06 teocali frame crack- Mtbr.com

Jun 2006

06 teocali frame crack

Just wondering if anyone has experience of my little problem.

Arrived at Glentress (Scotland) this morning for a run round the red route.

Happened to glance down at the frame before setting off and thought " what the !!!"

There is a crack on the top tube, at the leading edge of the seat tube brace. The crack is where the weld joins the top tube and extends the full width of the front of the brace, about 1/2 inch in total.

Can't tell without scraping away the paint whether the crack is on the paint only or extends below into the alloy of the tube.

Bike is 10 months old, so i hope it is still covered by warranty.

Any other Teocali owners got any experience of this ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Nope not the top tube but the at a joint on the down tube. I took it back to the LBS because I saw something like a crack but it turned out to be just the paint. I've had mine since Dec 05 (it's an 06 model with 5.75" rear travel) and it's gone through a lot. In one and a half year, I've lost both derails, a saddle, a crankset, a rear brake from different crashes. The frame survived all of these incidents. Make sure it's not just the paint.

Jun 2006
    Spoke to the company i got it from today. The frame has to be sent back to them and they will pass it to the distributor for inspection.

The 07 Teocali has a hydroformed tube replacing the rectangular section one on my model. Whether this is for cosmetic or sales reasons or whether it is due to problems in this area of the bike i do not know. The hydroformed tube does have a much larger weld area than the tube on my version.

I figure if the paint is cracked then the top tube is either cracked or has been stretched/bent. The bike has never had a major crash so unless there is a weld fault or poor heat treating it must just be my fat arse to blame ( think that unlikely).

I will see what the distributor says.

Cheers.

Apr 2007
    Hi, Found this post as I have been googling "teocali frame crack" all over the place after finding something that I hope and pray isn't but think it is a crack on my 06 Teocali.

Mine would appear to be in the same place as yours. Bottom of the weld where the toptube meets the seat brace, It's maybe 12mm long and no more than a hairs breadth wide.
    I hope to heaven it's a paint crack. There seems to be no sign of stress or deformity to the weld or surrounding frame.
    Last edited by fanger; 05-08-2007 at 03:56 AM.

Jun 2006
    Hi Fanger,

I will certainly post the results of the post mortem when i get it. It may be about 2 weeks as the guy who deals with the waranty claims is off for a couple of weeks.

The crack on mine, as well as extending the width of the weld across the top tube is also propagating a couple of mm down the top tube. This suggests to me that it is a tube failure (originating from the weld) rather than the weld itself detaching from the tube.

Poor heat treatment post welding ( assuming that is done to the frame) could be the cause but i don't have a masters in metullargy so that is pure speculation.

I did look at an 07 Teocali yesterday and as well as the brace now being hydroformed it has a far greater weld area. The weld width at the front alone, must be double the width of the 06 model. From my limited engineering knowledge, it is obvious that the 07 will spread the load from the seat area in a manner much less likely to encourage failure.

You may wish to enquire of Mongoose themselves or the importer ( Hot wheels in the UK as i don't know where you live) about the possibility of them honouring a direct warranty claim. Nothing ventured etc.

Cheers

Stuart

Apr 2007
    Hi Stuart,
    Thanks for replying.

Managed to get a pic of it...here:

http://img395.imageshack.us/my.php?i...racked2kq9.jpg

Yours does sound worse.
    Last edited by fanger; 05-08-2007 at 03:57 AM.

Jun 2006
    Yip, identical location and width of crack only longer. ( Sorry to depress you !!)

Did Dalbeattie Hardrock trail after the initial discovery. Crack elongated a couple of mm which made me even more positive it was a tube crack rather than paint.

Frame now wrapped in foam and in a cardboard box to go back.

Will post the outcome soon as i have it.

Stuart

Apr 2007
    Damn damn damn. Guess I've been quidding myself. Had just bought some flipping Easton Monkey lite bars for it as well!

What you said about the 2007 models having the uprated brace makes sense and I was a bit "why have they done that then" when I saw them TBH. I suppose they've had a number back with same failure.

I shall phone Hotwheels and sound them out about the whole thing.

Good luck with yours. Hope you get a result i.e: new frame.
    I'm a little encoraged by the Poster above who said they got there's looked at and it WAS a paint crack but then again it's still going to make you hesitant to go full on isn't it.

damn damn damn. I am really p***** off now.

fanger

Oct 2005
    Paint crack along a weld=tube is cracked.

Jun 2006
    Just a thought Fanger, you seem to be from the UK as you are going to speak to Hot Wheels. My Teocali is Grey as well ( mind you i think all the 06's were) so, here is my frame number, just in case it is similar to yours.

MGAMA-N HAJPA 00092

If it is near your's we may have a bad batch of welds. May be of help in seeking a replacement if you have some evidence of other folk with the same failure.

Worth a try.

I will post on the MTB Scotland forum and any others that come to mind. Power in numbers and all that.

Stuart

Apr 2007
    Hi Stuart,

After a look around this crack seems to be an all too familiar problem with the teocali's prior to the 2007 upgraded brace:
    Take a look at this:

http://www.fogma.co.uk/foggylog/archive/333.html

Thanks for the frame number. Yours is a 2006 whereas mine is 2005 though.
    Still, after sleeping on the problem I'm going to do the hotwheels route and see what they can do and if that fails I guess it's new frame time even though I'm skint.
    Given this I think I'd better go down the Black Diamond route as they seem a bit beefier given the destructive force of my riding.

Wondered if anyone has ridden this frame?

Jun 2006
    Hey Fanger,

My frame got picked up today and is on it's way to Hotwheels.

I requested that i get an 07 frame as a replacement. Hopefully this will happen as i have been told by my local Evans Cycles store that Hotwheels only keep a couple of each bike for warranty claims.

The guys in Evans also advised me that they would have been happy to return my frame for me, as should any Mongoose dealer. You may wish to take advantage of this suggestion !!

Further to this, one of the staff rides a black diamond and spoke highly of it. Although i imagine that you will be doing a bit of on line research before finalising any decision on a suitably robust replacement frame !!

Will keep in touch.

Stuart

Jun 2006
    Well, Hotwheels have agreed to replace the frame so that's a good result.

The lady at the warranty dept says the new frame is identical to my old one but in the new 07 colour scheme.

I take it that this will mean it is an 07 frame as i dont think the 06 frame type ( with the rectangular seat brace ) has the new metallic paint.

Will find out either way on Wednesday when the new one arrives.

I have to supply the frame number so Hotwheels can bill Mongoose. That would suggest i may have to get the rear triangle powdercoated to complement the new frame colour, rather than them wanting the back end returned. Just as well my mates mum works for a powdercoater !! Big bunch of flowers in order i think !!

Jun 2006
    So much for Wednesday !!!!

Got a call from Winstanley bikes on Wednesday afternoon to be told that the frame should be with me for today (Friday).

Guess what ? still bleeding waiting !!

Beginning to get a bit peed off. It has only been 3 flaming weeks that i have been without a bike now. The mates are going out on Sunday and i have been forced to rebuild a 6 year old Saracen so that i have something to ride. It's horrible, worn out and drives me crazy with it's squeaking !!

Of course the lady at Winstanley was keen to point out how lucky i am to be getting a shiny new 07 frame. Woo bloody Hoo !! Someone getting the finger out and shifting their behind would make me a much happier bunny.

Moan over for now.

Stuart.

Jun 2006
    Finally, Frame arrived. 07 Frame painted grey to match 06 frame colour but with new decals.

Bike back together and tested on local trail.

At least i won't have to have the back end powdercoated.

Hope you get a good result Fanger.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Anyone who knows the specs of the Mongoose Frame warranty? Is it a life time limitation for first time owners as for Turner, Trek or Specialized or limited?

I have a Teocali 2005 :O

Jul 2007

Crack

I too have an O6 Teocali Elite with a cracked frame in exactly the same spot.

Having no joy with warranty. Bike shop has changed hands and won't help me without a receipt and the distributors here in Australia haven't returned my emails.

Think it was a blessing in disguise, I now have a Trance 1 and it leaves the Teocali for dead, at least with the type of riding I do which is mainly cross country and longer trail rides.

Jun 2006
    I would keep at the distributors if i were you.

It is obvious that the 05/06 frame has a design fault if you consider that everyones cracks at the same point.

Hotwheels here in the UK had no issue with replacing mine. They simply needed the frame number for having Mongoose reimburse them.

It may even be worth your while contacting Mongoose direct and explaning the problem to them.

You could always sell the Goose once you get a new frame.

Cheers

Jul 2007

Broken Teocali

Just a follow up.

I had my Teocali fixed. The frame was replaced (including swingarm) with and 07 frame. Looks great. Took a while but the service I recieved in the end was excellent.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Can you post the steps you took to get your bike fixed? Thanks

Apr 2007
    UPDATE:
    I got my frame fixed too! HotWheels were great about it and replaced the front triangle with an 07 same colour. Totally delighted with the service and I'm pretty damn sure the new hydroformed seat brace was done to address the issues with this failure of the weld.

Jul 2007

Steps

Taikuodo,
    My story is long and drawn out so I'll try and keep it simple.

After noticing the crack I contacted the shop I purchased it from. They advised if I had proof or purchase they could fix it. Fact was, I threw out the receipt some time previous as the 12 month warranty on components had expired and I did not expect a prob with the frame.

I contacted the distributor explaining my situation. First email recieved no reponse, but after the second I received a call from the distributor asking me to take it to the bike shop (that had since changed hands) for evaluation. A week later I had a brand new frame with all the components swapped over at no charge.

Thats it in a nutshell.

mtbr member
    looks to me like a bad heat treat. I'm a welder, and i can tell you that certain alloys of aluminum used in bike frame MUST be heat treated ie: 6061. if they arent, this is exactly what happens. there is something known as the "heat effected zone" which is the metal to the sides of the weld. they get VERY hot, and as a result become weakened and/or brittle. heat treating the frames changes the molecular structure of the metal, allowing the chains of molecules to re-align themselves, hence making it as strong as the alloy should be.
    its my speculation, looking at that picture, that its simply an issue of bad heat treating... though it does occur to me that aluminum welded while its cold can also have cracks along the weld, though typically the weld joint itself breaks in that scenario.
    best of luck with the frame replacement, its obviously a manufacturing flaw, so hopefully they will take care of you guys!

STINKY TOFU
    This seemed to be a common problem on pre 07 frames. The added a gusset for the 07's I wonder if anyone is having these same problems with that year.
    "I'd pee on that"
    -R. Kelly-

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Yes.

My 07 frame (given to me to replace my cracked 06 frame) failed yesterday.

I suppose I'll be given an 08 frame.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Being fairly new to this forum I was trolling through the Mongoose section when I came upon his thread.
    I have [had] a 2005 Teocali Comp purchased new in july 2005 from a LBS.
    After reading this is went and checked my frame, Damn - my frame has a hair line crack in exactley the same place as those on here!
    No way would I have spotted if I had not read this thread.
    On February 18th I went in to the LBS to ask what the warranty was worth, I was told 5 years on the frame, take some photos of the crack, they would send them off and see what the response was from the Australian distributor.
    On February 26th I got a call saying they wanted two more photos, one of the serial number and one of the whole bike with that days edition of the local paper in it [I assume to prove it was my bike in the photo]
    Yesterday March 9th I got a call from the LBS to say my new frame had arrived!
    I went in and was presented with a 2010 Teocali Super frame in black and white.
    Today they swapped out all my parts and I picked up the bike.
    I'm stoked.
    20 days from initial warranty claim to new frame - excellent service.
    Whats more my old 2005 was certainly looking its age being ridden hard so getting a brand new frame for nothing is awesome.
    So my 2005 Teocali comp has slowly morphed in to a 2010 Super with the only parts remaining from my 2005 purchase being the wheels and shifters/derailers every thing else has been swapped out in 4 1/2 years

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wow, that's excellent news. We Australians can get jerked around more than others at times, so it's great to see Mongoose is on top of this.

You've no doubt seen the pictures of teocali failures on this forum, it's probably why Mongoose moved so swiftly! There was something intrinsically wrong with the design of the old teocalis, and when they went it was fairly spectacular!

Having just gotten a meteore team for super cheap, i'm stunned by the frame. Mongoose gets no recognition, and their bikes are serious kit!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Another newbie here with a 06 Teocali Super with "cracks"
    Local dealer has inspected and taken photos to check with Mongoose if they will cover anything on the warranty. Cracks on both sides where the seatpost/upper tube is welded togheter with the lower tube (both sides where the "hole" for the rear shock is)

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Got an answer now and they`ll give me a new frame

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewlkr
    Got an answer now and they`ll give me a new frame
    Excellent! I just found a crack on my 06 teocali super exactly wear you have cracks. One of the posts going to the down tube where the hole for the rear shock is at has a crack right on the weld. Going to have Performance have a look at it today.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    do 07s have this problem also?
    I am the Stig

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    So..... I just got the bad news from Performance. Mongoose will not warranty my 06 Teocali Super. Their claim is that the warranty is only for 3 years on the frame (even though the manual says differently). They graciously offered to sell me a 2009 frame for $3375.00. I was hoping that since nitewlkr got great results from essentially the same problem that my results would be no different.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Uly
    So..... I just got the bad news from Performance. Mongoose will not warranty my 06 Teocali Super. Their claim is that the warranty is only for 3 years on the frame (even though the manual says differently). They graciously offered to sell me a 2009 frame for $3375.00. I was hoping that since nitewlkr got great results from essentially the same problem that my results would be no different.
    Strange since Mongoose covered mine,but since i live in norway we have pretty strict laws that regulate warranty/claims and they says 5 years right to claim as long as the product is ment to last longer than 5 years

3375$ damn.... for that amount you could buy a 2010 Teocali Super complete bike

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewlkr
    Strange since Mongoose covered mine,but since i live in norway we have pretty strict laws that regulate warranty/claims and they says 5 years right to claim as long as the product is ment to last longer than 5 years

3375$ damn.... for that amount you could buy a 2010 Teocali Super complete bike
    Yeah, I'm going in to confirm that number today.

I also had a look at the warranty inside the bike's user manual. The warranty clearly states that the frame is warranted as long as it is owned by the original owner. No time limit stated. I'm going to have my LBS give it one more go with Mongoose armed with that info and see what happens.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Had a face to face today with the lbs manager about the quoted frame cost. He apologized for the misunderstanding and meant to say $375.00. Whew! That's more reasonable.

He is going to try the warranty route again armed with a copy of the warranty I showed him from the User Manual. It clearly states for U.S. warranty that the frame is warranted as long as the original owner is in possession of the bike. Of course there is additional legal ease that gives them a lot of wiggle room in the warranty.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Warranty didn't go very well

I got word from Performance yesterday that Mongoose is sticking to their guns with their claim that the Teocali Super frame is only warranted for 3 yrs from purchase, even when presented with the warranty that came with the bike (warranted for as long as the original owner owns it) which I've attached below. I am pretty disappointed, especially since others have had better results with a weld issue that was a clear problem with the older frames as evidenced above. There were no other issues with this bike, like abuse, and it was made clear to me that the only issue they had was the age of the bike (4 yrs).

I have been without my bike for almost a month now since I started this. I've decided to go ahead and pay the $375.00 for the new frame and just be done with it.

I bought a second Mongoose last year, an Otero. So with this experience, I'm sad to say that the Otero will be my last Mongoose. A company is only as good as it's word, or warranty in this case. If they are not willing to honor their word, well ... then my dollars are better spent else where.

Notch this up to experience.

Sorry for the big picture. If I make it smaller it gets impossible to read. The very first paragraph deals with the frame warranty.

mtbr member
    I got word from Performance yesterday that Mongoose is sticking to their guns with their claim that the Teocali Super frame is only warranted for 3 yrs from purchase, even when presented with the warranty that came with the bike (warranted for as long as the original owner owns it) which I've attached below. I am pretty disappointed, especially since others have had better results with a weld issue that was a clear problem with the older frames as evidenced above. There were no other issues with this bike, like abuse, and it was made clear to me that the only issue they had was the age of the bike (4 yrs).

I have been without my bike for almost a month now since I started this. I've decided to go ahead and pay the $375.00 for the new frame and just be done with it.

I bought a second Mongoose last year, an Otero. So with this experience, I'm sad to say that the Otero will be my last Mongoose. A company is only as good as it's word, or warranty in this case. If they are not willing to honor their word, well ... then my dollars are better spent else where.

Notch this up to experience.

Sorry for the big picture. If I make it smaller it gets impossible to read. The very first paragraph deals with the frame warranty.

I wouldnt have paid for the frame. My mongoose is my last mongoose as well. Mongoose hasnt been making good choices lately IMO.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    I wouldnt have paid for the frame. My mongoose is my last mongoose as well. Mongoose hasnt been making good choices lately IMO.

I know where you are coming from. I feel the same way, but these economic times are tight and I'm backed into a corner here. $375.00 for a new frame plus another $100.00 or so for the lbs to transfer all the equipment, or possibly another $3000.00 or so for another comparable AM bike.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    To follow up, I sent Dorel and Mongoose an email to state my dis-satisfaction with the warranty issue. The names have been changed to protect the innocent. Sorry for the long post in advance

Sent: Sat 9/4/2010 11:42 AM
    To: CSG Customer Service
    Cc: [email protected], [email protected]
    Subject: Bike Frame Warranty Issue

To whom it may concern,

In 2006, I purchased a Mongoose Teocali Super that came with a frame warranty against manufacturer defects for as long as the bike is owned by the original owner. In early August of this year as I was cleaning and servicing my bike I found a crack in the frame located on a weld seam. As an engineer I know that cracks seldom occur on a weld seam unless there is issue with the manufacturing process.

I did some due diligence on the web to see if anyone else had experienced this issue with their Teocali Super. To my surprise, I found a whole thread on the largest mountain bike review site on the web, www.mtbr.com, dedicated to frame cracks on Teocali Supers. For the most part, most cases resulted in Mongoose honoring the warranty. I was glad to see that, and since I do not abuse my bike and constantly clean, service and inspect my bike, I did not anticipate any issues and started the warranty process on my bike.

I brought my bike to a authorized Mongoose Dealer, Performance Bike in Sorrento Valley, Calif., who happened to be the company from which I purchased the bike. They were more than happy to submit the warranty case to Mongoose. A little after TWO weeks, Performance regretted to inform me that Mongoose would not warranty my frame. Mongoose's reason: The frame only had a 3 year warranty.

Since I am meticulous about keeping receipts and paperwork as I am meticulous about keeping my bike in good order, I knew that this was not the case. I presented the warranty to the Performance Bike representative who made a copy of the warranty that came with the bike, which he then forwarded to the Mongoose representative. A little after a week, the Performance representative informed me that the Mongoose still would not warranty my bike even after seeing the original warranty, sticking to the original statement of a 3 yr warranty. The resolution, which I regrettably accepted, was to purchase a 2009 frame of the same model from Mongoose for $375.00. Since I have been without my bike for almost a month and the cost of a new bike is 10 times that price, I felt I had no choice.

I have to say that I am truly disappointed to find out that Mongoose will not honor their written warranty. Especially since I am the owner of 2 Mongoose bikes. I bought an Otero last year. If this had happened before that purchase, the Teocali Super would have been my last Mongoose purchase.

I have chronicled my experience on the thread that I found on MTBR. It can be found here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...89#post7288289

Regards,

Uly

This is a picture of my bike, you can see that I keep it very clean.
    These are pictures of the crack on the weld
    This is a picture of the warranty that came with the bike

This is what I got back in response. No hello, no salutations, no sorry about you getting the incorrect warranty. Just a copy of some warranty that they are using to base their decision upon.

Subject: RE: Bike Frame Warranty Issue
    Date: September 7, 2010 7:17:10 AM PDT
    To: Uly

Limited Warranty

Your purchase includes the following limited warranty which is in lieu of all other express warranties. This warranty is extended only to the initial consumer purchaser. This warranty gives you specific legal rights. You may have other legal rights which vary state to state. Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages or limitations on how long implemented warranties last, so the above limitations or exclusions may not apply to you.

Frame warranty

Steel frames are guaranteed against manufacturing defect (defined as a defect in materials or workmanship as delivered with the product) for the lifetime of the frame. Aluminum and carbon non-suspension frames are guaranteed against manufacturing defect for a period of 5-years from the date of original purchase. Rear suspension frames are guaranteed against manufacturing defect for a period of 3-years from the date of original purchase. If frame failure should occur due to faulty materials or workmanship during the guarantee period, the frame will be replaced with the same or most nearly compatible frame then available.
    For frame replacement under the limited warranty, please contact the authorized dealer the bicycle was purchased from. Authorized dealers will contact us to initiate a warranty claim on your behalf. However, frames must be returned for inspection at the customerís expense and include a copy of the original and dated purchasing receipt. Please note: the fork is not part of the frame.

Component Warranty

Most non-proprietary components have a limited warranty offered by the component manufacturer directly. Please contact your authorized dealer for additional information on making a warranty claim on such a part. All other parts except Normal Wear Parts are guaranteed against a defect in materials or workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of original purchase, subject to terms and conditions of this limited warranty. If failure of a part should occur during the warranty period, the part will be replaced. Please contact an authorized dealer to initiate a warranty claim on your behalf. All parts must be returned for inspection at the customerís expense and be accompanied by a copy of the original and dated proof of purchase. Normal Wear part, defined as grips, tubes, tires, cables, brake shoes, and saddle covering have thirty (30) day limited warranty. Claims against Normal Wear parts and missing parts must be made within thirty (30) days of purchase. Please contact your local authorized dealer for warranty assistance on components.

Exclusions

Any other warranty claim not included in the statements above is void. This especially includes installation, assembly, and disassembly costs. The limited warranty does not cover paint damage, rust, any modification made to the bicycle, normal wear and tear, improper assembly or maintenance, and installation of parts or accessories not originally intended or compatible with the bicycle as sold. The warranty does not apply to damage or failure due to accident, abuse, misuse, neglect or theft. Claims involving these issues will not be honored.

Useful Lifecycle

The length of useful lifecycle will vary depending on the type of bike, riding conditions, and care the bicycle receives. Competition, jumping, downhill racing, trick riding, trail riding, riding sever conditions or climates, riding with heavy loads, or any other non-standard use can substantially shorten the useful product lifecycle. Any one or a combination of these conditions may result in an unpredictable failure that is not covered by this limited warranty. All bicycles and frame set should be periodically checked by an authorized dealer for indications of potential problems, inappropriate use and/or abuse. These are important safety checks and may help prevent accidents, bodily injury to the rider and a shortened product lifecycle.

THIS IS THE WARRANTY MADE BY CANNONDALE SPORTS GROUP. THERE ARE NO OTHER WARRANTIES. ANY WARRANTY THAT MIGHT OTHERWISE BE IMPLIED BY LAW INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY AND THE IMPLIED WARRANT OF FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PUPORSE ARE LIMITED STRICTLY TO THE APPLICABLE LENGTH OF THIS LIMITED WARRANTY.

I sent this in reply today

Subject: Re: Bike Frame Warranty Issue
    Date: September 7, 2010 12:33:51 PM PDT
    To: CSG Customer Service
    Cc: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Thank you for sending the warranty information upon which you have based your decision upon. However, this is not the warranty information which accompanied my 2006 Mongoose Teocali Super.

The text of the written warranty which was presented to me at the point of sale along with the conditions of the warranty, as required by the Magnusson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975, is as follows:

MONGOOSE LIMITED WARRANTY*
    Mongoose bicycle frames that have been purchased from an authorized Mongoose bicycle dealer are warranted by Mongoose to be free from defects in material and workmanship under normal use for as long as the bicycle is owned by the original owner.*

All original parts purchased from an authorized Mongoose bicycle dealer, except tires, tubes and cables are warranted by Mongoose to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for one (1) year from the date of purchase.

During each of the respective limited warranty periods, all original parts and bicycle frames subject to this limited warranty and determined by Mongoose to be defective in materials or workmanship, will be repaired or replaced by Mongoose, through an authorized Mongoose bicycle dealer, free of charge, except for shipping or other transportation charges and dealer labor charges (if applicable). These charges are not covered by this limited warranty.

This limited warranty applies only to Mongoose bicycles which were fully assembled by an authorized Mongoose bicycle dealer at the time of purchase and were not altered in any way inconsistent with the bicycle's design. Mongoose bicycles should be inspected by an authorized Mongoose dealer every six months. in order to obtain limited warranty service, the bicycle, together with the bill of sale, or other dated proof-of-purchase document identifying the bicycle frame number, must be presented to an authorized Mongoose bicycle dealer. For assistance in locating an authorized Mongoose bicycle dealer,

please call 1-800-257-0662

NOTICE: The user assumes the risk of any personal injuries, damage to, or failure of the bicycle and any other losses if Mongoose bicycles are: used in any competitive event (including bicycle racing, or bicycle motocross, dirt biking, freestyling, or similar activities or training for such activities), altered in any way inconsistent with the bicycles originally designed purpose, used for stunt riding, ramp jumping, acrobatics or similar activities, operated with multiple riders, used to tow another person or vehicle, used with motors or any power driven apparatus. Any of the foregoing will invalidate this limited warranty and Mongoose shall not be liable for any failure, loss, damage or injury resulting from such use or alterations.

Mongoose shall not be responsible for incidental or consequential damages. This limited warranty does not cover any personal injuries, damage to, failure of the bicycle or any other losses due to accident, misuse, alteration, neglect, abuse, normal wear and tear, improper assembly, improper fit, improper maintenance or use of unauthorized replacement parts or parts not designed for the bicycle.

This limited warranty is the only warranty applicable to Mongoose bicycles, and is expressly in lieu of any other warranty. Any implied warranty, including any warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose is limited in duration to the duration of the express warranty. This limited warranty gives you specific legal rights and you may also have other rights which may vary from state to state. This limited warranty applies only to the United States.

If what is expressed below is in fact the written warranty, then it should have accompanied the bike and should have been included in the printed Mongoose material and given to me. As it stands, what you emailed me is not what accompanied the bike and is not what was presented to me at the point of sale. What I have included above is what was presented to me at the point of sale and was part of the decision to buy a Mongoose bike.

Regards,

Uly
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 06 teocali frame crack-img_0689.jpg  

06 teocali frame crack-img_0749.jpg  

06 teocali frame crack-img_0751.jpg  

06 teocali frame crack-mongoosewarranty.jpg  

mtbr member
    I know where you are coming from. I feel the same way, but these economic times are tight and I'm backed into a corner here. $375.00 for a new frame plus another $100.00 or so for the lbs to transfer all the equipment, or possibly another $3000.00 or so for another comparable AM bike.
    I can agree with that. I do all my own work on my bikes so I can save that 100 bucks on putting the parts on. If it was me, I probably would have gotten a sette flite frame from pricepoint just to keep my money away from mongoose. For the last 2 years, I have loved my goose. Best bang for the buck you could find and they backed their products. I even heard of people with bike past the five you warrenty getting new frames. something changed this year with multiple people getting screwed on warrenties and the prices on the bike they produce going up and the quality of components staying the same. I hate to be off the goose band wagon but my next bike will be something else.

mtbr member
    Random thought, But the pre 2008 teocali's came with a 200x50mm shock and the 2008 and newer came with a 200x57. switching to the newer frame with the old shock will be a loss of .66 inches of travel for you. You will have a 5'' bike

Edit: even worse, your shock is 190x50 and the 2009 is 200x57. I hope you can get them to throw in a shock

also you posted:
    Frame warranty

Steel frames are guaranteed against manufacturing defect (defined as a defect in materials or workmanship as delivered with the product) for the lifetime of the frame. Aluminum and carbon non-suspension frames are guaranteed against manufacturing defect for a period of 5-years from the date of original purchase. Rear suspension frames are guaranteed against manufacturing defect for a period of 3-years from the date of original purchase. If frame failure should occur due to faulty materials or workmanship during the guarantee period, the frame will be replaced with the same or most nearly compatible frame then available.
    For frame replacement under the limited warranty, please contact the authorized dealer the bicycle was purchased from. Authorized dealers will contact us to initiate a warranty claim on your behalf. However, frames must be returned for inspection at the customer’s expense and include a copy of the original and dated purchasing receipt. Please note: the fork is not part of the frame.
    Last edited by mullen119; 09-07-2010 at 01:50 PM.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mullen119
    Random thought, But the pre 2008 teocali's came with a 200x50mm shock and the 2008 and newer came with a 200x57. switching to the newer frame with the old shock will be a loss of .66 inches of travel for you. You will have a 5'' bike

Edit: even worse, your shock is 190x50 and the 2009 is 200x57. I hope you can get them to throw in a shock

also you posted:
    Frame warranty

For frame replacement under the limited warranty, please contact the authorized dealer the bicycle was purchased from. Authorized dealers will contact us to initiate a warranty claim on your behalf. However, frames must be returned for inspection at the customerís expense and include a copy of the original and dated purchasing receipt. Please note: the fork is not part of the frame.
    Yup, I knew that the rear shock would be a problem with the replacement frame. But there is nothing I can do about that. It's clear in the warranty that only a frame is warranted, so I will have to eat the cost of a rear shock and the cost of cable & cable housings and whatever else may need replacing. So it's obvious I was under-estimating the cost of the cheaper route, if only to convince myself that it was a better solution.

That part of the warranty you quoted is from the warranty that they sent me as proof of 3 years for frame, not the warranty that came with the bike. So the new frame will be warranted for only 3 years.

mtbr member
    Yup, I knew that the rear shock would be a problem with the replacement frame. But there is nothing I can do about that. It's clear in the warranty that only a frame is warranted, so I will have to eat the cost of a rear shock and the cost of cable & cable housings and whatever else may need replacing. So it's obvious I was under-estimating the cost of the cheaper route, if only to convince myself that it was a better solution.

That part of the warranty you quoted is from the warranty that they sent me as proof of 3 years for frame, not the warranty that came with the bike. So the new frame will be warranted for only 3 years.
    My bad, I missed the part that said it was their response. It really sucks that you will end up needing a new shock. I know you will need cables like you stated because the cable routing on my 2008 is completly different from my friends 2009. Hopefully thats all. Keep us updated. Post some pics of new bike when it gets put together.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Shock replacement

I'm in the similar situation of just receiving a 2010 warranty replacement frame for my 2005 Tecoali Super (just snuck in under the 5yrs!)

I had assumed that a new shock would be included so hadn't looked into the issue of replacing it - so now like you I'm stuck with a 190x50mm Fox RP3 to go into the new frame. I'm not fussed about losing a little travel, but how will this affect a) the longevity of the shock (it was PUSH'd only a few months back so is in good condition still); b) the handling and feel of the bike; and most importantly c) the longevity of the frame itself?

I'm not fussed if I cook the old shock fairly quickly (it's of new use to me know for anything else), but I'd like to be getting the bike's full potential (apart from the travel) and certainly don't want to do any damage to the new frame.

Cheers.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by whippet
    I'm in the similar situation of just receiving a 2010 warranty replacement frame for my 2005 Tecoali Super (just snuck in under the 5yrs!)

I had assumed that a new shock would be included so hadn't looked into the issue of replacing it - so now like you I'm stuck with a 190x50mm Fox RP3 to go into the new frame. I'm not fussed about losing a little travel, but how will this affect a) the longevity of the shock (it was PUSH'd only a few months back so is in good condition still); b) the handling and feel of the bike; and most importantly c) the longevity of the frame itself?

I'm not fussed if I cook the old shock fairly quickly (it's of new use to me know for anything else), but I'd like to be getting the bike's full potential (apart from the travel) and certainly don't want to do any damage to the new frame.

Cheers.
    Interesting. How did they come up with the 5 year number?

Like mullen said earlier, you will lose some travel. Your frame should be able to endure this no problem. Handling might suffer due to geometry after shock sags. Not sure if "topping out" the shock a lot would shorten its life span.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whippet

Cheers.
    The shorter stroke wont matter at all. The shorter eye 2 eye length will though. The shocks total length is 10mm shorter it should be. You will have a slacker head tube angle. as well as a lower seat hieght. The rear of the bike will sit 1/2 inch into its travel before sag. With the short shock stroke, the bottom out point will be at the same point as it would be with the Correct size shock. I would save up for the correct size shock.

Uly
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Follow up to my warranty issue

So with every tale there is an end, but not always happy. In this case it was all good.

Last week I sent Jeff McGuane president of Cannondale Sports Group, the business unit that runs Mongoose, a letter of complaint. In it I spell out pretty much everything that has occurred in the previous posts above and what my warranty card says.

This morning I received an email from his executive assistant stating she would immediately look into the matter. This afternoon I got a very pleasant call from a young lady at Mongoose stating that my frame will be replaced for free. I apparently received the wrong warranty card/user's manual with my bike when I bought it. Their aluminum frames are not warranted for life, only 3 years, and apologized for the mix-up.

Thanks to Cannondale Sports Group for making things right.

mtbr member
    So with every tale there is an end, but not always happy. In this case it was all good.

Last week I sent Jeff McGuane president of Cannondale Sports Group, the business unit that runs Mongoose, a letter of complaint. In it I spell out pretty much everything that has occurred in the previous posts above and what my warranty card says.

This morning I received an email from his executive assistant stating she would immediately look into the matter. This afternoon I got a very pleasant call from a young lady at Mongoose stating that my frame will be replaced for free. I apparently received the wrong warranty card/user's manual with my bike when I bought it. Their aluminum frames are not warranted for life, only 3 years, and apologized for the mix-up.

Thanks to Cannondale Sports Group for making things right.
    Its awesome that you ended up with a new frame for free. Im still confused on why other people have had no problems on getting frames replaced close to five years after they bought them. But all that matters is that you did get a frame. It restores alittle of my lost faith in mongoose.

Members who have read this thread: 0