What's good in Minnesota?- Mtbr.com
    Mountain Dew enthusiest

What's good in Minnesota?

I live in Des Moines and I want to go somewhere to MTB this summer. With gas prices, getting to Colorado might be out of the question. I've heard there is some good riding up in Minnesota. Maybe even some downhill near Red WIng? I'll do most riding: XC, AM, FR, DH; but my dad is more into XC. Where should we go? Is Red Wing any good?
    wishes Iowa had mountains

'11 Transition Bottlerocket frankenbuild
    '09 Origin-8 Interrogator frankenbuild
    '80 Rumme

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Check out www.morcmtb.org You will be able to get all your answers there.

Witty McWitterson
    Minneapolis/St. Paul has great riding in numerous spots. Red Wing is super fun. Winona is has nice variety too. Red Wing and Winona are closer to you, but out of the way if you're headed to Mpls. Why not save some more $$ and head to Decorah a few times? They've got sweet, sweet trail there, well worth exploring a few times. Or you could head further north to the Chequamegon area and really let loose. Bring bug dope though.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I am a fan of Winona.
    Smooth

Mountain Dew enthusiest
    I've heard there are some lift accessed downhill trails about 2 hrs from the Twin Cities. Is this right? If so, where are they?
    wishes Iowa had mountains

'11 Transition Bottlerocket frankenbuild
    '09 Origin-8 Interrogator frankenbuild
    '80 Rumme

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I don't know of any in Minnesota that has a lift.
    Smooth

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Upset

Quote Originally Posted by alex55
    I've heard there are some lift accessed downhill trails about 2 hrs from the Twin Cities. Is this right? If so, where are they?

That would be in Lutsen,MN at Lutsen MTN. They NO LONGER allow mtbing of ANY kind and the lifts are only available for hikers or sightseers (during the skiing offseason). This is a very, very unfortunate loss for MN and out of state cyclists. Yet another of the few remaining places where mtbing access is allowed gone. Ridiculous! They keep building us paved trails though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ~martini~
    Minneapolis/St. Paul has great riding in numerous spots. Red Wing is super fun. Winona is has nice variety too. Red Wing and Winona are closer to you, but out of the way if you're headed to Mpls. Why not save some more $$ and head to Decorah a few times? They've got sweet, sweet trail there, well worth exploring a few times. Or you could head further north to the Chequamegon area and really let loose. Bring bug dope though.
    +1 on the Decorah trails. If you're looking for some good singletrack in the state and you're headed north you should stop there for sure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I would recomend a road trip of decorah, la crosse, winona and red wing.

Red Wing is my standard ride and is great, but relatively smooth. Great climbing and a DH trail for you if you're brave.

Winona is a great trail with a huge climb, rocky terrain and some awesome views. Definately arrange to meet someone familiar the trails. Very rugged and somewhat confusing.

LaCrosse has been blessed with phenomenal terrain for biking and the trail builders have doen a great job of getting the most out of it.

Not to rip the cities but afton is the only metro trail with elevation worth mentioning, Not to say that you wouldn't have fun on the trails, I would hold Lacrosse up to any trail in the metro

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Duh-luth
    That would be in Lutsen,MN at Lutsen MTN. They NO LONGER allow mtbing of ANY kind and the lifts are only available for hikers or sightseers (during the skiing offseason). This is a very, very unfortunate loss for MN and out of state cyclists. Yet another of the few remaining places where mtbing access is allowed gone. Ridiculous! They keep building us paved trails though.

I agree.....................anybody know the lame reason Lutsen MTN decided to close the area to mtbing ? TIG.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Any insight on where the DH trails are in Red Wing? I live in St. Paul and would like to get down there.

Thanks

dumb ass
    Quote Originally Posted by TIGMAN
    I anybody know the lame reason Lutsen MTN decided to close the area to mtbing ? TIG.
    this is off topic and has been discussed elsewhere but here's lutsen's response to your question--

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us regarding our recent announcement to forego bike park operations at Lutsen Mountains. The group that bikes here has been loyal to us over the years and is passionate about their sport. I would like to take this opportunity to respond to your comments and though I know that what follows is not the answer that you may have been hoping for, I am confident that you will better understand our decision and that you will find my response to be conclusive.

Our decision to discontinue the mountain biking operation was based on two factors – (1) high costs relative to revenue driven by increasingly high insurance costs, and (2) environmental concerns.

From its earliest days, the mountain biking operation has been a marginal business. Each year we made changes to try to make it work more profitably, but while the business was steady, it never grew to the size necessary to meet the high expenses involved in this operation. Insuring against claims has been a large and increasing cost. These costs are influenced by frivolous and/or exaggerated claims made against us and other ski area operators with mountain bike parks. The history of claims at many parks is quite sobering. Severe bike accidents often result in substantial settlements with ski areas even in cases where the rider was just going too fast – owners are too scared of a “run away jury” to risk going to trial where the injuries are severe and the medical and other costs are high. This irrational legal climate makes small operations like our bike park financially untenable unless revenue is very large. We have not been able to generate the kind of large revenue required to pay these costs.

This decision was also influenced by environmental concerns. The Poplar River has been listed as “impaired” by the MPCA due to excess sediment and the MPCA and EPA are currently engaged in a TMDL study to measure impacts and to establish a roadmap for remedial efforts. This sediment comes from many natural sources such as streambed incision and river-bank slumps, but some of the sediment comes from upland sources such as trails. While each bike trail individually may not generate a lot of sediment runoff, cumulatively the effect is larger. Additional land impacts of this operation include the ATV traffic from lift operations and trail maintenance personnel. The cumulative effect of the elimination of these impacts may be material because of the highly sensitive geologic conditions of the watershed, which includes steep slopes, high river gradients, highly-erodible soil types, and very high river flows and water velocities in spring and following large rain events.

Lutsen Mountains has been very proactive in addressing environmental concerns. In 2005 we joined with other landowners in the watershed to form the Poplar River Management Board (“PRMB”) to address water quality concerns in the lower watershed. We encourage you to view our website to learn more about the activities of the PRMB at poplarriverboard.com. The PRMB has raised $400,000 in grants to fix a huge natural river slump that contributes about 25% of the annual sediment load of the River. In addition to the efforts of the PRMB, the ski area individually has undertaken many large and expensive stormwater and erosion-control measures to improve water quality. One priority has been to eliminate unnecessary roads and other unvegetated areas. The restoration of the bike park, and ATV roads related to that operation, will be a part of that priority.

Additionally, I would like to address your comments more completely. 1)The high cost of insurance did influence our decision. To be clear though, the annual cost of a liability insurance policy is not the only cost to be taken into consideration. The very real threat of claims that exceed an area’s policy limits and the huge impact that any claims have on the overall ski area premiums, not just the bike portion of our premium, make the operation of a bike park under the constraints unworkable. 2) Designing our trails differently may lessen the impact of our trails on the environment but it would not eliminate it. 3) The relative number of guests that patronize our bike park has unfortunately, historically been slight but the park requires significant management resources. However though slight, the number of guests is not insignificant to us, which is why we have kept the operation going for a number years despite the small numbers but feel we can no longer justify the significant management resources required to operate the park. We plan to concentrate those resources devoted to bike park management in the past more fully to our core business which is alpine skiing. We feel confident that this reallocation of resources will better satisfy our guests expectations.

There are many other mountain biking options on the North Shore and we hope you will visit these areas. Check out americasnorthcoast.org and northshorevisitor.com for more information about these options. There are fewer and fewer pristine places like the North Shore left in the world and we are working to preserve it for future generations. We hope you will support our efforts and will continue to enjoy the scenic and natural beauty of the North Shore whether on a mountain bike, on skis, in a canoe, or on foot.

Kind Regards,

Brienne Moody
    Executive Project Manager
    Lutsen Mountains
    [email protected]
    Baby seal walks into a club.

Witty McWitterson
    Quick bury our heads in the sand! Our problems will go away!

:rollseyes:
    Just a regular guy.

Members who have read this thread: 0