Wi trail recommendation?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2014

Wi trail recommendation?

I'm a newbie to this passion myself and have only been to Hartman's Creek and Green Bay Reforestation trails. I enjoyed both, Hartman more so then GB.

I've realized that I enjoy cornering at higher speeds and just going fast in general, all while zipping by trees. As far as a downside, I really don't enjoy going back and forth constantly in a small area. To me, it feels like I'm just not going anywhere.

I know beggars can't be choosers, but if anyone knows of a trail in wi that has the characteristics I've described please let me know. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I live in central WI around Point and I frequently hit the surrounding trails. Most are still closed right now so just an fyi.

I think Hartman creek is pretty fast and flowy. Once the leaves get off the trail it will be even faster.

A few more to try that I really enjoy.

9 mile up by Wausau. Has a little of everything, technical rocky single track along with some pretty fast stuff. Very fun trail, but be warned the map is a little goofy, it helps to go with someone who rides it often.

Standing rocks, though it may have a few more twists than you would like is right on the way to either levis or 9 mile for you so it may be worth a shot.

Levis mound, definelty one to check out.

Theres others out there as well, the above are just the trails within an hour of me that I tend to frequent.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thank you for the reply. I'm definitely going to try to hit everything within 90 miles of me this summer. 9 mile is on my list this year and I've heard some scary things about standing rocks. I may reserve that one for later. Never heard of Levi's though, I'll add that one to the list as we'll.

Have you been to either lowes, ravens or john muir. My online research is steering me into one of those locations. Thank you again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Greenbush trails in Greenbush, WI are some of my favorites and fit your requirements. Kettle Moraine North trails - Wisconsin DNR

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxvalleybegginer View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I'm definitely going to try to hit everything within 90 miles of me this summer. 9 mile is on my list this year and I've heard some scary things about standing rocks. I may reserve that one for later. Never heard of Levi's though, I'll add that one to the list as we'll.

Have you been to either lowes, ravens or john muir. My online research is steering me into one of those locations. Thank you again.

Lowe's Creek is an excellent ride and meets much of what you're looking for, though it includes trails that are more technical than what you would see at the Camp or at Hartman Creek. It's a system that you can ride fast, which, like you, is something that I favor.

Standing Rocks has sections you would really like, some others you probably would not. There are some rock gardens that can be intimidating to some riders and some tight switchbacks, as well.

Nine Mile might be preferable, but again, there are trails that will suit you and some more technical trails that won't.

Out of the three of those, Lowe's fits your criteria best. I would add that everyone should go to Levis at least once.

I need skills
    Jul 2004
    Levis is awesome and open. Other very nice trails within your travel frame are Nicolet Roche, (about an hour away) and Washburn (about 1.5 hours away).

Both of the above trails are closed until May 15th. The ground is very soft and bikes will damage the trail surface. But, you will greatly enjoy them.
    you say you are a newbie and you like to go fast. Please don't skid tires on the downhills, or ride wet conditions on the Roche.
    thanks.
    Last edited by cjohnson; 05-07-2014 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Levi's Mound is where it's at. Hitting it up this weekend weather permitting.

2001leviscover.html