wet cheq fattire 40- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

wet cheq fattire 40

Looks like possibly a rainy spell before the race ... any racers experienced on the fattire 40have suggestions for a tire good for this race in wet conditions? I usually run python airlights but want to have something else available as a wet weather alternative....

thx Ian

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    The long range forecast I looked at showed only a chance of showers a couple of days before the race. If they get a lot of rain the week before the race most of the course will dry out and there will some large bodies of standing water which most people will try to ride around. Last year it rained during the later stages of the race and unless you were an elite and finished in under 2.5 hours it got pretty nasty. Sorry, no recommendations for tires. I ride the same tires for everything.

Trail Hessian

The lower the knobs, the better...

I rode it last year and robc is right, it was slimy towards the end. I had Stans Crow in the back and Bonty Jones Team issue in the front, both tubeless and they worked. I'd fishtail in some spots, but for the most part they worked. It's so sandy around there that the rain soaks in pretty well.
    Don't sweat it, just run any low knob tire and you'll be fine. I didn't get in this year, but if I had I'd run the same setup.

Have fun with it, Mosspiglet.
    That's not what he said, you ignorant wretch. Your Spanish is worse than your English.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thx guys ...

Also what tire psi do you recommend? I usually do about 30psi but when I prerode OO to Firetower on sunday I found that so much of it was gravel road and smooth double track that I wondered if i should run higher pressure like 40 or 45 ? There was some bouncy baby head rocky areas, but the majority is pretty smooth so I wonder if overall youd be faster with higher pressure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I've raced there in the rain before and can't remember any real trouble spots. Like others have said the roads will have their puddles that you can usually go around or just blast through the smaller ones. The ski trails Soil is sandy enough that it will soak up the water and stay pretty firm. I'm running Bonty XDX's front and rear 32psi.

Members who have read this thread: 0