WORS races, opinons?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

WORS races, opinons?

I'm thinking about signing up for the Reforestation Ramble, race #9 in the WORS series, and also race #11, the Bear Paw Rock & Roll.

Never done a WORS race, but I've raced lots of other XC races in Michigan. How are these races? How are the courses, how many riders usually show up to something like this? Planning on entering into the comp category.

Just trying to get a feeler for how they are. Thanks!
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by esundell90 View Post
    I'm thinking about signing up for the Reforestation Ramble, race #9 in the WORS series, and also race #11, the Bear Paw Rock & Roll.

Never done a WORS race, but I've raced lots of other XC races in Michigan. How are these races? How are the courses, how many riders usually show up to something like this? Planning on entering into the comp category.

Just trying to get a feeler for how they are. Thanks!
    Don't know how the Michigan races are but WORS generally run about 600-800 racers per event. I know the Nine Mile race (Wausau) had 812 total racers this year. I've done Reforestation a few times and it is fun although not your typical WORS event as the course is longer than most WORS events and the start waves are done differently. Reforestation has been placed well on the calendar and in course format is a good warm up for the Chequamegon 40. The course is fast and flat. Single track is fast and twisty yet fun at high speeds and there is plenty of curvy, sandy double track to crank it up on. Long lap too....somewhere around 12 miles. I race Comp class and I think last year I had something like 36-37 miles at the finish.

I can't comment on Bear Paw as I have not raced that event but I have heard good things about it.

mtbr member
    I've been in races with over 2000 riders here in MI. I'm up in the UP so I've done ore to shore, chain drive ect.

Single track and technical stuff is something I enjoy. I'm looking forward to this race, I'll see how the course is
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.

He be a moose too.
    Generally WORS races are well run and have pretty good courses. I wouldn't have any hesitation to go to one. I haven't been able to do any this year but I'll be doing a few later in the year. I always make it to the season finale at Sheboygan as I visit friends and love Karl, the guy who hands out money at the hill climb if you make it up.

The only thing I don't like it the awful caterwauling when they sing the national anthem. Seems out of place at a race (I know, I know, that's called flame bait).

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Reforestation is just how mblock described it and has been improving each year as they have been adding more single track too it.

For me Bear Paw is one of the best courses in the WORS series. Lots of single track with enough passing areas. It is a more technical in nature than most WORS races as it is a little on the rough side (as in less smooth dirt). It does have a couple of nice climbs but nothing too brutal or long. I love it and feel it is right up with the Subaru Cup WORS race at Mt. Morris. Do that one next year; well worth it!

mtbr member
    Reforestation was my first race with WORS a few years ago, and a great experience. It is as described above, but I would add emphasis that it is not technical. It used to be my home trail, and I can go through the entire 10.5 mile singletrack loop in my head still. I think WORS in general is a very well run operation, and as I complete my first full series this year I'll be looking forward to being involved again next year. I haven't had a chance to ride the Bear Paw race yet, and am very excited to hit it this year!