2006 Teocali Expert from unpacking to first 2 rides- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007

2006 Teocali Expert from unpacking to first 2 rides

I know a number of people on this forum and others have been wondering about the Teocali so I thought I would write a little review. The bike was bought off of ebay for 980 shipped with insurance. I wrote these down on the specefic days and thought I would put them all together in one post.

The bike arrived on friday night. Unfortunately for me I live on a training route for UPS, which means that the box arrived looking like it had spent a few weeks in Iraq rather than just coming up from Florida. Luckily the frame and components did not have a scratch on them. I must have lucked out in the set-up department as the Front and Rear Der. needed almost no adjustment at all, and even the brakes were adjusted properly. Weight of the bike stock, with Time pedals was 32.26 pounds which is a bit heavier than my 06 IH that I have been riding. I aired up the tires and shocks and put it on the trainer for a bit.

Initial out of the box impressions:

Positives:
    1.Set up and adjustment was almost 0.
    2.Bike feels sturdy, welds and frame are well done.
    3.The handlebars and seat are very comfy.
    4.Even on the trainer pedal bob was almost zero.

Negatives:
    1.The clamp on the stem is a 1 bolt design. It looks beefy but 1 bolt holding my stem to my steerer tube just seems like a bad idea.
    2.The stock grips are small.
    3.The color really doesn't grab you, I am hoping that when it is out in the sun it will look better.
    4.The front wheel is WAY out of true, no way I can ride on it this weekend. It also makes a terrible screeching sound when it is on the bike and you spin the front tire. It is not the brakes, it is the hub...I will have to get it looked at on Monday.
    5.The bike comes set up for the 4.75 travel...that is silly I would think everyone would use the 5.75, so I had to move the shock up to the top mount.

Saturday:

My wife has a broken knee so I really am not going to get in much riding but have to test the bike out. I take it to a fairly close trail, which is pretty flat but with a LOT of obstacles. As the front wheel is out of true I have put on my old front wheel, which has a panaracer 2.1 xc pro tire on it. The nevegal rear and xc pro front is not a good combination but it is what I have so off I go.

Post 1st ride impressions:

Positives:
    1.This bike motors. If this bike has pedal bob I can't feel it, or see it. So far it is proving to be a very efficient design.
    2.The geometery and weight distribution are great. I can ride this bike all day and not have my back/hands/shoulders hurt.
    3.The color ROCKS in the sun.
    4.The RS front shock is nice and sturdy. I need to increase the negative air to increase the small bump compliance.
    5.Going over log obstacles is a breeze. The bike just gobbles them up.
    6.The nevegal rear tire is outstanding. This thing sticks to the dirt like crazy. Never have used them before, but these may now be my favorite tire.

Negatives.
    1.Well, I knew running the xc pro up front was a bad idea. My front tire washed out on me a number of times while the rear tire kept right on tracking.
    2.I am not sold on the rear RS shock. It is not that it doesn't do its job, because it does, it just does not have any tuning options other than rebound. I am really thinking about getting an 07 rp23 as I think the ability to completely turn off pro pedal on the downhills would be great.
    3.Speaking of downhills, the bike needs a bigger rotor at least up front. It is very inspiring on the downhills, but needs a bigger rotor.

Sunday:

I am going to go to a different trail today, not nearly as many obstacles but more technical riding, lots of ups and downs, whoop-de-dos, rocks, bridges, ect. My main concern right now is the front wheel, I should change out the front tire but it is late and I want to ride.

2nd ride impressions:

Positives:
    1.The increased neg air has really helped with the bumps on the front shock. It tracks well and I never used up all of its travel which is nice.
    2.I am more and more impressed with the rear suspension. It makes a bit of a racket going down but does it so well, who cares.
    3.For an entry level rear air shock the Ario holds its own. It is nothing to write home about but it does the job.
    4.The bike is heavier than my IH but so far has proven to be far more efficient. I can go faster on the 'goose even with the added weight.
    5.I did not notice any flexing of the rear triangle, or the rims which is nice because I am not small.
    6.I flew through the trail, had a blast on the whoop-de-doos, and never used up all the rear travel.
    7.The bike steers well. It is not twitchy, or sluggish..I would call it neutral handling, which I like.
    Negatives:
    1.Well I washed my front tire out 3 times today. Can't wait to get the new wheel fixed.
    2.The rear shock is gonna have to go. It just does not have the same plushness that a fox shock has. In fact I think the factory platform setting may be a bit to high.
    3.I am going to have to get very well aquanted with the nose of my seat. Steep uphills makes this bike wander a good deal.

Final thoughts:

For 1k I really could not ask for much more. The component spec is nice, the bike looks great, and handles well. I think mongoose needs to rethink the rear shock. But the actual suspension system is great, and the geometry is comfortable for all day rides. Overall I am very pleased with the bike.

mtbr member
    Great write-up. I am waiting for my 06 Elite to arrive this week, and my LBS will be assembling it. I was curious about the shock, I guess I will give it a chance before chucking it (since I already bought a fork for the bike).

I got mine for about the same price as you (shipped) so I look at if I have to upgrade a couple of parts it is still a great deal. Glad to hear about the Nevegals, can't wait to try them out.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch169
    Great write-up. I am waiting for my 06 Elite to arrive this week, and my LBS will be assembling it. I was curious about the shock, I guess I will give it a chance before chucking it (since I already bought a fork for the bike).

I got mine for about the same price as you (shipped) so I look at if I have to upgrade a couple of parts it is still a great deal. Glad to hear about the Nevegals, can't wait to try them out.

I am in the same boat. I purchased my Teo Elite off ebay on sat for the BIN(1009 shipped) and should expect it this week.

To the OP, how many peices did the bike come in? Did yours come with the Time pedals? Did it come with shock pump? Reading your write-up really got me excited because I am upgrading from my '03 Goose Wing Elite Which has been nothing but good to me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    The bike comes with Shimano 520s. I had the times on my IH so I just put those on and put the 520s on ebay. It did not come with a shock pump so if you do not have one you will have to buy one. It pretty much came assembled...All I did was turn the stem around to face forwards and attach the handlebars. Everything else was already installed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by stretch169

Yeah I was debating between an upgrade to the front shock. An air u-turn up front would be nice on the climbs. But in the end I felt the biggest performance improvement would come from the rear so I order a new "pushed" shock.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the info.

By the way...TTIWWOPs
    The trail giveth, The trail taketh away

'06 Mongoose Teocali Elite

mtbr member
    I'm sure I will replace the shock but I couldn't resist a great deal on an 06 All Mountain 1.
    Pivot Firebird, Tomac Snyper, KTM 250SX

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NitroDuck
    Thanks for all the info.

By the way...TTIWWOPs

LoL, I'll get some tomorrow in the daylight, indoor lighting sucks the life out of the paint job.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ridewiththedarkside
    LoL, I'll get some tomorrow in the daylight, indoor lighting sucks the life out of the paint job.

Yeah they do look better out outside than inside. Maybe i missread this, but the longer travel setting is the lower mount they come from the factory set at.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by zutroy
    Yeah they do look better out outside than inside. Maybe i missread this, but the longer travel setting is the lower mount they come from the factory set at.

I could be way off since I am certainly no math major. I just assumed that the top was the farther travel as it is farther away from the pivot point and is farther back from the shock than the lower one....Nothing that came with my bike told me. If I am wrong thats even better...more travel makes me happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ridewiththedarkside
    I could be way off since I am certainly no math major. I just assumed that the top was the farther travel as it is farther away from the pivot point and is farther back from the shock than the lower one....Nothing that came with my bike told me. If I am wrong thats even better...more travel makes me happy.

Actually it goes by the arc of the mounting position. The upper position moves more distance per inch of the wheel travel since it's farther from the pivot location.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

You stole my thread.

Just kidding. Just bought an 06 Teocali Elite on from the same guy on E-bayl. Was going to post some first impressions but it seems redundant. First new bike since my kick a** Fisher AL 1 with a stock aluminum fork (later replaced with a Manitou Mach V with a plush 1 inch (?) of elastomer assisted travel). Love the new bike!
    Question though. Am used to a more agressive riding position. With three spacers below the stem I feel like I'm riding a chopper. Am chalking this up to my inexperience with FS. Seems like my weight is biased too far to the back, though. Had to really decrease pressure in the front to get the proper sag on the front fork. Anyone have the same observation and/or removed the spacers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    The Teocali is great. I've been riding my Elite-05 for 2 years now. I've been riding ruff trails as well as DH-courses in Les Gets and Morzine (French Alps). Well, the alp tour allmost killed my goose

Since then I've build it up like I think the frame deserves:
    - Marzocchi Z1 FR1 in front
    - Progressive 5th element (coil) in the rear (tuned and optimized for the frame by Dr Spoke in Stockholm)
    - Halo Tornado wheels
    - Lock on grips
    - 75mm FSA FR230 stem
    - 8" rotor in front
    - Schwalbe Big Betty 2,4 tyre in front Fat Albert 2,35 in rear. Back swing clearance could be better
    - SKF BFR600 ISIS BB, the third since I bought it :/
    - 34t/22t BBB Chainrings in front + Truvativ bash
    - XT casette, SRAM chains
    - Titec telescopic post + noname saddle

Ok, It's not original but i rides better than ever now =D

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Lighten up.

Been riding the my Teocali Elite quitea bit and still love it. But I've really begun to notice the weight on the climbs. I know its not an XC bike and never will be, but what one item would give me the most weight savings for the money?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Wheels would probably make the most difference.

Aug 2006
    Lol lots of teocali love here. I hafta say the same about mine. Just put a few new upgrades on the bike, including a pike, and a nice short FR stem on it, and its flowing through the trails like never before. Cant wait to take it out for another ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    anyone here own a small sized teocali? Its urgent since i found a good deal, but its online and I need some measurements. Thanks

Aug 2006
    Yeah, I'm 5'7" and I ride a size small

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by prestavalve
    Yeah, I'm 5'7" and I ride a size small
    pm'd you.. thanks in advance if you can help.

STINKY TOFU
    Love my Teocali. I replaced a few things but the bes tupgrades were my revelation air (finally have it tuned just right) and odi rogue grips. The rogue grips definItely take away alot of vibrations. Next upgrade will be rear shock but I'm trying to hold out for the new RS Monarch.

achiever
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonhead08
    Love my Teocali. I replaced a few things but the bes tupgrades were my revelation air (finally have it tuned just right) and odi rogue grips. The rogue grips definItely take away alot of vibrations. Next upgrade will be rear shock but I'm trying to hold out for the new RS Monarch.
    I just got my suspension dialed as well and run rouges. I put a Cane Creek Cloud 9 on the back. I've only put a few rides on it but like it. It is way more plush compared to the Ario and uses much more of it's stroke. I've got the rebound set faster and I can really feel it rebounding a lot more over logs and rocks. It gets the wheel on the ground so I get the traction back quicker. The setup guide recommends 5 - 10 psi below body weight but that doesn't work on the Teo. I'm finding 5 - 10 over is about right. As long s I'm rambling on, if anyone wants to use a cloud 9 on a Teo, you need 8x19mm mounting hardware. I could only get 1 set of 8x19 so I had to file 3mm off a 22mm set. Fun.

Red

STINKY TOFU
    Thanks for the hardware info. I agree, I like my teo with a fast rebound too. I actually feel more bucking withe a slow rebound

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Just got my 06 Teo Elite, how do you adjust the travel from 4.75 to 5.75?

STINKY TOFU

travel adjustment

Depends on where you mount the rear of the shock. Not my bike but this should give you a good idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Members who have read this thread: 0