Any other Mesa riders in the house?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Any other Mesa riders in the house?

So I was looking for a new bike to replace the old Pacific that I had been riding for almost 9 years, and didn't have a clue how to figure out the right size to look for (knew the old one was no where near sized right for me). Planned on hitting a LBS to figure out sizing, then hitting craigslist, or ebay to get a ride. Wife pushed me into an impulse buy (gotta love a woman who talks you into stuff instead of outa stuff) and I left with an 06 Mesa Disc. Just for good measure, got her one as well. Loved the way it felt, was impressed with the overall build, so figured what the hell. Since welding is part of my job description, I paid close attention to that part of the build quality and was impressed. Before I left, I had em swap out the trigger type shifters for grip shifts which I am used to, put on Ergo grips, wider bars, a computer, and some decent platform pedals, hers stayed stock.

Mine.

Hers.

Once I got home, I started doing a little looking around online to find out more about my impulse buy, I must admit I was feeling a bit of buyers remorse. Back in the good ole days when I rode some BMX and freestyle, no one would be caught dead on a Schwinn, and here I was an owner now. Combine that with the complete lack of information about them on line, the stories of their decreasing quality due to a Pacific buyout, talk of department store bikes, and I was thinking I had screwed up bigtime (MTBR doesn't have a review newer than like 2002 on a Mesa). I've since reconciled my feelings since I love the way this thing rides, and I'm still impressed with the build quality.

Am I the only out out there happy with this thing?

Also, I havn't found any other pics of red frames, LBS said it was a mid year thing, wasn't to hot about it before, but its growing on me. Good thing the Schwinn is painted on, if it was stickers I probably would have peeled em after the first week of searching for info online, now I dont mind em a bit.

Does Schwinn still have a race team or did that go away with the turn to department stores as distributors?

What do yall think will break first with a 160lb rider who doesn't know well enough to act his age (mid 30's and keep forgetting I'm not 16 anymore)?
    Metal has two purposes in this world:
    1. To be played loud.
    2. To be bent to my will.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Id say just ride and have fun, all entry level HT's are pretty similar anyways. The pro's are all on expensive full sus bikes, entry level hardtails are all made pretty much either in the same factories with different paint and logos.

So, really, the only bad thing about Schwinn is theres nothing bad about it but people think theres something wrong with it.

STINKY TOFU
    Think of it this way, you saved money by going entry level but you were able to buy 2 bikes so the wifey can join you. This is a great oppurtunity. I scaled back my original budget on my fully so I could pick up an entry level giant for my wife. The great thing about it is she's really getting into it and its great to be able to ride with your significant other. Hopefully your wife will like it enough that in a year or two you both upgrade to fully's. By then you'll have spent some time here and learned enough to know exactly what your looking for. Just make sure you have your riding position setup right. And get some padded shorts!
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have a 2000 or 2001 Mesa GS that I still ride. The frame is holding up great. Might be time to update some parts on my bike.

Aug 2007
    I bought an 06 Mesa GSD for my wife/son... and it is a decent entry level bike.. I have taken him with me to some local trails and he is having fun... soon as her schedule permits the wife will be out with me.. so for a little over 300 bucks, its a good value...

BD

mtbr member
    I ride a GSD too!

I love how it feels! The only problems I've had, I've caused myself, so this bike has been great to me. I felt the same buyers remorse you did too. But, I read some reviews online and in the end, the bike fit and rode well. So be remorseful about a fun, healthy activity? Glad to see other Mesas out there!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SSFreak
    I have a 2000 or 2001 Mesa GS that I still ride. The frame is holding up great. Might be time to update some parts on my bike.
    My 2001 GSX was my only bike up until a couple weeks ago when I finally made the leap to full squish. I've beat the tar out of my bike, and only had to replace the rear wheel, cassette, and chain. Pretty good for seven summers! I've changed the tires, pedals, and grips, all the rest is still stock down to the brake pads.

kwrangln - there's no reason for any buyers remorse. It sounds like you have a great bike for the way you're going to be using it. Schwinn gets bashed because they can't really compete on the higher-end bikes anymore. I mean, common, it's Schwinn, they've been making bikes for a long time and they're going to keep making bikes.

AKA; Jimmy Tango
    I have an 05 Mesa GSD. It is a long story, but I ended up buying another frame in ebay. Same exact frame, went from a 17" to a 21 ". I initially bought the bike so I could ride it around town(and screw around), and not ride my "expensive" bike into town. Well, the smaller frame made for poor commuting, I waited and found a better size for me to commute on. That is why that Rock SHox fork is on it. THe Suntour which came on the 17" would not fit into the longer head tube on the 21, thank goodness for having parts laying around. Anyways, I commute on a regular basis with this bike, I and I ride it hard, jumping steps, ledges, curbs, etc. This bike is the MOST reliable mode of transportation for me. Out of all my bikes(you can look at my profile and see), this bike has been solid. Everything is original on it except for the cables(shifters). I have even put knobbies on it to let friends have something decent to ride offroad. I am getting ready to put the 17" frame back together with original fork. I finally have enough parts laying around to make a spare SS. So if friends wonder what is so great about SS they can try my Mesa GSD. I love my GSD and would recomend it to anyone. By the way, I am 6' tall and weigh 225lbs. You won't have structural probs with that bike! Keep your chain clean and lubed, as well as your cables, and towell dry it after washing it, do NOT use car washs to clean your bikes, use a regular garden hose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm glad I'm not the only one around. As for the buyers remorse, thats long gone. This thing rides great everywhere I've taken it. Since I made the first post, I've swapped to some kenda K-rad tires since I spend too much time on pavement, kept the knobbies for trail days, and swapped the brakes for a set of BB7's. Where the ole piece of crap bike was transportation slightly above walking, I actually look foward to riding now.

Next upgrade is probably going to be a different set of forks, just because, and I'm going to see about fabricating a bash ring and finding a way to mount it to the cranks. Since the chainrings are not removable this is going to be a bit tough, but I'll come up with something, or replace the cranks. Still thinking about getting a second set of wheels so I dont have to swap tires all the time, we'll see what 08 brings. Cant wait for warmer weather to do some more riding.
    Metal has two purposes in this world:
    1. To be played loud.
    2. To be bent to my will.

mtbr member
    It's been a couple months since I've been out riding (too much work lately), but my Mesa and I had a good summer! Since this picture, I've put on a new fork, BB7s, crankset, and pedals. I wish it would warm up so I could get back out there. Or, buy warmer clothes and hit the trails anyways!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jul 2005

I know what you mean..

I have the same one you do .. you made some nice upgrades. but this was the best bang for the buck. and still it golds up well. I do want a kona or some other frame (foolish the schwinn has a bombproof frame.. just not crazy about the colors. but still woks great.. just letting you know.. it's fun and doe the job.

Jul 2005

none?

come on people.. the mesa is super old.. lets talk about it .. love it? hate it? build the frame up? lets talk.

mtbr member
    I really enjoyed how my GSD fit me, it felt perfect and natural in my hands.

But, the heavy frame and all around low grade components led me to realize I was better off getting a different bike. The cost to upgrade the drivetrain, wheels, and fork to my liking simply wasn't worth it.
    It's only funny until someone gets hurt, and then it's hilarious.
    --Bill Hicks

May 2008

mine's in the profile...

...picked up the bike from a good friend of mine and upgraded it after that. List of parts is at the bottom left, ignore the homegrown frame, I plan on swapping the mesa frame for the homegrown next week, but for now, it is still a Mesa!
    Last edited by firerat; 06-05-2008 at 05:57 AM.

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kwrangln
    Am I the only out out there happy with this thing?
    I rode a Mesa last week for the first time. I have to say, I came away with a bit of respect for the bike (and also for the RST Gila fork that was on it). I'm a bit of a bike geek, and I was highly predisposed not to like the Mesa. But 20 miles of riding it changed my mind. It seems to me a solid bike for the money. It held up to my riding, and performed well enough for me to actually have fun on it.

The one thing I didn't like was the short top-tube and longish-stem. That combo makes the bike a bit more endo-prone on downhills. I prefer a longer top-tube and shorter stem. But that's a nitpick, and more of a preference thing.

The reason I was on the Mesa is that the two kids whom I took riding wanted to run my 29ers. So they ran my two bikes, and I ran one of theirs.

I believe the model I rode was a 2007 or 2008.

Jul 2005
    I have had the chance to upgrade frames a few times.. and I'm still holding out.. I am not crazy about the colors orange/black and it says "schwinn" and that looks a little cheap .. BUT it is a rock hard frame it fits me well and I don't ride enough yet that I can OK a new/ different frame I won't out grow this one for awhile..

but I'd love to know what that frame compares to on the market.. the style of the frame.. not some guy telling me it's not made in the USA piece of **** etc.. I do love the fell of a kona though..

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I still ride my 2000 Mesa. Its a 21 inch frame with all the stock components still going strong. Im breaking her down this winter to do some cosmetic upgrades along with some functional ones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Back in May of this year when I was bike shopping, I almost got a 2007 Schwinn Mesa GS. I ended up getting a 2007 DB Response instead, but sometimes I wonder about the Schwinn. I definitely like the looks of the Schwinn better.

Here's a pic of the one I would've gotten...

Jul 2005
    I'm a little upset at how these "ok" Schwinns are hard to find.. the ones in the UK look much better. I just moved to Colorado so this Hard Tail might not cut it like it did in Michigan. I would still put this frame up to any other entry level hard tail out there.

Members who have read this thread: 3