Bear

WI ride April 24th and 25th

www.ballsride.blogspot.com

16 registered.

Room for 50.

mtbr member
    My 8's aren't big enough for that [cower]

=========
    Is there a way to work out a half size version of this route? Like a half a ball ride? Back to back, gravel half centuries would probably cripple me, but I'd like to give it a try.

mtbr member
    LMAO!

I'll tag along if you have space, Gomez.

mtbr member
    G, sure there is. You just either have drop a car in Brodhead if you want to do the first day, or get one near the finish in Barneveld or MH area if you want to do the second day.

If you want to do the first, drop your vehicle in Brodhead and I'll come get you. You can crash at my place on Friday night.

C'mon, it'll be fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~
    Back to back, gravel half centuries...
    By the way, to avoid confusion...

Day one is approximately 100 miles
    Day two is approximately 70 miles

=========
    I'm plotting a lazy gomez version....
    Last edited by ~gomez~; 03-03-2010 at 12:08 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~
    I'm plotting a lazy gomez version....
    Uncle Gomez's Juan Pelota Ride!
    Last edited by DekerfTeamST; 03-03-2010 at 02:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    G, with all the miles you've been putting on the pugsinator this winter you should be able to handle two balls no problem. A skinny tired mtb will feel like a roadbike.

I'm throwing this ride around in my head as well.

=========
    I think 50 would hurt just right.

After a hundred you may just have to dig a shallow grave for me.

g

mtbr member
    I'd be very down if I were not already engaged that weekend. I hope everyone has a safe and fun ride

mtbr member
    please uncle G ?????????????

Down South Yooper
    As of tonight, I have two open seats with rack space for a ride back to Madison after the first day of riding, possibly three if we pack 'em tight. I can only do the first day, so someone (who is riding the 2nd day only) will be driving my truck down to the finish of the century.

PM me or send me an email to arrange.

plumster 'at' gmail.com

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

VENI VEDI BIKI
    As much as I am tempted to try this, I must confess I am not exactly in cycling shape after this winter. I might very well be found floating in a river clipped into my bike a week later somewhere in Illinois.

Out of curiosity, what kind of bikes do people usually use on this? It looks like it is all gravel rails-to-trails type riding. I do not own a proper cross bike. Looks like a MTB with fattires would be overkill. I've got a fixed gear and a single speed that I could use to slap on some 28 slicks, but that probably wouldn't work if there are some offroad portions.

Please help with my assisted suicide decision........

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    If I attend I'll be riding a MTB. Maybe switch to some lower rolling resistance tires. I'd rather be comfortable than get the crap beat out of me. Early spring some of those rail trails can have alot of eroded areas from spring run off. Besides I don't have a cross bike either!

Bear

bikes and such...

Last year the cycling rail trails were in pretty good shape. A little spnogy in spots but a cross bike could handle them beautifully. The multi-use rail trails (ATV trails) were a crapshoot. Some stretches were ok but a lot were awful. It wasn't that any one section was uber-awful but it sure added up after 45 miles. Basically it was chunky rock alternating with sand, then with gravel, then with mud, then with rock.

Don't start thinking it's beyond your reach. Last year eleven people completed day one (104 miles) and I believe it was the first ever century for five of them. A long day? Yes. Tough pace? Nope. Definitely a ride where persistence pays off.

On to bike choice. I was riding a Salsa Fargo with 2.1" vulpines and it was fantastic. A cross bike would have been great for 65% of the ride. We saw everthing from touring bikes to 4" FS Trek Fuel's last year and everybody seemed to be in good spirits afterward.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker
    As much as I am tempted to try this, I must confess I am not exactly in cycling shape after this winter. I might very well be found floating in a river clipped into my bike a week later somewhere in Illinois.

Out of curiosity, what kind of bikes do people usually use on this? It looks like it is all gravel rails-to-trails type riding. I do not own a proper cross bike. Looks like a MTB with fattires would be overkill. I've got a fixed gear and a single speed that I could use to slap on some 28 slicks, but that probably wouldn't work if there are some offroad portions.

I rode a cross bike last year and with hindsight I would choose an MTB, but that was just because the trials were sandy soft on that day. The group rode a pretty even mix of cross, touring, and mountain bikes. A singlespeed would probably be fine because the route is very very flat, doing it fixed would be manly. I'm only able to do the ride back this year and I still haven't decided what to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    So does the ride on Sunday finish at the same location that the ride starts Saturday morning? Could I sleep in the back of my Jeep Friday night at the start location? Finally does the group try to stay together throughout the day? I'm sure the group splinters up some but is this a "no man, or lady of course, left behind" type ride?

VENI VEDI BIKI
    Quote Originally Posted by brassnipples
    I rode a cross bike last year and with hindsight I would choose an MTB, but that was just because the trials were sandy soft on that day. The group rode a pretty even mix of cross, touring, and mountain bikes. A singlespeed would probably be fine because the route is very very flat, doing it fixed would be manly. I'm only able to do the ride back this year and I still haven't decided what to ride.

I should clarify--both my fixed and ss are road bikes. I did a metric on the fixie last year, so doing it flat would not be an issue....terrain/tire choice was my concern. Sounds like I would be in trouble if it is wet.

I do not have a functioning MTB at the moment. I am rebuilding my old Gary Fisher Wahoo with a rigid fork.....it might be done in time..... It will be running 2.1 velociraptor in back and a 2.3 wierwolf up front. I still have the crap 1.95 bontragers that came with the bike i could use....

Bear

Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    So does the ride on Sunday finish at the same location that the ride starts Saturday morning? Could I sleep in the back of my Jeep Friday night at the start location? Finally does the group try to stay together throughout the day? I'm sure the group splinters up some but is this a "no man, or lady of course, left behind" type ride?

Finishes at the same location as the start. I have one futon available, one couch available, and lots of floor space if you need a place to crash on Friday night. You can't get any closer to the starting line than that! Heck I'll probably even get up and throw some grub together for whoever is crashed at my place.

The group basically split into two last year. I'll hand out a few "route suggestion" cards...they'll be rough but the route is easy to follow. Nobody really hammered last year. You won't get dropped if that is a concern. Certainly a social ride.

Bear

Down South Yooper
    Quote Originally Posted by skankingbiker

I'm riding a Fargo as well, either 1.7 or 2.1" bontrager XDX tires, haven't decided yet, and I'll likely leave my fenders on, based on the pictures from prior trips. If it really starts to dry out between now and the ride, maybe smaller tires w/out fenders, if it stays wet-ish, probably larger tires w/fenders.

My only concern about the smaller tires is getting into long stretches of soft sand type stuff where the extra floatation/footprint of a 2.1 would be beneficial, the weight difference between the two isn't that big.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good eh!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That sounds cool. I may take you up on the floor space offer. You don't have any feline do ya? I'm super allergic to them damn things. Eyes, nose, throat everything swells up. Anyway I can't make a decision until after the 24th of this month. I'll know if I'll have the weekend open by then. Do you think spots will still be available by that date.

Bear

Feline's

You won't fare well in my house. Two cats and a large dog.

Tent space in the yard!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sbaryenbruch
    You won't fare well in my house. Two cats and a large dog.

Tent space in the yard!
    Sounds good. Tent or Jeep it is. I've learned to plan ahead in regards to the critters. Nothing like waking up for a 100 mile ride looking like, and feeling like, you have the mumps or somethin' !

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DekerfTeamST
    Anyway I can't make a decision until after the 24th of this month. I'll know if I'll have the weekend open by then. Do you think spots will still be available by that date.
    I'm sure there will still be plenty of spots left by then.

VENI VEDI BIKI
    I signed up. May god have mercy on my body .........and my bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0