WORS - categories & appropriate license question- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

WORS - categories & appropriate license question

I find all these cycling license options and rider categories confusing. If I want to race as an "Open" woman, it appears I can do so with a 1-day license purchased at the event. However, if I want to race as a Pro/Cat 1 (I don't even understand if Pro/Cat 1 is one category or two separate), it appears I need to purchase an annual license. Upon going to the USA cycling page, there is a $70 annual option, however on that application it asks for your level and then states Pro riders need to complete the International Cycling form which is a $200 license. Which license does one need to complete in a WORS race in the Pro/Cat 1 category and are these the same category, or can you ride Cat 1 (with a $70 annual license) without being a "Pro?" Thanks for the clarification.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Pro/Cat1 is also know as "Elite" in WORS speak. You just need a regualr USAC license of cat 1. Then you can compete in that class.

If you had a Pro license, you could also race it. But, there is really no reason to shell out the extra money. Also, to confuse things more. Cat 1 competitors are also eligible for age class medals, in addition to the overall prize purse. If you are a Pro holder, you are only able to get the overall $.

There used to be a lot more women racing in the Cat1/elite class there. I think the Open class has actually discouraged people from doing the Cat1 race.