Wisconsin Dells area single track?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wisconsin Dells area single track?

It looks like most of the information on this board about riding near Wisconsin Dells is a couple years old. I'm heading up there all the way from Texas for a fun filled, no expenses paid week with the in-laws in June. I managed to talk the family into tacking a few weeks in the Western US onto the trip ...yes, I know it is way the F out of the way but I got time to burn. Because I'm planning to log major miles, I am going to keep the bike thing simple and prolly just bring a single speed hard tail. ...I'm not looking for All Mountain type riding, just good old fashion epic single track.

What's near the Dells? And is the cheese really that good up there? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam
    It looks like most of the information on this board about riding near Wisconsin Dells is a couple years old. I'm heading up there all the way from Texas for a fun filled, no expenses paid week with the in-laws in June. I managed to talk the family into tacking a few weeks in the Western US onto the trip ...yes, I know it is way the F out of the way but I got time to burn. Because I'm planning to log major miles, I am going to keep the bike thing simple and prolly just bring a single speed hard tail. ...I'm not looking for All Mountain type riding, just good old fashion epic single track.

What's near the Dells? And is the cheese really that good up there? Thanks in advance.
    Hmm, it seems like the Dells aren't close to many trails.

The closest trails are around Madison: Blue Mound and Cam-Rock are worth the drive. (Blue Mound is difficult on a single speed,) Kettle Moraine South is another hour east and may be out of range. That's going south.

A little farther, to the north, is Standing Rock which is close to Nine-Mile, and a little farther north again is Underdown (difficult on a single speed).

The Dells are within about 1.5 hours of Levis Mound, to the West.

I have to stick up for the cheese, it is plentiful and good. But I'm not sure there's going to be anything you could not find around home.

Possibly more relevant is the beer. Capital American Pale Ale and Maibock are good and inexpensive. Everything from Ale Asylum is good or better, my favorites are Ambergeddon and Hopalicious. Lake Louie has Kiss the Lips IPA which is good. If you get to Blue Mound, stop at the Grumpy Troll for lunch and try their brews.

Walt

mtbr member
    WTH Walt?? You can't find cheese like this in TX, no way. Guaranteed. I used to work down there a lot, and we always would have to bring down cheese for our San Antonio and Dallas staff. The cheese is the best I've had anywhere in the country by a looong shot.

That said, are you heading west from the Dells? Do your options allow you to stop along the way? You'll be heading past the Human Powered Trails at La Crosse if you take 90 west, otherwise what Walt said about those trails near Madison is true. I think Levis would be just about an hour north yet of the Dells, and that has my favorite trail section in the state on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelock
    WTH Walt?? You can't find cheese like this in TX, no way. Guaranteed. I used to work down there a lot, and we always would have to bring down cheese for our San Antonio and Dallas staff. The cheese is the best I've had anywhere in the country by a looong shot.

I think Levis would be just about an hour north yet of the Dells, and that has my favorite trail section in the state on it.
    I've never been to Texas, obviously! Whoda thunk that good cheese could ever be scarce?

Levis is a great ride. The Human Power Trails are much fun too.

Walt

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

beer is the cheese

Quote Originally Posted by wheelock

That said, are you heading west from the Dells? Do your options allow you to stop along the way? You'll be heading past the Human Powered Trails at La Crosse if you take 90 west, otherwise what Walt said about those trails near Madison is true. I think Levis would be just about an hour north yet of the Dells, and that has my favorite trail section in the state on it.
    Actually, I'll be coming in from the west and I have to admit the "Human Powered Trails" sounds intriguing. Is there any camping there? Also, I'm going to have to keep the rest of the family happy, and while the beer and cheese will go a long way, I was wondering if any of the spots mentioned have any riding suitable for the pre-teen set?

Keep in mind, I come from a place where cheese (pronounced queso) is literally a bowl of melted american cheese with a few chiles thrown in to distract you from the fact that you just paid four bucks for something with the consistency of melted plastic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If you're coming from the west I'd recommend cutting through the levis area on your way. it's in neilsville. (not gonna try to spell that right..)

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    as far as biking for the pre-teen set. CamRock and Levis would have some easier riding available. All the way down to grassy doubletrack. Levis is a site to see. The views are spectacular. You can ride to the top of the mounds, on technical trails. The hike to the top would be really worth it for the rest of the family. Meet them for a picnic. Blue Mound is in a contest for hardest trail in the state, and there really is no easy trail there. Though again there are some really nice hiking trails and there is a pool as well.

A good resource for trails in WI. Though the trail mileage at CamRock is way low. We have added a lot of trail there. http://www.fattireguides.com/index.cfm

As for the cheese. You are in for a treat. Fresh cheese curds are a must. They are fresh when they squeak as you chew them. And any decent grocery store will have a plethora of great sharp cheddar's, muenster's, havarti's, etc to temp your tongue. Heck, some convenience stores will even have a few good selections.

Bear
    Cheese curd rules:

1. Never, I repeat Never, purchase cheese curds from a refrigerated case....kills the freshness. Buy them warm from a basket on a counter next to the checkout register.

2. Stop at a cheese factory and buy them fresh.

3. The refrigerated/older ones that don't squeak are exquisite when breaded and fried!
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE I come from a place where cheese (pronounced queso) is literally a bowl of melted american cheese with a few chiles thrown in.[/QUOTE]

See, this is why Wisconsin is so fat. What he calls cheese, we call soup.

mtbr member
    If you take a day at HPT, I've been happily impressed by what LaCrosse has to offer. There are good rail-trails, good hiking routes near the bluffs. and an enjoyable experience downtown.

~Disc~Golf~
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam
    What's near the Dells?...
    Everything!
    Right here in Cali
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMayor1
    Blue Mound is in a contest for hardest trail in the state, and there really is no easy trail there. Though again there are some really nice hiking trails and there is a pool as well.
    Depending on where you've ridden in TX, Ham, Blue Mounds doesn't compare to trails like Flat Rock Ranch, City Park & the Greenbelt in Austin, and other...unmentionable trails. There is some climbing at BMs and some rounded glacial erratic rock, but it doesn't compare to central TX technical. It IS considered technical in WI. (I'm not trying to offend anyone who rides or maintains BMs. (Hi, Walt!) I realize that you have what the terrain offers. I'm not knocking that trail b/c I do like it.)

A little further from CamRock is Kettle Moraine State Park with miles of riding for all abilities. FYI, Cam Rock offers about eight miles of singletrack.

Dewayne

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    WI Dells is about 2.25 hours from Ray's Indoor Mountain Bike Park. Just a thought....

D

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Devils Head ski resort

About 10 miles from the Dells, $7 to ride. Very hilly, (it's a ski hill, duh) some rock gardens and technical stuff. Not sure if it's open yet, it used to be the course for the Badger State games and they have had 24 hour races there in the past. I pretty much don't eat cheese so I am no help there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by highdelll
    Everything!
    Right here in Cali
    Good one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks y'all...keep 'em comin' (Texas accent)

mtbr member
    One thing about Devil's Head...it's sort of becoming a secret stash. The management doesn't really want MTBs there so the trails aren't well marked and I think you'll be disappointed with your experience there.

mtbr member
    My advice was in regards to someone trying to find their way around the trails in their own having never been there before...I think someone like that will be dissappointed.

I really like the trails at DH...I'm just dissappointed in the manangement's attitude towards mountain bikes.

I'm a former Wildside/Moosejaw racer, so I've been involved with maintanance at Devil's Head.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nater
    My advice was in regards to someone trying to find their way around the trails in their own having never been there before...I think someone like that will be dissappointed.

I really like the trails at DH...I'm just dissappointed in the manangement's attitude towards mountain bikes.

Very true. if you don't know someone they are near impossible. management is terrible.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    About 10 miles from the Dells, $7 to ride. Very hilly, (it's a ski hill, duh) some rock gardens and technical stuff. Not sure if it's open yet, it used to be the course for the Badger State games and they have had 24 hour races there in the past. I pretty much don't eat cheese so I am no help there.
    Can I rent a half way decent bike near there or, I suppose, anywhere near the dells?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    Can I rent a half way decent bike near there or, I suppose, anywhere near the dells?
    Three seconds later, I'm back with my own answer
    We offer a selection of Trek and Gary Fisher mountain bikes.
    Adult Bike Rental $20.00/Per Day (Helmet Included)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If that rental is from Wildside you are all set. Great shop run by good guys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by robc in wi View Post
    If that rental is from Wildside you are all set. Great shop run by good guys.
    I've hit a few snags, so any help is good. I had planned to do Devils' Head, but they are closed until the 29th for the Muddy Buddy foot race.

Wildside does not rent bikes, but said I could rent bikes in Reedsville and ride the 400. To be honest, I don't get on a roadbike for anything under a couple of hours and the 400 --strangely enough --is only 22 miles point to point. Anything else?

=========
    the 400 connects with the elroy sparta, which connects with the lacrosse river trail, which connects with the great river trail....that should take you into your target area of time.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yep, I did a road ride with the manager of Wildside this morning and heard the trails at Devils Head were closed. Unfortunately they don't have trail maintenance relationship with Devils Head this year. Elroy/Sparta trail is fun but if you are doing road rides the rural roads around Baraboo and Reedsburg are the bomb. Hills in every direction and very little traffic. The GRABAWR riders over nighted here in Baraboo last night and started their lengthy ride to Muscoda by climbing over the Baraboo range and riding the ferry across Lake Wisconsin. Sorry about the wrong info, I thought that Wildside did rentals. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    On a lark --and with 15 in-laws in tow --I went out to Mirror Lake for some goodly riding. The rental bikes are laughable but I guess that just makes it more of a challenge. We had a decent streak of 100+ degree days back in San Antonio, so I do appreciate the weather here. I still have not been able to get my fill of beer and cheese yet, but I had some car trouble and had to set out of foot to scavenge for local fair last night.

Any decent food along the "400" or other connecting trails ...especially in Reedsburg? Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had an awesome time in WI ...here is a small report on the WI 400 ride I did.

mtbr member
    Sorry to revive an old thread but there may be a family re-union in the dells summer 12'. Anywhere a
    colorado kid can ride?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It really comes down to whether or not you get to bring a bike. I had planned to drive, but had to fly there due to weather conditions. I couldn't rent any actual mountain bikes anywhere.

Renting a bike from the Reedsburg Chamber of Commerce and riding 80 miles of rail-2-trail was the highlight for me. I would even go so far as to say it was one of my top 10 rides of the year.

Don't forget the beer and cheese.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by toHELLuRIDE View Post
    Sorry to revive an old thread but there may be a family re-union in the dells summer 12'. Anywhere a
    colorado kid can ride?
    Nothing right there. But a lot within an hours drive. Levis, Blue Mound, HPT....
    Biggest issue is probably if you need to rent. Not from the area but don't know of anywhere local. The closest I know of is 20 minutes south at Wildside in Baraboo. You could check out renting from their shop.

Members who have read this thread: 0