Where to ride?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Where to ride?

mtbr member

Where to ride?

So now that the race season has ended, I have some freedom to ride wherever I want. But before I make a multi hour trip I want to check with you guys. I want to go ride at either Nordic Mountain in Mt Morris, WI or at the 9 mile forest in Wausau, WI. Has anyone been out to either of these lately? I want to know if the trails are clear and maintained still.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Nine Mile closes for the season on Oct 15th every year, but nearby Standing Rocks trails in Plover are open for another month (Nov 16th). Best to call the hotline before you go to Standing Rocks though as they close the trails if conditions are wet. 715-824-3949

The Underdown in Lincoln Co. and Nicolet Roche in Langlade Co. are also excellent rides.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 47flattie View Post
    Nine Mile closes for the season on Oct 15th every year, but nearby Standing Rocks trails in Plover are open for another month (Nov 16th). Best to call the hotline before you go to Standing Rocks though as they close the trails if conditions are wet. 715-824-3949

The Underdown in Lincoln Co. and Nicolet Roche in Langlade Co. are also excellent rides.
    You might want to add the steady improvements at Washburn Lake to your list. I believe there was a recent post on RASTA Facebook page saying leaf blowing was done. My favorite is riding it clockwise from west trail head, take the fork toward Perch Lake, loop within, back by Perch Lake, then finish the outer loop. I would describe it as a small Blue Mound meets Kettles. The new trail work flows better and addresses all the important and fun stuff like fall line and slope and the builders deserve a lot of credit for their efforts.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bitflogger View Post
    You might want to add the steady improvements at Washburn Lake to your list. I believe there was a recent post on RASTA Facebook page saying leaf blowing was done. My favorite is riding it clockwise from west trail head, take the fork toward Perch Lake, loop within, back by Perch Lake, then finish the outer loop. I would describe it as a small Blue Mound meets Kettles. The new trail work flows better and addresses all the important and fun stuff like fall line and slope and the builders deserve a lot of credit for their efforts.
    Thats a bit far for me. I'm coming from the Milwaukee area

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    My son and I were at Nordic mountain two weeks ago, trails are open and clear. We own a home up there, so if you have any questions or are looking for motels, etc. pm me please.
    Carlton

Bear
    Cam-Rock
    www.madcitydirt.org - All things dirt in Madison, WI
    [

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Non Crimen View Post
    My son and I were at Nordic mountain two weeks ago, trails are open and clear. We own a home up there, so if you have any questions or are looking for motels, etc. pm me please.
    Carlton
    So that was you I saw there.
    Yeah, I typically ride the downhill trails, and have been doing some work on them, and keeping them clear for the most part. Someone has been blowing off the XC trails, but that was before a lot of the leaves fell. I think they would still be alright though. They are fun trails for sure.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses guys. Looks like I'm heading up to Mt Morris this weekend. Glad to hear the trails are still being maintained. I would hate to drive all that way to not be able to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If you do head to Nordic Mt. I would suggest starting behind the Wake Park. From the parking lot, head to the left of the pond, and up the short hill to the trees. At the top of the hill, take a left, and shortly after that you should start seeing the signs. What type of bike will you be riding? My buddy rips most of the DH trails on a 120mm Stumpjumper. I wouldnt recommend it, but a lot of them can be done on a shorter travel "AM"ish bike. What day are you heading up?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottvt View Post
    If you do head to Nordic Mt. I would suggest starting behind the Wake Park. From the parking lot, head to the left of the pond, and up the short hill to the trees. At the top of the hill, take a left, and shortly after that you should start seeing the signs. What type of bike will you be riding? My buddy rips most of the DH trails on a 120mm Stumpjumper. I wouldnt recommend it, but a lot of them can be done on a shorter travel "AM"ish bike. What day are you heading up?

Yeah, I'm not doing any of the DH course there. I might do some of the super d track. But I am a XC rider. I know my way around there pretty well from racing there over the years. I have a 29er HT

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Hey, Scott, were you the one on the DH bike when we cruised through the lot in my wife's Jeep Commander to look at your bike?
    Family has owned our home there since 1942, can you believe it was our first time bringing bikes up there? We generally wakeboard on the lake, but are slowly expanding our horizons.
    We had a blast.

mtbr member
    I think I heard someone talking about Mt. Morris at a group ride...Don't they have lift access there?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Non Crimen View Post
    Hey, Scott, were you the one on the DH bike when we cruised through the lot in my wife's Jeep Commander to look at your bike?
    Yup, that was me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
    I think I heard someone talking about Mt. Morris at a group ride...Don't they have lift access there?
    They do, but the lifts only run a couple times per year. One time would be the race weekend, and another for the "Freeride Day". You wouldn't need lifts for the XC trails, and if your going to ride the DH trails, its not a horrible hike up to the top.