WORS - Cam-Rock Singlespeed Gearing (29er)?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

WORS - Cam-Rock Singlespeed Gearing (29er)?

Hello,

Are there any locals on here with some gearing advise for SS (29er) at the upcoming Cam-Rock Race. It would be awesome if you could post information relative to the Eau Claire Course or places like HPT (La Crosse) / Levis area? I know that is a contrast in trails, I'm just trying to get a tone on what things will be like at this event.

Thanks!

viva la v-brakes!
    Cam-Rock has much shorter climbs and more wide-open high speed areas than HPT and Levis-Trow. So I would recommend slightly lower gearing. FWIW, I ride my 26"er at 2:1 at Cam-Rock for recreational rides and I tend to spin out in the fields, but the one or two longer climbs are a bit of a challenge, so you probably want a slightly higher gearing if you're racing, and just push harder on the climbs.
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    I have a car. I made a choice. I ride my bike.

mtbr member
    It's a tough call out there for racing. The course starts out with a significant climb (not part of the normal trail) so you'll want something low enough to power up that to get a good lead out and the singletrack is pretty tight so a low gear is helpful for acceleration there too. On the other hand there are lengthy sections of fast open prairie and you'll quickly spin out if you go too low. Personally I'd opt for going a tooth or two lower than my normal everyday gear in order to really work the woods and hills and just accept that there would be some time lost to spinning out in the open sections.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I rode there Sunday on a 29er SS running 34x18 and I believe I did mostly the Comp/Elite course. It wasn't to bad of a gear for that but for racing I'd likely go a tooth or two easier for the climbs, the often tight & slightly technical single track and the multiple laps. I've been told that many of the single track climbs have been taken out for the Sport and Citizen classes; if so I'd stay with the 34x18.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I can push 32:16 at courses like iola and subaru cup, do you think i should go lower??? i ride a 29er by the way.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Depends what class you're racing...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    comp, and this is travis btw sugs haha i think im going for the 32:15 for tomorrow