Winter Riding at Cuyuna- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Winter Riding at Cuyuna

Any info on riding Cuyuna in the winter?

What areas will be open once there is snow?

How many miles of trail are available in the winter?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here is some information that was posted on the MORC website:

Hey all. I wanted to pass this info on to you. This is a email from our land manager Steve Webber (2011 MORC Land Manager of the Year).

Greetings,

I would like to give you all a brief update on the trails at the Cuyuna Country SRA.

First, the regular mountain bike trails closed for the season on November 3. We have that information on our website and on the office phone. They will open again next spring to biking. They will be available for snowshoeing when we get enough snow. I have established a small group of folks to help me explore possible winter uses of the summer trails. So we may see some winter activity on those trails in the future but probably not this year.

Secondly, we have developed a winter fat bike trail system in the Sagamore Unit. We have 11 trails with 10 miles of riding. It is a totally different experience than the summer trails. It is a slow meandering trail in the woods following a lot of old mining roads. That should be open in the very near future. The trail can also be used by folks on snow shoes. Hikers and motorized users are not allowed to use the winter fat bike trails. We do plan on grooming it once we get enough snow.

Please call or email with any questions.

Thanks and think snow.

Steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So are these winter trails open right now? Is there any snow up there? I've got the entire week off between XMas and New Years and would consider a road trip with the Fatty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST View Post
    So are these winter trails open right now? Is there any snow up there? I've got the entire week off between XMas and New Years and would consider a road trip with the Fatty.
    I am sure they are open. No snow in MN except in the NE corner. Doesn't look like much of a chance for snow between now and then either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    As far as know, the trails will not open till the white stuff falls.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST View Post
    Umm.. the Land Manager was just quoted stating the trails are closed until spring. That sounds pretty clear to me. Yeah no snow may be up there, but hunting, freeze/thaw conditions, etc. may be a factor that the Land Manager has taken into account with the closure. I'd suggest contacting them before assuming it's okay to ride just because there is no snow. Remember your actions reflect on all bikers.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wi1trackrider View Post
    Umm.. the Land Manager was just quoted stating the trails are closed until spring. That sounds pretty clear to me. Yeah no snow may be up there, but hunting, freeze/thaw conditions, etc. may be a factor that the Land Manager has taken into account with the closure. I'd suggest contacting them before assuming it's okay to ride just because there is no snow. Remember your actions reflect on all bikers.
    Umm....my post was clearly asking about the "winter trails". I read the Land Managers memo and understand the rest of the trail system is closed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    The singletrack is closed until spring at this time. The winter trails are in a separate unit of the state recreation area and are now open to riding per my conversation with the land manager today. When there is snow there will be a more official grand opening.