Wisconsin riders :: Where's it accepted to bring your dog?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

New question here. Wisconsin riders :: Where's it accepted to bring your dog?

My riding partner is my 3 1/2 year old black lab/border collie mix, Luna. If you ride at Quarry Park you might have met her.

Now that it's getting warmer and the trails are drying up I'm thinking of venturing out of Madison on Sunday to ride. I know of many places to go, but where are the dog-friendly trails outside of Madison?

:: the_solo_one ::

mtbr member
    i see people with dogs at blue mounds, it doesnt bother me but it might bother someone else (call before you drive out there cuz it might be still too wet to ride), im not sure about quarry ridge, someone else might chime in that is more help to you

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    As of last weekend Blue Mounds is still closed to bicyclists. What about Cam-Rock? Open/Closed? Anywhere else?

Riding with dogs in the PNW was pretty much accepted where ever you went. Is it the same in WI?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I believe all state parks in WI (Blue Mounds, Kettles, etc.) have a leash law. Typically posted at the trailhead/parklot lot. Once out on the trail, I have seen dogs with and without leashes. Yeah, the law says it's required, but if you can keep your dog under control it's not big deal with me while out on the trail, and don't let it dookie right in the trail either. Rangers do set up random check points in some of the more heavily used parks in SE WI, so be prepared accordingly.

방랑외국인
    check out http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/pets/ for all the rules and regs my friend

I just went hiking today and I couldn't believe the amount of unleased dogs I came accross..about 10. There was one tiny woman with 3 huge unleased dogs running rampant in front of her, one being a huge rot, and I definently was not comfortable and ready to use my walking stick as a weapon just in case!

To be honest, not a fan of unleased dogs, especially when biking as I have had one accident and near a few others due to unleashed dogs, and thus have stopped essentially caring if an unleashed one comes across my path (as this time it's going down, not me!). That being said, if your dog knows how to behave appropriately on the trail you should be fine except maybe higher traffic ones like the s kettles

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I ride with my dog everyday. But I realize that some people have problems with it, so I just avoid them. I ride at sunrise or at night, problem solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    this gives me an excuse to post this clip of the coolest dog ive ever seen

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jGdXcitOUzY&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jGdXcitOUzY&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah, that's cool. I used to ride the Shore with a guy who had a German Shepard puppy named Otto. He learned really quick, and when he'd come up to something too big he'd always run the bail-out line. Pretty sweet stuff.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5
    check out http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/parks/pets/ for all the rules and regs my friend

I just went hiking today and I couldn't believe the amount of unleased dogs I came accross..about 10. There was one tiny woman with 3 huge unleased dogs running rampant in front of her, one being a huge rot, and I definently was not comfortable and ready to use my walking stick as a weapon just in case!

To be honest, not a fan of unleased dogs, especially when biking as I have had one accident and near a few others due to unleashed dogs, and thus have stopped essentially caring if an unleashed one comes across my path (as this time it's going down, not me!). That being said, if your dog knows how to behave appropriately on the trail you should be fine except maybe higher traffic ones like the s kettles
    That's a pretty jackass attitude towards it man. It's not the dogs fault... it's the owners. The fact you would really lay into a dog on your bike is pretty scummy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggidy
    That's a pretty jackass attitude towards it man. It's not the dogs fault... it's the owners. The fact you would really lay into a dog on your bike is pretty scummy.
    I thought the same thing -- just didn't want to make waves...

방랑외국인
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggidy
    No worries about making waves, it's all good solo.

"it's not the dogs fault"...I heard that when I broke my collarbone mtbing due to a dog, I heard that when I was bit both times as a youth as well. I hear it when dogs poop on my lawn, I hear it when I have been pee'd on, bitten, and when neighbor dogs are continually barking throughout the evening/night. I heard it when I crashed my motorcycle due to a dog. A dog is an extension of it's owner, so your statement that it's not the dog's "fault" is irrelevant and not an excuse.

Let me refine my statement that if put in a situation again where it's either my safety or a dogs, I am not going to be the one getting injured just to avoid the dog, and let the chips fall where they may. Does that mean I will "lay" into a dog just because it is in the way? Absoltely not, thats just nonsense.

since I have been on the local trails for the past few years, I would say using a mental tally, that probably only 10-20% of the dogs are leashed. Most are friendly and I stop to pet them...some are not and there is absolutely no excuse for it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm not always happy with a lot of rules but will point out that following them has a lot to do with Blue Mound going from nothing to one of the state's best riding areas. The ranger staff is also new to the park and new to parks with bike trails so it is in the interest of _ALL_ area riders to keep it as it has been where bikers and complaints about have not been a problem of the the rangers.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I've seen dogs on the trails at Levis Mound. They haven't been a problem for me but whether they are dangerous to riders doesn't seem to depend on them being friendly or not. They might just get in the way at bad times. They can also take off on deer scents if not leashed.

Larry

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lgh
    They can also take off on deer scents if not leashed.

Larry

Not if they are well trained. I've been out at dusk with my dog, came across a herd of about 15. We were heading downhill so the dog was off the back, a deer ran between us and she didn't go after it. It's all in the training...

That being said, it took 3 years of intensive training to get to that point, and even I was surprised she didn't go after it. Now if I could just get her to stop jumping on people to say hello
    Disclaimer: I fix bikes for a living.

Members who have read this thread: 0