "Google" company is going to be big some day. I had no idea you could search for stuff on the net!

...but all kidding aside I have searched all three major derailleur sites and only a 2015 Panther come up on any of them. There are a dozen Vintage, Retro and Classic members that own or have owned a 2001 Panther so I'm sure I'll get that pic soon enough

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    This response is best when it comes up with an easy answer to the OP's question. If, as in this case, it really doesn't then some of the irony is lost.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I was looking at the cruiser thread and relooked at the OP's bike. It looks to me like the Panther never came with a derailleur so that might be why Google can't find one.

You need an old style hanger used on dropouts that weren't fitted for a derailleur. They were very common back in the day. A shop that has been around for awhile should have some laying around.

See the following link:

Derailleur Hangers Demystified - Red Clover Components
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sryanak View Post
    This response is best when it comes up with an easy answer to the OP's question. If, as in this case, it really doesn't then some of the irony is lost.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    I was looking at the cruiser thread and relooked at the OP's bike. It looks to me like the Panther never came with a derailleur so that might be why Google can't find one.

You need an old style hanger used on dropouts that weren't fitted for a derailleur. They were very common back in the day. A shop that has been around for awhile should have some laying around.

See the following link:

Derailleur Hangers Demystified - Red Clover Components
    They actually did, well at least the 2001! I was going to buy one from a guy that turned his 2001 Panther into and motorbike but he sold it first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by arcdesigns View Post
    They actually did, well at least the 2001! I was going to buy one from a guy that turned his 2001 Panther into and motorbike but he sold it first.
    OK, I stand corrected. I still bet an old style retrofit derailleur hanger like one from the earlier link will work.

Or this

SUNTOUR/SHIMANO TYPE VINTAGE 70's Rear Derailleur Hanger NOS! BX58 | eBay
    Latitude 61

It was a quick off the cuff, snarky response to the OP, brought on by his response to Eric.

Rumpfy is pretty much the longest standing member here, and he politely, (and now correctly, it seems) pointed out, that he'd not get much traction here with a bike that new.

Seems if the OP knew for sure there were dozens of members with them in their rafters, they'd have been showered with responses by now, or he'd have simply asked one of them since "he knows they're here".

I just don't dig on passive aggressive "ya'll just move along and be quiet, 'mkay?" responses to what's amounted to a true statement.....

Further, to not even post an image of the interface to perhaps aid in what has turned out to be a secondary waste of time (your responses about "hangered derailleurs") just further makes this a waste of bandwidth....

Perhaps I should have simply said so, so thanks for pointing that out.

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    It was a quick off the cuff, snarky response to the OP, brought on by his response to Eric.

Rumpfy is pretty much the longest standing member here, and he politely, (and now correctly, it seems) pointed out, that he'd not get much traction here with a bike that new.

Seems if the OP knew for sure there were dozens of members with them in their rafters, they'd have been showered with responses by now, or he'd have simply asked one of them since "he knows they're here".

I just don't dig on passive aggressive "ya'll just move along and be quiet, 'mkay?" responses to what's amounted to a true statement.....

Further, to not even post an image of the interface to perhaps aid in what has turned out to be a secondary waste of time (your responses about "hangered derailleurs") just further makes this a waste of bandwidth....

Maybe I was a bit harsh, sorry. I think some of his responses are not helping his cause. And pictures would be nice, it's tough when we have to google images to try and help answer a question.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member

Perhaps I brought some baggage with me.

I left this forum several years ago because anytime a post was started that was not "vintage" (at that time it was 1999 or older but now it's seems it's 1995) a few core members would call it out. As a result the were several debates about how "Retro" and "Classic" fit in. My position was and continues to be that unless you remove retro and classic from the title there can be no date set as when one can post as long as the bike or part is retro or classic. If a Schwinn USA aluminum cantlivier frame is not the poster child for retro it's at close to the top of the list.

I get that these same core members are exceedingly knowledgeable about Vintage Mountain Biking and I honestly am not trying to take anyting away from that. I have enjoyed many hours reading these threads about Vintage mountain bikes.

However, for me to be told off the cuff that a prime example of a retro bike, posted in the retro forum was in the wrong spot frankly inspired my reply.

Regarding the image. I'm not sure what the factory part looks like and that is why I posted. Searching Google and this forum all the pics are to low in resolution.

I will however post a pic I have in my gallery of the recess where the derailleur attaches on the Schwinn.

mtbr member
    Name:  IMG_2613.JPG
Views: 397
Size:  95.4 KB

mtbr member
    This is the best (although not very good) pic I could find on the net.

Calling all 2001 Schwinn Panther owners-img_2664.jpg

mtbr member
    Calling all 2001 Schwinn Panther owners-img_2692.jpg

Here is close to what I think the derailleur looks like based on the two pictures I posted above. Sorry for the hack drawing I did it in my phone.

Frankly, at that point (cause that's a goofy one for sure) I'd source pretty much any hanger, bring it to a machine shop and ask them to mod it for you in their spare time.

That's also a pretty weak method of attachment, as most will use the end of the QR as an additional support. That design would have it just kinda flapping in the breeze.

Unless you want schwanky, I'd likely just plug in one of the RD's with hanger attached, as sryanak suggested.

And thanks, pics help a lot.

As for the past, well, yeah, this is still pretty much an older bikes only, forum, and 2001 is barely old enough as it is...

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Frankly, at that point (cause that's a goofy one for sure) I'd source pretty much any hanger, bring it to a machine shop and ask them to mod it for you in their spare time.

That's also a pretty weak method of attachment, as most will use the end of the QR as an additional support. That design would have it just kinda flapping in the breeze.

Unless you want schwanky, I'd likely just plug in one of the RD's with hanger attached, as sryanak suggested.

And thanks, pics help a lot.

As for the past, well, yeah, this is still pretty much an older bikes only, forum, and 2001 is barely old enough as it is...
    Indeed, if it turns out that there is no additional attachment at the axle then the hanger doesn't seem like it would be worth having.

mtbr member
    Calling all 2001 Schwinn Panther owners-img_2892.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Being it's recessed in and short, it should be fine in the strength department. Most machine shops should be able to make it. Gonna be a tad pricey.
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

mtbr member
    Google image search:

chain tension with hanger

A couple of options there from Problem Solvers, DMR, etc. if you can't find the exact piece you need.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Reviving a old thread anyone have a seatpost size for this mines in the shop having a new fork and disc brake put on
    It was a chore finding a 1" threadless disc fork