Who's ridden the Trek Trails in Waterloo?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Who's ridden the Trek Trails in Waterloo?

I've got an invite to get a tour of the Trek facility and then ride the Trek trails next week in Waterloo. Needless to say, I'm pretty stoked.

Has anyone ridden those trails? What can I expect?
    Don't take anything I say seriously.

mtbr member
    They real nice, yo
    Last edited by Bobby12many; 10-08-2018 at 01:06 PM. Reason: redaction of oversharing

mtbr member
    Thanks for the description. Most of that stuff is WAY beyond my meager skeelz (not like that will stop me from trying). I'm looking forward to the bloody knees and elbows!

Yeah, the tour is just as exciting to me as the riding. I'm kind of a roadie, too, so I'm really looking forward to seeing Project One.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle7775
    Thanks for the description. Most of that stuff is WAY beyond my meager skeelz (not like that will stop me from trying). I'm looking forward to the bloody knees and elbows!

Yeah, the tour is just as exciting to me as the riding. I'm kind of a roadie, too, so I'm really looking forward to seeing Project One.
    You will not be disappointed.

You will be surrounded by OCLV the minute you walk in the door

Will you be attending the Trek World Show this weekend?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Bobby, are these trails open to the public?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSMITH
    Bobby, are these trails open to the public?
    you must be accompanied by a trek employee who has a trail pass in their possession.
    one guest per outing

=========
    It's like Trek World or something this week....all the dealers are invited up to preview the 2011 line.
    Last edited by ~gomez~; 08-06-2010 at 04:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks for the info Bobby.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12many
    Will you be attending the Trek World Show this weekend?
    I wish.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~
    It's like Trek World or something this week....all the dealers are invited up to preview the 2011 line.

It isnt "like" Trek World. it IS Trek World 2011.

Ill take pics at the show and share with you guys

=========
    I gotta stop posting after I have a few beers.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ~gomez~
    I gotta stop posting after I have a few beers.....
    I would never be on MTBR if that were the case

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I pass through Waterloo everyday on my way to work, is that show open to the public?? I stopped there for the first time this past week for a tour but they said it will probably be later this month.

I saw alot of bikes there tonight on my way back

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    If you get to ride the trails during Trek World, stop by the trail head tent and say "Hi" to me...bald guy wearing Carhartt pants. I should be around there unless I'm out building something new.

D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rzlite
    I pass through Waterloo everyday on my way to work, is that show open to the public??

No, this is the annual dealer show rolling out the 2011 product. Not open to the public.

mtbr member
    Follow up on this thread:

I was in bed all last week with bronchitis, but no matter how sick I was, I was NOT missing the tour/trail ride up at Trek. We went on Friday, just as they were offloading all of the crazy stuff from the Trek World Show/loading up other trucks for factory demo tours. That ALONE was almost worth the trip!

The tour was ridiculous. From the "Lance Wall" to the "team room," I had a bad case of perma-grin for the whole thing. Hell, even the employees' bikes (stashed all over the place) were a veritable "what's what" of Trek-made carbon fiber superbikes. As for the corporate culture? Let's just say that I was looking up the "career opportunities" page on the Trek website the day after I got back!

It rained while we were in the factory, but it cleared up in time for our ride. We were only on the trails for less than an hour, and I couldn't go very hard because of the bronchitis, but the trails are well-built and were in decent shape, despite being pretty greasy from the rain and beat down from heavy use during the Trek World show. I took a couple spills due to the mud/lack of skillz, but nothing too bad. Not too aerobically challenging, but all of the obstacles, stunts and features were grade A quality. I guess they have a full time trailbuilder on staff who maintains the trails.

We went to the "MT" Bar in Waterloo after getting cleaned up from the trails for beers and burgers, while the skies above opened up again and deluged the entire area with thunderstorms and tornado warnings. We were happy that the weather had cleared just long enough to get our ride in.

All in all, a great day despite the rain/illness. If you ever have the chance to do the factory tour at Trek, it is a really fun way to spend the morning.

mtbr member

I was in bed all last week with bronchitis, but no matter how sick I was, I was NOT missing the tour/trail ride up at Trek. We went on Friday, just as they were offloading all of the crazy stuff from the Trek World Show/loading up other trucks for factory demo tours. That ALONE was almost worth the trip!

The tour was ridiculous. From the "Lance Wall" to the "team room," I had a bad case of perma-grin for the whole thing. Hell, even the employees' bikes (stashed all over the place) were a veritable "what's what" of Trek-made carbon fiber superbikes. As for the corporate culture? Let's just say that I was looking up the "career opportunities" page on the Trek website the day after I got back!

It rained while we were in the factory, but it cleared up in time for our ride. We were only on the trails for less than an hour, and I couldn't go very hard because of the bronchitis, but the trails are well-built and were in decent shape, despite being pretty greasy from the rain and beat down from heavy use during the Trek World show. I took a couple spills due to the mud/lack of skillz, but nothing too bad. Not too aerobically challenging, but all of the obstacles, stunts and features were grade A quality. I guess they have a full time trailbuilder on staff who maintains the trails.

We went to the "MT" Bar in Waterloo after getting cleaned up from the trails for beers and burgers, while the skies above opened up again and deluged the entire area with thunderstorms and tornado warnings. We were happy that the weather had cleared just long enough to get our ride in.

All in all, a great day despite the rain/illness. If you ever have the chance to do the factory tour at Trek, it is a really fun way to spend the morning.

Last edited by Bobby12many; 10-08-2018 at 01:09 PM.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Not too aerobically challenging, but all of the obstacles, stunts and features were grade A quality. I guess they have a full time trailbuilder on staff who maintains the trails.
    That'd be me. I'm the full time trail manager, i.e. design, build, and maintain.

Love my job!

D

방랑외국인
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti View Post
    That'd be me. I'm the full time trail manager, i.e. design, build, and maintain.

Love my job!

D
    Is there anyway to ride the trails if not working in the bike industry?

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by motard5 View Post
    Is there anyway to ride the trails if not working in the bike industry?
    Last time I was working at Trek (2014,) one had to be an employee or an invited and accompanied guest to access the trail facilities.

D

SR Suntour
    May 2006
    If you have a kid who rides or are a NICA coach you could maybe preride the race course there in October: Race Schedule & Flyers – Wisconsin High School Cycling League
    SR Suntour guru. envelo rep.

http://www.instagram.com/darkins44

Members who have read this thread: 0