Wors- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wors

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Wors

I have just started training for my first WORS season. I will be riding in the citizen class.

Who else has done any WORS races or signed up for the whole series?

Any good advice or tips?

clown question, bro
    I did the WORS Big-Ring last year (and will likely give 'er a go this year as well).

My tips from my experience last year:

If you smoke, quit ASAP (I had quit like a week before the race - I was towards the front of the pack for a mile or so but started sucking wind and got passed by almost everybody (raced in first timer as it was my... uhhh... first time))

Don't go out drinking the night before the race. Hungover bicycle racing is not very pleasant.

Pre-ride the course the night before the race but don't spend too much time out there.

Have fun... pretty much everyone was laid-back at the race I was in so it was even more fun that I expected.

mtbr member
    HEY!

I'm also (beginning) training for my first WORS season. I live in Milwaukee, anyone from the area wanna get together for some rides a couple times a week?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I raced in the series last year (my first year). Have fun, pre-ride the course and again have fun. I had a great time, even though I finished in the bottom of the pack (didn't train at all last year, just went for a ride now and then). Oh and it will cost less if you register on-line two-weeks prior to the race (the details are on the site).

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Yeti AS-R Carbon Brand Ambassador XC Team

Hi- I work for Yeti Cycling here in Golden, CO and am currently building a Brand Ambassador, Age-Group XC team around the AS-R Carbon

We have wanted to work with the WORS series for awhile now and I'm looking for riders in your area who are interested in applying for the team. Great pro deal pricing on the AS-R Carbon and tons of other cycling product including a team kit. You don't have to be a top age-grouper but I would like feedback on the bike and the scene out there through regular blogging on our team site.

Let me know if you would like more details or would like to apply for the team!! I don't have enough posts to attach a photo or link but reach out to me and I will get you all of the info.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nramey View Post
    Hi- I work for Yeti Cycling here in Golden, CO and am currently building a Brand Ambassador, Age-Group XC team around the AS-R Carbon

We have wanted to work with the WORS series for awhile now and I'm looking for riders in your area who are interested in applying for the team. Great pro deal pricing on the AS-R Carbon and tons of other cycling product including a team kit. You don't have to be a top age-grouper but I would like feedback on the bike and the scene out there through regular blogging on our team site.

Let me know if you would like more details or would like to apply for the team!! I don't have enough posts to attach a photo or link but reach out to me and I will get you all of the info.
    I'd like some more info. Can't send a pm without 10 posts though

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    @nramey, pm sent

mtbr member
    WORS is great. I've been racing it for 5 seasons or so. Make sure to get as many preseason miles as your body can handle, but don't train to the point of injury. Talk to other riders before the race especially during preride. Getting to know race etiquette key

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Got it. Okay! Well, I will try to rack up 10 posts so I'm able to send you some more information on the team!! sorry about that.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for all the feedback on the WORS series

Sweep the leg!
    Read the WORS handbook.

I did my first race with WORS in 1992. Then I took a long break and started again as a single speeder in 2006. The most important thing you can do once you're there is pre-ride the course. Get to know the trail so you will know what you need to do. Secondly, communicate with the other riders when you're racing. You're not racing for money. It seems there's someone at every race who thinks they're the second coming of JHK or whoever their favorite Pro is. Mostly it has to do with passing and being passed. Announcing you're behind a slower rider and want to get around is the first step, waiting for the the rider in front of you to tell you they're ready to be passed is the second step. Lots of riders think they're clear to pass and they do it in a spot that's not made for two riders and they end up crashing the both of them. That's been happening in the Citizen and Sport class mostly. Not so much in the Comp and rarely in the Elite.

Some blame it on the way Don stages the waves, but it's not within his control once you're on the trail. Your wave will sort itself out fairly quickly, the issues have been when a faster wave overtakes a slower wave. The standard response to being overtaken by a self-important assshole is "if you're as fast as you think it's time for you to upgrade"

Anyhow, Keep it fun. Get there on Saturday and pre-ride. Camp out on site and get to know everyone. Bring beer and food. Again, have fun.

See you there.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Sweep the leg!
    Oh yeah, WORS has its own Forums too...
    Message Board
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Consider camping at the races on Saturday. It makes doing the pre-ride easier if you live far from the course. Create a check list so that you can remember to bring all of your gear before you leave your house. Get a nice road map that has all of the county roads because some of the race courses weren't found with my car's navigation system. Find out if you are near a bike shop that sponsors a team. Many teams include Citizen riders. It makes the sport more fun just because you'll get to know even more people. Plus, the discounts on bikes and components helps save you money too. Have fun. This sport is addicting. I'm on my fourth season with WORS.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=BP302;9100344] Get a nice road map that has all of the county roads because some of the race courses weren't found with my car's navigation system. QUOTE]

What the heck is a road map?! A little tip too that I've found. Sometimes the nav systems will fail. But most of the races will be found by typing in "WORS" into Google Earth (not to be confused with google maps). This may help depending on how smart your smarty phone is

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    One of the very best things about WORS is the people associated with it. Everyone is super friendly and welcoming. Yes, we compete hard, but we are a very supportive community. So bring your best effort, but be prepared to meet and be engaged by some of the best people you'll ever meet.
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poontank View Post
    One of the very best things about WORS is the people associated with it. Everyone is super friendly and welcoming. Yes, we compete hard, but we are a very supportive community. So bring your best effort, but be prepared to meet and be engaged by some of the best people you'll ever meet.
    Well put Mr. Tank We need to get out for some night riding again soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

2 questions

One: is it possible to do a pre-race ride the morning of the race? Camping out isn't really an option, just getting my wife to agree to let me race was hard enough. In most cases I will be doing races in a 3-4 hour drive distance and leaving really early in the morning.

Two: I'm really on the fence on whether to start as a citizen or sport. I'm primarily a recreational roadie but have done the Fat Tire 40 5 times and did a 3:03 last year at the age of 52. My experience on single track is mostly fun trail riding at a decent clip. I emailed Don at WORS and he said it's basically up to me. I know I have the engine to do sport but I am worried about the technical stuff. I suppose I could do citizen at Iola and see how it goes. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    One: is it possible to do a pre-race ride the morning of the race? Camping out isn't really an option, just getting my wife to agree to let me race was hard enough. In most cases I will be doing races in a 3-4 hour drive distance and leaving really early in the morning.

Two: I'm really on the fence on whether to start as a citizen or sport. I'm primarily a recreational roadie but have done the Fat Tire 40 5 times and did a 3:03 last year at the age of 52. My experience on single track is mostly fun trail riding at a decent clip. I emailed Don at WORS and he said it's basically up to me. I know I have the engine to do sport but I am worried about the technical stuff. I suppose I could do citizen at Iola and see how it goes. Thoughts?
    You can preride in the morning if you get there early enough. Once the racing starts, however, you are not allowed on the course (unless of course, you are racing). I, however, would advise against it. You'll waste more energy than you can restore in such a short period IMO. I would think you would be better off just using the first lap of your race as the preride.

If you can do the Fat Tire 40, I think you should race in Sport. If I remember correctly, everyone does the same course at Iola anyway so you don't have to worry about anything being more technical in one class from another. Plus, you'll get more racing for your dollar and your preride won't be half your race See you out there.
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For the Firecracker you'll absolutely want to race Sport. Otherwise, you'll miss out on a lot of great trail we just dialed in! If you can do the Fat 40 you'll be fine. You'll be more than fine - I'm sure you'll do well. I'll be out there lumbering my fat but around in Sport, I'll see you out there.

One thing to be aware of in trying to pre-ride race day are the early morning trail runners.

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by Endo73 View Post
    One thing to be aware of in trying to pre-ride race day are the early morning trail runners.
    Good advice, but that's not at every venue. Trail runs are scheduled at the following WORS events for 2012:
    1) Iola,May6
    2) Wausau, June 3
    3) Eau Claire, June 24 (aka Firecracker)
    4) Franklin, July 15
    5) Suamico, August 26
    6) Lake Geneva, Sept 9

mtbr member
    Doing the Chequamegon in 3:03, to me says go sport.
    You will be scarred for life if you click my avatar

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the feedback guys, I'll sign up for sport and see how it goes. I'll just have to pick up race pointers from my team mates. Most of them race comp and above. The 3:03 at the Cheq 40 isn't fast by most standards but it beat my previous best by 22 minutes so I was pretty stoked at the time. Amazing what more miles and dropping 35 lbs can do for your fitness.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by poontank View Post
    You can preride in the morning if you get there early enough. Once the racing starts, however, you are not allowed on the course (unless of course, you are racing). I, however, would advise against it. You'll waste more energy than you can restore in such a short period IMO. I would think you would be better off just using the first lap of your race as the preride.

If you can do the Fat Tire 40, I think you should race in Sport. If I remember correctly, everyone does the same course at Iola anyway so you don't have to worry about anything being more technical in one class from another. Plus, you'll get more racing for your dollar and your preride won't be half your race See you out there.
    One thing I would add to this response. Be aware that some (not all) of the races have a trail run. Its pretty early and most of us mtn bikers don't pay attention or even know that its going on. But if you want to trail ride before the race you'll want to make sure to note if there is a trail run and make sure to ride before it. At least it will give you extra time to recover before your race starts. FYI Iola(the first race) does have a trail run. Good luck to you

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Sport gives you more time to get to the race too. beats leaving at 4 am to race/ride 10 miles

noob
    Quote Originally Posted by ponath90 View Post
    Sport gives you more time to get to the race too. beats leaving at 4 am to race/ride 10 miles
    yea no kidding. get to sleep in a little bit and ride a little longer.
    2007 Fisher Rig
    2011 Trek Paragon
    2013 Trek Madone 2.1

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I would say to go ahead and pre-ride the day before, don't worry about energy expendature and replacement of said energy. I always knock out out at least a solid 40 mile road ride on the Saturday before a WORS race, it actually helps me out.

clown question, bro
    Anybody here doing Big Ring tomorrow? I'll be the one coming in last in Citizen Clydesdale. Say hi when you pass!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are we just ignoring balls? Lol

mtbr member
    I'll be the one in last place for sport Clydesdale. Cheer for me

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'll be lined up with the 50-59 citizen males and clydes. Iola was my first real singletrack race, this will be my second and then I plan to try Sport at Camrock. Not because I'm blowing out the competition but because I can probably handle the distance and hopefully my handling skills get better with each race. Sounds like the weather is going to be great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I was there. sorry didn't get to see any of you, got to start at the front this time (citizen 30-39)

Members who have read this thread: 0