Wausau 24- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wausau 24

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Wausau 24

Signed up for the Wausau 24 hr race on a team with 3 other people. Everyone is very competent riders, but this is the first time any of us are doing a 24 hr race. Any advice and thoughts from Wausau or 24 hr veterans? It will also be the first time for everyone to 9 mile. Not sure what to expect for the camping situation.
    Haven't decided on a racer swap strategy. Thinking of changing every lap until the night laps start and then maybe every couple laps if the team wants to get some sleep.
    We hope to be competitive but aren't planning to win.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Bring plenty of food and water, especially for the middle of the night. The on-site food is very good during the day, but at night you are on your own. Bring 3 or 4 sets of bibs and jerseys to change clothes in between your turns.

Make sure you have your lighting dialed in beforehand. 2 years ago was my first time riding at night and I rented my light. Things didn't go well for me and I crashed pretty hard.

There are plenty of places to rough camp. If you've never ridden 9 mile, try to get there early enough Friday to get a couple laps in the direction the race is run. Some of the rock gardens ride much differently in the opposite direction. I prefer the old direction the race was run, the new way feels slower to me.

I prefer doing 1 lap rotations during the day and 2 lap rotations at night. A lap is around an hour and fast riders are sub-50 minutes so keep that in mind. The only problem with this strategy is the fireworks and loud music when the 12 hour events finish. If you are a light sleeper it will wake you up. Try to take a short power nap during the day if you can.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the advice. Hadn't thought about the multiple sets of bibs and jerseys. That will be a lot of wardrobe changes.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Anyone know the elevation change of one lap?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Nine Mile doesn't have much elevation.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Has anyone done this Single Speed and what what your gearing and tire choice. looking to tackle this with my SS this year.